Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
sagebrush wrote:...Bleacher report...
And who is exactly is James Onusko and what are his qualifications regarding undrafted hockey prospects ? He could be as stupid as the people who cover prospects at the giant shithole called hockeysfuture.
Bleacher Report has some of the worst hockey articles I have read. It's just a place to hang ads.

That's just it. At least guys like Mckenzie and Pierre watch these kids play so they are a bit more plugged than James Onusko .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

To be honest I was hoping the Canucks would have picked Nichushkin at 9 because he can be that elite big winger who burns down the wing and finishes extremely well around the net.

My only concern with Horvat from what I've read is that he doesn't project as a big-time point producer but I've heard some Mike Richards comparisons as well, and if he turns out to be a Mike Richards type player, I'll be more than happy with the pick.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

coco_canuck wrote:To be honest I was hoping the Canucks would have picked Nichushkin at 9 because he can be that elite big winger who burns down the wing and finishes extremely well around the net.

My only concern with Horvat from what I've read is that he doesn't project as a big-time point producer but I've heard some Mike Richards comparisons as well, and if he turns out to be a Mike Richards type player, I'll be more than happy with the pick.
Yeah at #9 this was a way too safe of a pick I was hoping for Lazar, but I reckon BoHo will be a great player with a top ceiling as a 2nd line two-way center, at least Shinkaruk has elite talent - a steal at #24.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

SKYO wrote: Yeah at #9 this was a way too safe of a pick I was hoping for Lazar, but I reckon BoHo will be a great player with a top ceiling as a 2nd line two-way center, at least Shinkaruk has elite talent - a steal at #24.
I like Horvat more than I like Lazar.

If it wasn't Nichushkin at 9 Horvat and Wennberg were the two players I would have considered.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Haven't seen him at all, but from what I'm reading he sounds exactly like Mike Richards in his draft year. Good skater, physical but not overly so, intangibles off the charts, just not sure how he's going to score. Worked out ok for Richards.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Cornuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
sagebrush wrote:...Bleacher report...
And who is exactly is James Onusko and what are his qualifications regarding undrafted hockey prospects ? He could be as stupid as the people who cover prospects at the giant shithole called hockeysfuture.
Bleacher Report has some of the worst hockey articles I have read. It's just a place to hang ads.
That's interesting, since you referenced another Bleacher report on Horvat's face off prowess, & completeness as a player.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

sagebrush wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
That's interesting, since you referenced another Bleacher report on Horvat's face off prowess, & completeness as a player.
Good point. I honestly didn't mean to use BR, and apologize for linking to that site. I was just in a rush to find info on the kid. :oops:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^ We all want Horvat to develop into a star. I'm just trying to be realistic.

If others know of more credible, detailed reviews on this player, I'd like to see them.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So I mentioned this coppernblue series in the Shinkaruk thread, they don't paint a rosy picture of Horvat:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/18/44 ... omparables

Buuuuut, when you're doing straight math on the regular season scoring stats of a player whose play improved as the season and then playoffs wore on, I guess that's not going to be too surprising.

Another name I heard bandied about today in relation to Horvat was Patrice Bergeron. If he can turn out anything like Bergeron or Richards I'd be very happy with the pick.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

A good number of breakaways in the highlights clips, showed some pretty good speed.

It does seem like quite a few goals were scored by using the huge size advantage to his benefit, not so sure if that will translate to the Bigs. I wouldn't be surprised by a Kesler-like progression, as his offensive game might need to adjust to playing against men.

Also, that playoff goal-from-the-belly was awesome!
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Lets see how he does in Penticton (hopefully, with Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Blomstrand, Schroeder, Corrado, Tommernes, McNally, Lack, Eriksson).

The prospect pool is looking better, but both good & bad reviews deserve some skepticism.
GoalieDad
CC Rookie

Post by GoalieDad »

I don't get it. I can't find a discussion of the merits of the Schneider deal. WTF? (I think that's what the kids say.)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

GoalieDad wrote:I don't get it. I can't find a discussion of the merits of the Schneider deal. WTF? (I think that's what the kids say.)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9920
The only HW the Canucks need