American Hockey?

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

American Hockey?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Where do the Americans Men Hockey Program stand with us now in Hockey. Lower Ground? Equal Ground? Higher Ground?

They have won the last 4 Golds at the World Under 18 Tournament. They just shallacked our best kids in the Under 20 category. Is this just a blip, or are we no longer the hockey super power and we should be expecting this from now on?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: American Hockey?

Post by rats19 »

Both.....the once wide gap has decreased immensley that is no doubt. In fact we may only have a slight edge, and that statement may be denial based bias..but I still believe we hold the edge.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The CHL is still the most accessible upper echelon development league. The opening of their doors to international players has been a huge benefit to all the countries.

You could always favour a draconian xenophobic system like the Swedes and the CFL.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Winning the last 4 golds at the World Under 18's, winning this years gold at the World Under 20's. There is a change on the wind, folks. The Americans are here to stay. First time in 14 years where we haven't won a medal. I gotta be honest with ya, this is exactly what the doctor has ordered. Somebody needs to throw a bomb at Hockey Canada's headquarters, and smash it to the ground, time to re-think things when it comes to the Junior Tournaments. The stats don't lie, we ain't that shit hot, according to the last few junior tournaments, the Americans are shit hot.

The problem with us we is that we seem to be believing our own bullshit and have forgotten that competitive pride and spirit. It's like it's our god given right to be the best in the world and when a team like the Americans say "I don't think so" , we have no push back, no pride in protecting our reputation? Time to stop handling these kids with kid gloves and elite treatment at the tournies. Hockey Canada needs to re-evaluate their mind-set. AND WHAT THE FUCK IS McKINNON PLAYING 4th LINE CHECKER! That's real brilliant, why even bring him?

TIme to put a Sutter back behind the bench and start coaching these kids with a little Whoop-assing, making them cry, for fuck sakes.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: McKINNON .... why even bring him?
For the life of me, I could not figure out why he was on the team other than hype. Everytime I saw him with the puck, he was easily pushed off it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: McKINNON .... why even bring him?
For the life of me, I could not figure out why he was on the team other than hype. Everytime I saw him with the puck, he was easily pushed off it.
It's the Canadian Hype Machine. If Jones, Barkov, Lindholm were Canadians they'd all be ranked ahead of McKinnon. The Biased Canadian Mentality.

If I'm picking first in the 2013 Entry Draft. I'm picking 4 names ahead of McKinnon - Barkov, Jones, Drouin and Lindholm. I get the feeling that Barkov may end up being the best of the bunch. I don't know if it was the role McKinnon was asked to play but it still doesn't mask the fact that he was completely under-whelming when he had his opportunities to shine, not impressed. Don't know much about Monahan, but being that he is Canadian I am sure he gets overrated as well. It's funny the least hyped Canadian, pre tourney - Drouin, looks to be the best of the Canadian bunch. Goes to show you, don't believe the hype!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

McKinnon hardly fucking played so why even bash him ? Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy and Harrington were absolutely horrific in the tournament. Sheifle did fuck all, Rattie did nothing and Huberdeau was weak. The coaching was terrible as well. He should have had those kids revved up but he didn't.

As for the US they have been gaining round for 20 years. They are in the conversation as one of the best teams in the world. They have always done well at the U 18 tourneys even when Canada was ripping off four straight gold medals. The reality is if Canada had ANY goaltending in 2010 and 2011 they would have had 6 golds in a row.

The US is good, the Swedes are good, the Russians , Finns and Czechs are pretty good. As for the men I still believe Canada is the best and I know they have way more depth than any country. Goaltending seems to be a real weak spot in this country right now though and it may very well cost Canada in Sochi.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:The CHL is still the most accessible upper echelon development league. The opening of their doors to international players has been a huge benefit to all the countries.

You could always favour a draconian xenophobic system like the Swedes and the CFL.
Well... draconian? It is wide open for all EU citizens; eg Gerber* and Kopitar played here before heading overseas, and teams are allowed three non-European players. Brian Rafalski and Tim Thomas are examples of North Americans who developed in Sweden before landing NHL contracts.

It's definitely restricted access for North Americans, but far from draconian. :hmmm:

*actually not sure if Gerber counted as European or non-European. Switzerland is part of the European Economic Space, but not the European Union.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:McKinnon hardly fucking played so why even bash him ? Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy and Harrington were absolutely horrific in the tournament. Sheifle did fuck all, Rattie did nothing and Huberdeau was weak. The coaching was terrible as well. He should have had those kids revved up but he didn't.

As for the US they have been gaining round for 20 years. They are in the conversation as one of the best teams in the world. They have always done well at the U 18 tourneys even when Canada was ripping off four straight gold medals. The reality is if Canada had ANY goaltending in 2010 and 2011 they would have had 6 golds in a row.

The US is good, the Swedes are good, the Russians , Finns and Czechs are pretty good. As for the men I still believe Canada is the best and I know they have way more depth than any country. Goaltending seems to be a real weak spot in this country right now though and it may very well cost Canada in Sochi.
Listen B-Mac, listen good...here's the deal, McKinnon needed to bring truth to the rumors of him being the so-called consensus 1st overall pick by being extra special at every opportunity he had in which he didn't unlike Drouin whom made the most of every opportunity given him which was why he was bumped up to the big line and that my friend is why I predict McKinnon as being the next great Alexander Daigle bust. As it stands right now, Chef Boi RD has Jones and Barkov battling it out for the no. 1 pick overall with Drouin and Lindholm battling it out for the 3rd pick overall. McKinnon and Monahan will battle it out for 5th pick overall. There is no question that Barkov and Jones should go 1 & 2, whatever order. Jones is that D-man ya want for the games that matter like the Playoffs. He gives your team an extra bit of confidence, i just love the kids cocky arrogance, has Sean Pronger written all over him. Barkov is head and shoulders the most talented forward of the bunch, he has the potential to be great.

