Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

That's why HWs prophecy of Torture-Ella will come true...

Bow your heads and honour thy widow
If you need air...call it in
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Tiger wrote:Eakins would be a fool to jump onto an obvious sinking ship..
Disagree. The Canucks are still a playoff team and will likely remain so for the next 2-3 years. For a coach like Eakins with no NHL experience that is pretty important. He coaches a team to 2-3 years in the playoffs and he's almost guaranteed another NHL coaching position unless he manages to stay on the job and miss the playoffs for years. With the Oilers, Eakins will need to make the playoffs and there's no guarantee that Eakins can coach that team into the playoffs in the time he is there.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

With Eakins gone, I am pulling for John Stevens. He has a pretty good resume with younger players which will happen with the Canucks this year. I see both Jensen and Gaunce making the team along with Corrado. If hired I would like Stevens to take a look at Willie Desjardins as an assistant. I liked what his ex-player had to say about him. Sounds like both of them would do well with youth.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Canuck-One wrote:With Eakins gone, I am pulling for John Stevens. He has a pretty good resume with younger players which will happen with the Canucks this year. I see both Jensen and Gaunce making the team along with Corrado. If hired I would like Stevens to take a look at Willie Desjardins as an assistant. I liked what his ex-player had to say about him. Sounds like both of them would do well with youth.
Looking at who's available I'm inclined to agree. Willie Desjardins as an assistant or associate coach would be a good idea as well. I've heard others say elsewhere that Krueger may be a good fit to run special teams - or at least the powerplay.

I would say the choice of assistants would be almost as important as the choice of head coach. Who else might be good fits to round out the coaching staff?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Yeah especially with Bieksa who seems like the leader of the 'country club atmosphere' pack here in canuck land.
Kevin has been the Country Club President for some time with his Vice Presidents Ryan, Alex and Roberto.

I don’t want to have the public airing of dirty laundry we’d see with Tortorella, but I’d like to see a coach with some balls to challenge the roster, from top to bottom. These guys have gotten used to it being easy to be a Canuck.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Agreed Herb!
--

Should we give Tanev the Mattias Ohlund contract? 5 years, aav $2M per?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Not sure how accurate that is... If true, it might be a very good signing.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/06/08 ... ian-folin/
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

rikster wrote: the early returns on McTavish is that he seems to be a tad irrational who acts before he thinks....
You don't say? :drink:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Jovocop wrote:Not sure how accurate that is... If true, it might be a very good signing.

Says in that same article that he has turned down the offer and will return to school. :?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Not sure how accurate that is... If true, it might be a very good signing.

Says in that same article that he has turned down the offer and will return to school. :?
I could not find anything saying that he is 100% heading back to school. All I can see is that he is not sure about leaving school now.
It’s a big decision for Folin. As he said himself, you never know what can happen in three years. He could turn down the deal and get his education, only to regress in his play (or worse, get injured) and never have NHL teams beating down his door again. Or he could turn pro now, only to plateau and play out his entry-level deal without ever making the jump to the bigs. Three years from now, he could be without a contract and a diploma.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah they usually play 2 or maybe 3 years in college, if they play good enough eventually it doesn't take long for players to realize how much money they can make in such a short period of time in the NHL, plus they can always return to school down the line if they suck that bad, but most don't and end up making millions of dollars in the NHL over the course of their pro hockey careers.
Hell even playing on a farm team they could be making as much as an average doctor or lawyer lol.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Jovocop wrote:
$lacker wrote:

I could not find anything saying that he is 100% heading back to school. All I can see is that he is not sure about leaving school now.
It’s a big decision for Folin. As he said himself, you never know what can happen in three years. He could turn down the deal and get his education, only to regress in his play (or worse, get injured) and never have NHL teams beating down his door again. Or he could turn pro now, only to plateau and play out his entry-level deal without ever making the jump to the bigs. Three years from now, he could be without a contract and a diploma.
At the very top of the article:

UPDATE: According to an update from the same website, Folin has declined the offer on the table and decided to return to school for at least one more year.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote: At the very top of the article:

UPDATE: According to an update from the same website, Folin has declined the offer on the table and decided to return to school for at least one more year.
I completely missed that :lol: ... Thanks $lacker!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

It seems like the Canucks will have their own farm team next season in NY...
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

A deal has been finalized that the Canucks will relocate their new AHL club in Utica, N.Y. for next season.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:It seems like the Canucks will have their own farm team next season in NY...
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

A deal has been finalized that the Canucks will relocate their new AHL club in Utica, N.Y. for next season.
Great, now we can sigh Ruff, send him to the minors and bring him up when Tortilinni coughs up a hair ball next season and causes a player rebellion :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)