Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Meds »

Boston Canucker wrote:If one of the objectives for a new coach is to work on developing young players, I'm not so sure how Torts then fits here.
He fits here because he will make players who don't want to push for the next level very uncomfortable. If nothing else he will be a tool Gillis will be able to use to assess players who want a country club rather than a Stanley Cup.
Boston Canucker wrote: He had some successes (Callahan and a number of the D men did blossom under his coaching, it is true) but he can also be brutal, loook at Kreider. I don't know. I didn't see Torts get Nash/Gaborik etc to go to that next level, and his pp was crap, so I don't see the fit.
I don't think anyone has ever gotten Nash or Gaborik to really get to that next level, at least not on a consistent basis. Nash has only reached the point per game mark twice in his career, his playoff numbers are 8 points in 16 games (5 in 12 with NY). Gaborik has been a streaky player his entire career, loads of offensive talent, but also injury prone. Gaborik has only been a true playoff performer one time in his NHL career, too bad for the Canucks it was in 2003. His numbers have always been better when playing in Europe.
Boston Canucker wrote: Maybe his nutjob bullying could work for a year or two, pull off a run to the Cup, but that seems a hail mary pass. If Gillis is looking for a coach who can be a long term guy, work with the young guys as you develop the transition to the next core of leaders over the next 5-7 years then Torts is surely the wrong guy. I hope he's not hired. Stevens seems to make sense, and Bylsma is be becomes free.
I don't get the impression that Gillis is looking for a long term coach. He may say that, but remember, with GMMG it's all smoke and mirrors. I think he wants a coach who can kick this group in the ass while they still have the talent and energy left to get it done. I think he is indeed going for the Hail Mary behind the bench right now, with this current roster it's all he has left.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hey Doc, what's the deal with Gillis, does he have a thing for wops? It must be Aqualini meddling. :lol:

Torts
Sestito
Volpatti
Pinnizotto
Mancari
Corrado
Luongo
Duco
Yeah is this sumuvabeetcha running a hockey team or a pizzeria?? :evil:

:wink:
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

vic wrote:Simmonds, Schenn and Johnson were not part of their core group. All three were (are) young prospects playing in the big-leagues. Those three (plus a few picks) got the Kings Carter and Richards.

The biggest thing that turned around the King's season was bringing in a new coach. Sutter lit a fire under guys like Brown, Doughty, Richards, Kopitar, Williams, Mitchell, Stoll, Quick and others who were part of the core and still are.

LA traded a young Jack Johnson for a legit 2nd line center and got a new coach. The core remained in-tact.
The bottom line is LA didn't think they were good enough and then went and added two top six forwards to their core group. They gave up a lot to get Carter and Richards, but didn't have to sacrifice any of their core players. If the Canucks could add two forwards the calibre of those two, oh boy what an upgrade to our offense that would be. No longer would we have to rely strictly on the Sedins for offense.

Changing the coach is one thing, adding two players the calibre of Richards and Carter is a whole other ballgame in terms of forward talent. LA was able to add to their core, without subtracting any core players, which is huge. I was Gillis had been in on those trades instead of Lombardi.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:This.

The Canucks have been removing offence for 3 years now. Even if they were aging or headcase players, with questionable value, they were offensive and have not been replaced.

Cody Hodgson was more offensive than Zack Kassian
Michael Samuelsson was more offensive than David Booth
Sami Salo was more offensive than Jason Garrison
Christian Erhoff was more offensive than Chris Tanev
Raffi Torres was more offensive than Dale Weise
Pavol Demitra was more offensive than Mason Raymond (or Janik Hansen)

Not saying these moves were bad per se, just that a lot of the creativity has been replaced with a lack thereof. And, its not as if the replacements are a bunch of assholes and crushers.
I agree with the above with the exception of Jason Garrison, who has been an upgrade on Salo. Other than that, I think you’re bang on with your assessment.

Really, if you look back at 2011, 179 points offensive output was removed from the roster and not effectively replaced when Samuelsson, Ehrhoff and Torres left town. This has just increased the offensive burden on Hank and Dank at a time when really we should be thinking about transitioning them to the secondary offensive unit.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bylsma given a two year extension, take him off any list of potential coaches.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Bylsma given a two year extension, take him off any list of potential coaches.
Sign and trade?