Dude, wake up and smell the cafe artigiano espresso Pizano style, the Americans are the team to beat now. They have been whooping ass at the Under 18's for years now and are seemingly starting to take that winning attitude to the Under 20's. It was just a matter of the time. Per Capitat we are a better hockey nation but when you got a country that is 10 times the size of yours in population, it was just a matter of time of when they were gonna take over the Hockey Throne. US High School Hockey program and College Hockey program in the States is getting real strong. The CHL is on the decline.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yawn..... fart.

Canada has won 5 out of the last nine WJC and with ANY goaltending in 2010 and 2011 they would have had 7 out of 9 titles. I see all the bed pissers are out in full force again . Anything can happen in a one game playoff.

In the Mens side when they have played best on best Canada has won 5 of the last 8 tournaments. Two Canada Cups, one world cup and two Olympics. The Czechs have one Olympics, the Swedes have one Olympics and the US won a World cup in 96 on a high stick goal by a kid from North Van. For whatever reason Glen Sather who hadn't coached in almost a decade was running the bench. Missing key players like Lemieux, Roy and Kariya might have had something to do with that showing. That and Sather's insistence on going with Curtis Joseph in net.

Yes the States is good but to say they are now the team to beat is retarded. As for the u 18 who gives a fuck it's a midget tournament and I'll take 15 golds in the wjc compared to a whopping 3 for the US.

As for your draft predictions .......whatever floats your boat. Seth Jones might one day be as good as Colton Teubert and Barkov could be a stud along the lines of Milan Gajic.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Seth Jones might one day be as good as Colton Teubert and Barkov could be a stud along the lines of Milan Gajic.

B-Mac? Come on, man. That ain't happenin'. Here are my draft predictions for top 6

1. Barkov
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Lindholm
5. McKinnon
6. Monahan
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Listen B-Mac, listen good...here's the deal, McKinnon needed to bring truth to the rumors of him being the so-called consensus 1st overall pick by being extra special at every opportunity he had in which he didn't unlike Drouin whom made the most of every opportunity given him which was why he was bumped up to the big line and that my friend is why I predict McKinnon as being the next great Alexander Daigle bust. As it stands right now, Chef Boi RD has Jones and Barkov battling it out for the no. 1 pick overall with Drouin and Lindholm battling it out for the 3rd pick overall. McKinnon and Monahan will battle it out for 5th pick overall. There is no question that Barkov and Jones should go 1 & 2, whatever order. Jones is that D-man ya want for the games that matter like the Playoffs. He gives your team an extra bit of confidence, i just love the kids cocky arrogance, has Sean Pronger written all over him. Barkov is head and shoulders the most talented forward of the bunch, he has the potential to be great.

Dude, wake up and smell the cafe artigiano espresso Pizano style, the Americans are the team to beat now. They have been whooping ass at the Under 18's for years now and are seemingly starting to take that winning attitude to the Under 20's. It was just a matter of the time. Per Capitat we are a better hockey nation but when you got a country that is 10 times the size of yours in population, it was just a matter of time of when they were gonna take over the Hockey Throne. US High School Hockey program and College Hockey program in the States is getting real strong. The CHL is on the decline.
Stay off the rubby dude..... really . Sean Pronger eh :sly:

Mckinnon the bum . And the American have taken over hockey . Fuck me this post is Pauster like. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:McKinnon hardly fucking played so why even bash him ? Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy and Harrington were absolutely horrific in the tournament. Sheifle did fuck all, Rattie did nothing and Huberdeau was weak. The coaching was terrible as well. He should have had those kids revved up but he didn't.

Listen B-Mac, listen good...here's the deal, McKinnon needed to bring truth to the rumors of him being the so-called consensus 1st overall pick by being extra special at every opportunity he had in which he didn't unlike Drouin whom made the most of every opportunity given him which was why he was bumped up to the big line and that my friend is why I predict McKinnon as being the next great Alexander Daigle bust. As it stands right now, Chef Boi RD has Jones and Barkov battling it out for the no. 1 pick overall with Drouin and Lindholm battling it out for the 3rd pick overall. McKinnon and Monahan will battle it out for 5th pick overall. There is no question that Barkov and Jones should go 1 & 2, whatever order. Jones is that D-man ya want for the games that matter like the Playoffs. He gives your team an extra bit of confidence, i just love the kids cocky arrogance, has Sean Pronger written all over him. Barkov is head and shoulders the most talented forward of the bunch, he has the potential to be great.

What an incredibly stupid post
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

:rofl:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

RoyalDude wrote:Where do the Americans Men Hockey Program stand with us now in Hockey. Lower Ground? Equal Ground? Higher Ground?

They have won the last 4 Golds at the World Under 18 Tournament. They just shallacked our best kids in the Under 20 category. Is this just a blip, or are we no longer the hockey super power and we should be expecting this from now on?

WJC 41 games Canada vs US. Canada with 32 wins and 2 ties. Yes the Americans are dominating. Thanks for coming out. :roll: :baaa: :stupid: