The Goalie Market

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

The Goalie Market

Post by $lacker »

There has been a lot of activity on the goalie market this last week, and with the Canucks current goalie situation I thought I would post a summary in here.

Market News and Rumours

@tsnbobmckenzie: No surprise but that said, still worth a "wow." Flyers buy out Ilya Bryzgalov. http://bit.ly/12nqGIs

@jhiitela Kiprusoff has told to FIN national team that he is retiring. "If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that." #Flames

SKA has reportedly offered $10 million a year to Bobrovsky, and his pay could be exempted from the KHL salary cap under league “rules, which allow certain major signings not to be counted, at the league’s discretion. http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130623/669811773.html

Daniel Friedman ‏@DFriedmanWFAN 42s
Whether the #Isles buyout Rick DiPietro this season or next isn't particularly telling. The've moved on; that is clear as day.

@davegisaac: Homer pours ice water on Luongo thoughts. "I don't see how that would work." (Philly)

Recent Transactions:

Bernier to leaves for Frattin, Scrivens and 2nd rd pick
Backstrom re-signs with Wild For 3 Years

Top UFA’s:
Tim Thomas
Bryzgalov
Nik Khabibulin
Mike Smith

Potential Trade Options
Ryan Miller – Buffalo
Jonas Hiller- Anaheim

Teams Looking For a #1
Potentially Columbus
Potentially Phoenix
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Calgary
Last edited by $lacker on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The Goalie Market

Post by $lacker »

With all that said, it's hard to see where Luongo fits in the goalie carousel.

The only two teams crazy enough to take on his contract are, IMO, Philly (EDIT: Paul Holmgren has now said he will not pursue Luongo. Do you believe him?) or NYI. Even then I would suspect the Nucks would need to take back one bad contract.

Could there be a potentially bigger deal to Philly involving Edler?
Last edited by $lacker on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Send Schneider and Kassian to Boston for Lucic.

Tuugoals Fast choked!
2011..... the one that got away.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Tuugoals Fast choked!
Hahahahaha

that's awesome
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I love some of the banter on some of the websites. There are people out there who are touting their number 1 goalie as the best... on the trade market. So let's see, they don't want this goalie on their team (probably slagged them ad nauseam) but are virulently defending them as better trade material than the other goalies on the market. The Buffalo and Anaheim guys are priceless.

What also gives me a couple of chuckles are the people who scream "NOOOOOO!!!" when presented rumours that Luongo is being traded to their team, but then turn around and say if Luongo's bought out, there'd be 29 teams who would love to have them.

Has Canuck hatred reached these absurd depths? Have people really adopted the Orwellian doublethink of the Toronto media establishment when it comes to the Canucks and Luongo?

...and I was starting to think there was no such thing as 'sheeple'. :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

$lacker wrote:Top UFA’s:
Tim Thomas
Bryzgalov
Nik Khabibulin
Mike Smith
I think Bryz and Smith are the only real options for a team that doesn't want to take a major gamble, and even then there's the Dave Tippett effect to think about.

The lesser options probably include Nabokov and Theodore.

Tim Thomas, as usual, is a complete wild card.
Potential Trade Options
Ryan Miller – Buffalo
Jonas Hiller- Anaheim
Roberto Luongo - Vancouver :crazy:

I also wouldn't be surprised to see MAF made available. The Pens can't seriously go back to this guy again, can they?
Teams Looking For a #1
Potentially Columbus
Potentially Phoenix
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Calgary
Pittsburgh.
edit: and potentially Buffalo if they deal Miller. Doubt they hand the reigns to Enroth.

I'd be pretty suprised if Florida isn't in the market, although they may just stick with Theodore, but obviously Markstrom's not ready to carry the load for them in 50-60 games.
Last edited by dbr on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky can now fight it out for that 10M contract and the right to be Russia's starter in the Olympics.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Does this mean that Philly is now in the market for Luongo?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:Does this mean that Philly is now in the market for Luongo?
They have been all along.

This is an expected move to get the ducks in a row.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote: Top UFA’s:
Tim Thomas
Bryzgalov
Nik Khabibulin
Mike Smith
hmmm I'd say....

Thomas is done.

Bryz to KHL.