:look:
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I never thought Bylsma was going to be available anyway, although, this smells a bit like AV last year. I bet he gets one more chance, and if his team craps out in four straight again he’ll be done.

You have to think MAF is done in Pittsburgh, no?

Ownership in Pittsburgh has to be pissed at giving up all those assets at the trade deadline, having a healthy team in the playoffs, and having nothing to show for it.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:You have to think MAF is done in Pittsburgh, no?

Ownership in Pittsburgh has to be pissed at giving up all those assets at the trade deadline, having a healthy team in the playoffs, and having nothing to show for it.
Nope Shero just said "I'm not getting rid of Marc-Andre Fleury." he believes MAF will go back to his 08-09 self again. ha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote: Ownership in Pittsburgh has to be pissed at giving up all those assets at the trade deadline, having a healthy team in the playoffs, and having nothing to show for it.
Well they did make the final four, which is usually considered a successful season. Obviously there was a cup or bust mentality in Steeltown this year, but it wasn't a complete disaster.

Nothing to show for it would be like, for example, getting swept in the first round by a middling playoff team like the San Jose Sharks...

I have a hard time believing that Shero is being honest with regards to his comments about MAF.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Nope Shero just said "I'm not getting rid of Marc-Andre Fleury." he believes MAF will go back to his 08-09 self again. ha
Sounds like Burke's never ending defense of Cloutier. Face it Ray, MAF is not a good goaltender.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Well they did make the final four, which is usually considered a successful season. Obviously there was a cup or bust mentality in Steeltown this year, but it wasn't a complete disaster.

Nothing to show for it would be like, for example, getting swept in the first round by a middling playoff team like the San Jose Sharks...

I have a hard time believing that Shero is being honest with regards to his comments about MAF.
Generally that would be a very successful season for most teams, but when you obviously go “all in’ with three big deadline day acquisitions and end up going four and out in embarrassing fashion, that’s a disaster. Remember, they only scored two goals against the Bruins in four games!

The Pens were an inch from losing in the first round to the Islanders!
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Stevens seems the most promising prospective coach (assuming Tippet re-signs). Gillis is mining the interviews for ideas.

While Stevens would help turn it around, it ain't enough. Still waiting on Gillis for signs of substantive changes to team culture. Significant roster changes please.

Torts would change the team culture & provide a three ring media circus. Possibly at the cost of losing the room in record time, and convincing the Sedins to go home. A high risk move with low probability of success.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

sagebrush wrote: Gillis is mining the interviews for ideas.
I think he is also mining for associate coaches...Many of those being interviewed have previously been head coaches and are now working as asssistants on coaching staffs in hopes that they can secure another head coaching job in the future...

And those who are unemployed need to find work, and if its not as a head coach then being an assistant is still work....

As much as AV and Bowness were joined at the hip, who would be on the roladex to draw an assistant coach from if a John Stevens type of hire is made as head coach?

If Stevens is the leading candidate for head coach, it's interesting to guess which of the other candidates if any will be added to fill out the coaching staff....

Take care....
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Some bits on John Stevens

His first season with the Flyers saw his team set a franchise record for consecutive losses (10 games) and finish the 2006–07 season with the club's worst record in its 40-year history. The Flyers set an NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next – 101 points in the 2005–06 season to 56 points in the 2006–07 season for lowest point total in the league.
However, as stunning as their fall from grace was the previous season, Stevens guided the Flyers to an immediate renaissance in 2007–08. The Flyers won 42 games and amassed 95 points in the regular season under Stevens's guidance. In the playoffs, the Flyers beat the Washington Capitals in the first round and upset the top-seeded Montreal Canadiens in the second round before falling to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference Finals. For this, The Hockey News honored Stevens with their Coach of the Year award.
Stevens was fired by the Flyers on December 4, 2009 after a 13–11–1 start and with a team expected to be a Stanley Cup favorite sitting in 10th place in the Eastern Conference.[1]
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

He coached a shitty team

Next year he was named coach of the year by a respected media outfit

Then he got fired

Nice detective work there Dude.