The All Important Right Side

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

The All Important Right Side

Post by Meds »

We've got a thread for what UFA's Gillis should target, but since it's a jumble now I figured I'd fire this out to see what right shooting defensemen might be a good fit here and be worth a look.

Here's a short list of free agents that fit the description, their age, and current salary.

Joe Corvo, 35 - $2M.
Marek Zidlicky, 36 -$4M.
Michal Rozsival, 34 - $2M.
Ben Lovejoy, 29 - $500K.
Mike Kostka, 27 - $600K.
Ryan O'Byrne, 28 - $2M.
Kurtis Foster, 31 - $950K.
Steve Eminger, 29 - $750K.
Anton Babchuk, 29 - $2.5M.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: The All Important Right Side

Post by Topper »

left in dispair
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Out of that lot I'd rather go with Bieksa/Tanev/Corrado along the right side
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Benjo wrote:Out of that lot I'd rather go with Bieksa/Tanev/Corrado along the right side
No kidding.

I'm kind of torn on the issue of the right side myself. I don't think one of Edler or Garrison on the right side can be the default option anymore, and ideally, we'd want more experience and maybe size than Tanev and Corrado. That being said, at what point do we need to give the kids the reigns? Tanev and Corrado look like keepers, and will be cheap over the next few years. Both have impressed and both look like NHL players.

I think I'd be inclined to play Tanev in the top 4, Corrado on the bottom pairing and use the cap space saved filling out the forwards. The last thing this team needs is more big chunks of precious cap space wasted on bottom pairing d-men.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:left in dispair
It's slim pickings for sure.....
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Corrado is a keeper but we can't pencil him onto the roster yet. He needs to play some pro hockey and build up his confidence on the farm. He'd be the first callup when the inevitabe defense injuries begin.

I actually liked what I saw from Alberts at the end of last season, he was playing the best hockey of his career. A simple stay-at-home physical game with much-improved gap control.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Whenever Salo was injured and after his departure it is as if our D fell apart. They looked disorganized and out of position. Having a strong R side is imperative for this team. Bieksa helps but his absence/presence doesn't seem to have the impact that Salo's did.

I too liked what Alberts brought and as a bottom pairing or the number 7 guy I'd re-sign him. Problem is he may want to go the way of Rome, guaranteed playing time.

At this point I'd swap Edler for a R sided D man of the same ilk.
The only HW the Canucks need
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Rumsfeld wrote:Corrado is a keeper but we can't pencil him onto the roster yet. He needs to play some pro hockey and build up his confidence on the farm. He'd be the first callup when the inevitabe defense injuries begin.
AV used up a year of his ELC by playing him the in the playoff this season.

If he is kept on the farm and only used as call up, might as well have kept AV behind the bench. The kid needs to play with NHL caliber players and develop in the big league - even if it's in a bottom 6 role. See: Tanev.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

vic wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Corrado is a keeper but we can't pencil him onto the roster yet. He needs to play some pro hockey and build up his confidence on the farm. He'd be the first callup when the inevitabe defense injuries begin.
AV used up a year of his ELC by playing him the in the playoff this season.

If he is kept on the farm and only used as call up, might as well have kept AV behind the bench. The kid needs to play with NHL caliber players and develop in the big league - even if it's in a bottom 6 role. See: Tanev.
I care about winning games and properly developing talent more than Corrado's ELC. He's better off playing a huge role against top AHL players than getting limited minutes in the NHL at this point. He also needs to get bigger and stronger. The team will IMO be better served with a veteran bottom-pairing guy who can actually inflict some punishment on the big forwards of the Western Conference. We already have a skinny young defenseman we are trying to develop in Tanev.

Now if Corrado is fantastic in camp and we have to give him a spot on the team, great. But we shouldn't go into this season counting on him playing with big club.

Tanev was 22 when he started playing a regular role with the big club. He also played college hockey with grown men.

Corrado is 20 and hasn't even played a game in the AHL. It's extremely unusual for a defenseman to jump right into the NHL out of junior and when it happens it often stunts the player's development.

It's not a good comparison.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think Corrado is due for a market correction in his play next season. He may start on the opening lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent down to Utica(?) at some point next season.

Maybe getting Kostka or Lovejoy as a bottom-pairing option on right D wouldn't hurt. Certainly better than putting Cam Barker there, for certain.

Hopefully Alberts gets persuaded to come back. Agree that he played some solid hockey down the stretch and his size and physicality are something the Canucks will need moving forward. Now that AV is gone, he may just stick around.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote:I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think Corrado is due for a market correction in his play next season. He may start on the opening lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent down to Utica(?) at some point next season.

Maybe getting Kostka or Lovejoy as a bottom-pairing option on right D wouldn't hurt. Certainly better than putting Cam Barker there, for certain.

Hopefully Alberts gets persuaded to come back. Agree that he played some solid hockey down the stretch and his size and physicality are something the Canucks will need moving forward. Now that AV is gone, he may just stick around.
If Edler is here then chances are Alberts leaves for guaranteed playing time.

Either that or Garrison is playing the right side on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Canucks will probably sign their Lukowich's, Vandermeers, Barkers and Joslin's this summer. If Corrado beats them out in camp, he'll play. If not, he won't.

Gillis has sold ownership on a plan, and they obviously still believe in it (for now). We shouldn't expect a completely different philosophy from the guy.

He wants young players to play, they're cheap... who wouldn't? If they aren't capable, he will find cheap replacements.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:
I care about winning games and properly developing talent more than Corrado's ELC. He's better off playing a huge role against top AHL players than getting limited minutes in the NHL at this point. He also needs to get bigger and stronger. The team will IMO be better served with a veteran bottom-pairing guy who can actually inflict some punishment on the big forwards of the Western Conference. We already have a skinny young defenseman we are trying to develop in Tanev.

Now if Corrado is fantastic in camp and we have to give him a spot on the team, great. But we shouldn't go into this season counting on him playing with big club.

Tanev was 22 when he started playing a regular role with the big club. He also played college hockey with grown men.

Corrado is 20 and hasn't even played a game in the AHL. It's extremely unusual for a defenseman to jump right into the NHL out of junior and when it happens it often stunts the player's development.

It's not a good comparison.
Not to nitpick, but Corrado played three AHL games last season (and recorded two assists).

For some reason, Corrado would be the least of my worries if he is penciled in next season. This team too many other big holes. I don't think playing Corrado on the bottom pairing would be a detriment to this team at all over other bottom pairing defenders we have seen of late.

Player development is another issue, maybe, but I have no problem giving a young guy the ropes if he looks capable, which Corrado does.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:At this point I'd swap Edler for a R sided D man of the same ilk.
no offense HW, but, who fits that bill, and is available?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

An interesting article.

I doubt the Canucks have the pieces to go for Malkin, but the suggestion that Letang might be available is very intriguing. Edler+ for Letang might work from the Penguins perspective for a couple reasons:
1. Edler is locked up on a cap-friendly contract for the long-term, while Letang only has one year left and will be getting a big pay-off next season.
2. Aquilini would probably swallow Fleury's contract and its $5 mil cap hit for 2 years.
3. The Pens only have one defenceman signed past next year.
4. Pens might be looking for a shake-up to the core as well if they get swept.