Kabby to rehab/old folks home.

Smith gets re-signed by Phoenix.

Might add Khudobin to that list in a 1a/1b situation.
$lacker wrote: Potential Trade Options
Ryan Miller – Buffalo
Jonas Hiller- Anaheim
Kinda get the feeling both "illers" will remain with their respective teams for one more year (until the kids are ready).

Could be wrong.
$lacker wrote: Teams Looking For a #1
Potentially Columbus
Potentially Phoenix
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Calgary
Haven't given this alotta thought (and I'm in a hurry) but what about...

Florida, St. Louis, Minnesota, Edmonton, and Washington.

I would think most of those teams might be interested in an upgrade. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

The longer this plays out with Luongo, the more likely it seems to me a buyout is possible, or at least an attempt at buying out. A team like Edmonton might jump on the chance to pick up RL on waivers as I doubt he would ever sign there.

If this is true, does MG not owe it to the team to at least explore the possibility of trading Schneider instead? One would assume that GIllis could get better value than Bernier, perhaps a 1st rd pick and a good young player. If Philly were to offer up say Couturier/B. Schenn and a 1st Rd pick for Cory, would Lu/Couturier/1st rd pick not be more solid than Corey and a 18 year buyout?
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

$lacker wrote:The longer this plays out with Luongo, the more likely it seems to me a buyout is possible, or at least an attempt at buying out. A team like Edmonton might jump on the chance to pick up RL on waivers as I doubt he would ever sign there.

If this is true, does MG not owe it to the team to at least explore the possibility of trading Schneider instead? One would assume that GIllis could get better value than Bernier, perhaps a 1st rd pick and a good young player. If Philly were to offer up say Couturier/B. Schenn and a 1st Rd pick for Cory, would Lu/Couturier/1st rd pick not be more solid than Corey and a 18 year buyout?
Intriguing idea 'slacker'.
Since MG set up Luongo with an impossible contract to unload (seemingly so), another option would indeed be to do as you suggested. I would imagine we could get a pretty damn good return for Schneider. Say what people will, Lou WILL get a team to the playoffs, the issue is what he might do in the 'big games' once he gets there.

Schneider for a power forward and a draft pick??

You got to wonder what's going to unfold as this years off season evolves!? You would think that a non-option for Gillis is to do nothing... there's a lot he has to do get 'things' on track for next season, especially if the Canucks are going to contend again. We're limited for options though and IF another team is willing to offer up some decent goods for CS, one would have to think that MG has to entertain it.
cc oldtimer
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't think a buyout is likely.

That being said, for the sake of argument - I think there's a lot to be said for being a winning franchise; one that decides which players belong in the group management believes will help them win, and then builds around those players. (Roberto Luongo was one of those players once, but he is not anymore.) I think keeping your second favourite goaltender around for at least five or six more years - when everyone knows he is your second favourite goaltender - really detracts from that expectation that a franchise projects.

If the Canucks don't believe that Roberto is the guy any longer and trade away a superior player out of expedience - what does that say about the organization?

Maybe nothing. But maybe it starts to seem like your franchise would rather avoid a pricey buy out than to win at all costs...

In the Roberto Luongo + this young player + that draft pick vs. Corey Schneider bargain, the best player involved is still Corey Schneider.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote: The longer this plays out with Luongo, the more likely it seems to me a buyout is possible
The ONLY reason to buyout Luongo would be to avoid the future Recapture penalty.

And I agree with the majority who say that's not a big deal.

It's silly to say "the longer this plays out... " because the best time to trade him hasn't happened yet

(best time since it became obvious he wants out).

The best time to trade him thus far will be between 48-hours-after-season-ended until the draft.

As an elite goaltender, Luongo has a lot of value in that window... considering the market (scroll up).

And will you rookies PLEASE stop posting that Schneids goes instead of Luongo!

Lu has made it clear that he wants to go East.

Gillis has made it clear he is going to trade Lu.

So yeah.... just stop. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:And will you rookies PLEASE stop posting that Schneids goes instead of Luongo!

Lu has made it clear that he wants to go East.

Gillis has made it clear he is going to trade Lu.

So yeah.... just stop. :hmmm:
It's pretty funny how many people can't let go.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society