Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:Overall, I tend to agree. about Tortorella. His habit of publicly putting guys down and airing of grievances is certainly not my style.
It is not the style of GMMG either which is the one thing that puzzles me of the Torts rumours.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:It is not the style of GMMG either which is the one thing that puzzles me of the Torts rumours.
Guidance from above perhaps? Friendly advice from GMMG's boss?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just heard that Torts is not the number one choice at this point. Maybe his interview didn't go well.

Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. So they are doing all the interviews with all other available candidates and sort of ranking them but are waiting and will wait to see if tippet becomes available. If he does I expect them to make him an offer. If they don't get Tippet the plan is to have all the other candidates ranked and ready to make an offer at that point.

So from what I was told today as long as there is a chance that Tippet will become available the Canucks will not be making any coaching offers.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:Overall, I tend to agree. about Tortorella. His habit of publicly putting guys down and airing of grievances is certainly not my style.
It is not the style of GMMG either which is the one thing that puzzles me of the Torts rumours.
Maybe Gillis has finally woken up to the smell of stale shit that is coming from the locker room.

Hopefully he was also unimpressed with Bieksa's comments in the Province about not needing a coach to crack the whip.....generally I find that "employees" state what they want under the headline of what they need. I most cases employees prefer a comfortable and complacent work environment that minimizes pressure and consequences for failures.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just heard that Torts is not the number one choice at this point. Maybe his interview didn't go well.

Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. So they are doing all the interviews with all other available candidates and sort of ranking them but are waiting and will wait to see if tippet becomes available. If he does I expect them to make him an offer. If they don't get Tippet the plan is to have all the other candidates ranked and ready to make an offer at that point.

So from what I was told today as long as there is a chance that Tippet will become available the Canucks will not be making any coaching offers.
Which makes sense, as they said they plan to have a coach in place by July 5th.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:
Topper wrote:
Maybe Gillis has finally woken up to the smell of stale shit that is coming from the locker room.

Hopefully he was also unimpressed with Bieksa's comments in the Province about not needing a coach to crack the whip.....generally I find that "employees" state what they want under the headline of what they need. I most cases employees prefer a comfortable and complacent work environment that minimizes pressure and consequences for failures.
What a load of crap. Flown Westjet lately? Employees are more than capable to rise above given the choice.
Fuck the boss/coach that treats others like shyte.
These players are adults, extremely well paid professionals and know what they need. Look what happened under Keenan...I don't know about you but I never want to go through that again.
That said. If a player or team is shit then they deserve a coaches/GMs wrath.
AV losty the room is all, it happens all the time. You do not fill the room with bile.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just heard that Torts is not the number one choice at this point. Maybe his interview didn't go well.

I really like Tippet too but the fact remains he has never won a Cup.

Maybe he's hungry, maybe he's safe.

We wait I guess, thanks for the info HW as always...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Re Tippet: the City of Glendale has a meeting I think on the 27th of June to decide the fate of the Coyotes. If they don't support the bail out package, then maybe Tippet will be looking for greener pastures. In any case he is under contract until June 30, so we won't know for a while.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. ..........
That explains the rush to sign Sestito.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. ..........
That explains the rush to sign Sestito.
Whooosh.

I would be very happy if Dave Tippett became the Canucks’ next head coach. Frankly, I don’t see it happen as Phoenix Coyotes employees seem to be incredibly loyal, but Tippett is obviously a great coach and doesn’t have the baggage of Tortorella.

Tippett has an impressive 427-252-28-79 all time coaching record, and has only missed the playoffs twice. He’s never gone the distance, but then again he has rarely had an above average group of talent to work with.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

herb wrote: Tippett has an impressive 427-252-28-79 all time coaching record, and has only missed the playoffs twice. He’s never gone the distance, but then again he has rarely had an above average group of talent to work with.
He also seems to always get the best out of his goaltender/goalie coach. Marty Turco, Dan Ellis, Ilya Bryzgalov, Mike Smith even Jason LaBarbera to some extent all had outstanding years under Tippett. I understand a lot of this has to do with that lovely defensive system he has always employed and he has had a few great defensemen on those teams... but I can't imagine that Tampa, Philly, Chicago etc. play such terrible defense that the goalies picked up from Dallas/Phoenix just get lit up after? Tough to believe that Tippett didn't have something to do with that, and I would be interested to see what he could do with Cory in net.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Maybe Fonzie couldn't help himself during the interview and told MG to sit on it?

I wouldn't mind hiring Tippett at this point, his style might be similar to Stevens but his resume with weaker rosters certainly makes him the front-runner.

It would just be weird if AV and Torts ended up swapping teams...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Anybody concerned that Tippett would turn us into the 2003 Minnesota Wild? The '07 Canucks are about as close to that as I ever want us to go.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Rumsfeld wrote:Anybody concerned that Tippett would turn us into the 2003 Minnesota Wild? The '07 Canucks are about as close to that as I ever want us to go.
Count me in with you, Rummy. I frankly see little to no difference between him and Vigneault in terms of having zero connect with players and just being a 'X's and O's' coach. For all of Phoenix's vaunted high picks and prospects, what prospects (outside of Yandle, and maybe Hanzal) have flourished under him in Phoenix? I don't see a recommendable track record with youngsters. Look how much better Kyle Turris did once he got out from under Tippett's thumb. If he gets hired, I'd be setting roots down in Utica or pulling a Denis Lemieux with my agent if I was Jordan Schroeder. God only knows how he would ruin Kassian or Jensen.

He trapped his teams into the playoffs with no offensive innovation or production. He hasn't won anything - not even a division title. If Tippett gets hired, wake me when both he and Gillis are fired. I won't be able to stay awake, let alone watch.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Is there any coach capable of coaching in an acceptable fashion/level of our Vancouver Canucks
Appears not. Not available at least.. Fuck we really are pathetic.. ally devoted
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….