Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya ESQ I'm sorta in between the two positions I guess. I do feel we need to have a season where we let the young guys develop and show us what they have. I also agree that our cap pain may only be for one season as the cap will move upwards again, in a year when 12.2 million comes off the books in the twins.

Short of blowing the team up this year I am coming around to the idea that tinkering may be the best thing for the long term. Keep the team competitive while letting the youngsters earn their game. So much will depend upon Cory in the net anyway. If he stinks it won't matter what MG does, if he shines then he can keep us in every game including the playoffs.

If Booth stays and shits the bed again we can dump him next year. If he has a bounce back year that can only help us.

I'd like MG to be able to get some decent picks and prospects for whoever he trades. Re-stock the farm team if he is going to keep the core basically intact. We should have a better idea by Dec where the team is heading. Not too long to wait :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya ESQ I'm sorta in between the two positions I guess. I do feel we need to have a season where we let the young guys develop and show us what they have. I also agree that our cap pain may only be for one season as the cap will move upwards again, in a year when 12.2 million comes off the books in the twins.

Short of blowing the team up this year I am coming around to the idea that tinkering may be the best thing for the long term. Keep the team competitive while letting the youngsters earn their game. So much will depend upon Cory in the net anyway. If he stinks it won't matter what MG does, if he shines then he can keep us in every game including the playoffs.

If Booth stays and shits the bed again we can dump him next year. If he has a bounce back year that can only help us.

I'd like MG to be able to get some decent picks and prospects for whoever he trades. Re-stock the farm team if he is going to keep the core basically intact. We should have a better idea by Dec where the team is heading. Not too long to wait :mrgreen:
The more I think about it, the more I'm resigning myself to the prospect of the team having to take a step back to take a couple steps forward. You could argue that they've taken a couple steps back already, but you think back to the season Chicago had last year and now look at them.

It seems if there was a year to stock up on picks this year would be it. That said, they're saying 2015 will likely be even better/deeper. I don't know if I wanna think that far. :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya ESQ I'm sorta in between the two positions I guess. I do feel we need to have a season where we let the young guys develop and show us what they have. I also agree that our cap pain may only be for one season as the cap will move upwards again, in a year when 12.2 million comes off the books in the twins.

The more I think about it, the more I'm resigning myself to the prospect of the team having to take a step back to take a couple steps forward. You could argue that they've taken a couple steps back already, but you think back to the season Chicago had last year and now look at them.

It seems if there was a year to stock up on picks this year would be it. That said, they're saying 2015 will likely be even better/deeper. I don't know if I wanna think that far. :?
Chicago has always had Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, and Bolland up front with Keith and Seabrook on the back end. Now they have Saad, Bickell and an improved 2nd D-pairing as well. What they really lacked last year was consistent goaltending and a solid work ethic, the personnel were always there.

I don't see the point of comparing ourselves to the Hawks because they have so much more firepower and depth than we do. Our roster isn't getting it done and we need to make at least one or two big moves.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Not to mention, the Hawks have proven they can win with their 2010 Cup win. We haven't proven anything.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: It's Eklund, lol are you kidding? Unless we're moving Edler and our own pick I don't see this happening. And even if we were... I don't want a fucking Russian.
Why would we be taking a Russian with the 4th or better pick?

There's only one Russian ranked in the top 10 and who says we would target him?
The Rumour Eklund posted had us moving up to draft Valeri Nichushkin, who is a 6'4 195 pound Malkin wannabe.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: It's Eklund, lol are you kidding? Unless we're moving Edler and our own pick I don't see this happening. And even if we were... I don't want a fucking Russian.
Why would we be taking a Russian with the 4th or better pick?

The Rumour Eklund posted had us moving up to draft Valeri Nichushkin, who is a 6'4 195 pound Malkin wannabe.
Who cares. He's still a Russian.

If Gillis doesn't start making moves that get us good North American players who WANT the Cup, I'm gonna be riding shotgun on the Dude's wagon.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: Why would we be taking a Russian with the 4th or better pick?

Who cares. He's still a Russian.

If Gillis doesn't start making moves that get us good North American players who WANT the Cup, I'm gonna be riding shotgun on the Dude's wagon.

Thanks for coming out, Mëds :lol:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: The Rumour Eklund posted had us moving up to draft Valeri Nichushkin, who is a 6'4 195 pound Malkin wannabe.
Can you provide a link to this rumour.

All I found was this, now I don't visit Eklunds site much and didn't do much digging mind you.
Hey all... It's 2 a.m. in the east and I was just texted by an extremely reliable source.

"You can almost hang your hat on this one, the Canucks look to be the team that will kick start the trading season and the deal could happen much sooner than anyone is expecting," the source continued. "While they are closing in on their coach they are also working like crazy to move into the top four at the draft..in fact they are supposedly mulling over a major offer as we speak."

The source wouldn't give me any further details at this point, but I don't believe Vancouver is the only team who may look to get out front of what may be a chaotic trade landscape two weeks from now...
Even the Canucks blogger on HockeyBuzz doesn't believe Gillis would go after the Russian, referring to it as a smoke screen and the likely targets may be others.

Trading up.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

The_Pauser wrote:Not to mention, the Hawks have proven they can win with their 2010 Cup win. We haven't proven anything.
So 16 wins back in 2010 means that much more than 15 wins in 2011?

BTW, the mighty Pens, with Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, Letang, etc (all of whom are 100% healthy as far as is known).... have scored a grand total of TWO (2) goals against Boston so far. The Pens even won a Cup, which by your logic, "proves".... what exactly? That they can get shitkicked by Boston even more thoroughly than the Canucks can?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: The Rumour Eklund posted had us moving up to draft Valeri Nichushkin, who is a 6'4 195 pound Malkin wannabe.
Can you provide a link to this rumour.

All I found was this, now I don't visit Eklunds site much and didn't do much digging mind you.
Well you asked... but it's Eklund so it's 100% falacy and there's no reason for the Canucks to be this aggressive. But I wasn't talking out my asshole so here it is:
Now, while the Canucks stuff is not exactly a scoop, what I was told "off the record" last week, but given the OK to talk about now (and don't ask me why I am allowed to now...it is a bigger mystery to me, but I will never betray a source's confidences) is the Canucks aren't targeting Drouin. They are putting the package out there with the hopes of grabbing Valeri Nichushkin.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/F ... bLDfSt4YWA
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Well you asked... but it's Eklund so it's 100% falacy and there's no reason for the Canucks to be this aggressive. But I wasn't talking out my asshole so here it is:
Didn't think that you were, just didn't want to go digging through the waste at Hockeybuzz in order to find it.

Thanks. Kid does look like a player but I do get the hesitation around drafting a Russian.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Island Nucklehead wrote:They are putting the package out there with the hopes of grabbing Valeri Nichushkin.

"Valeri Nichushkin looked like a man among boys," one scout noted adding, "If there was a Russian version of Eric Lindros this would be it."
Ouch.

Double whammy.
2011..... the one that got away.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:They are putting the package out there with the hopes of grabbing Valeri Nichushkin.

"Valeri Nichushkin looked like a man among boys," one scout noted adding, "If there was a Russian version of Eric Lindros this would be it."
Ouch.

Double whammy.
Yep. With all the jizz-flinging around this guy, I cringe at the package we'd have to get up to draft him...

No more Euro's. We have enough euro talent. Bring me A) Canadian talent, or B) Canadian Grit or C) Canadian Grit with some Talent.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The_Pauser wrote:

Ultimately I need to see some bigger names being moved. I would be sick to my stomach if we bring back the exact same roster.
I hope you have some barf bags because be prepared for the same team that we have seen the past few years with no changes to the core. MG does not know how to make a big trade.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I think the team under performed this year, more importantly I think the players know they s*it the bed this year so any new coaching voice will improve their play next season....

I think a positive take away from this season is that Gillis has now lost his players agent virginity regarding player loyalty and is willing to deal any player to improve the team...

It was also unfortunate that Kesler got sick on the eve of the playoffs, and worse that he passed it on to the twins who were dealing with the same illness during the playoffs....Maybe the new Johny Canuck third jersey the team is introducing next year will change "Canuck luck"....

The team desperately needs a true fourth line which Gillis can build this off season using kids and little cap space....Size and more size is what I'd like to see on that line...

I think the team needs to rid itself of those players who have built the teams negative reputation around the league and in the eastern media....

I've talked with some of the local writers and asked why they didn't come to the teams defence when it was being attacked by the CBC and other media during the Cup finals in 2011 and suggested that had they done so maybe some of the questionable calls would have gone their way....

Without saying so, the impression I got was that they too tired of some of the antics and they need a fresh new start that comes with some roster turn over....

I think its starts with Lapierre and coach AV and should include at least one of the core players....Too much negative energy spent fighting battles that they can't win....

The core players I'd be willing to move would be any of Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows....And I would offer any of those players in the Luongo deal to make it a bigger deal.....

That Islanders rumor followed by the news that Streit won't re sign makes a Luongo/Bieksa package to Long Island interesting to consider....

Take care...