World Juniors 2013

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: World Juniors 2013

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Subban was less than ordinary. The two saves Ferraro raved about where shot into Malcolm. There was no cross ice stretch to cover the back side, the puck hit Subban's pads centre of the net. Starting the black guy against the Germans is so 1936.
Topper wrote:So Subban stinks in the trial, stinks in his pre tournament game and yet is named the starter.

Binnington plays very well vs Sweden and is named backup.

Huh?

I can only think they figure the Germans (don't mention the war) are considered an push over and Subban is on a very very short leash.
PAHL - O - TICKS!!!!!

Same reason Corrado is sitting in Canada while Harrington is a mess out there. Swear to God Hockey Canada is just a national version of the worst municipal rep team.

It makes me laugh to hear the TSN goofs fall over themselves apologizing for Subban's gaffe's. Makes my heart giggle to know he's a Boston prospect.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:
Have any of you seen a more selfish player than Mark Scheifele?
Yessssss...they're going to be whining about "Fail with Nail" on Wayne Gretzky Drive in the not too distant future.
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Awesome game by the guys. Subban stood tall and was lights out.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:Awesome game by the guys. Subban stood tall and was lights out.
Definitely agree with your second statement. Subban has not impressed in the previous games, but against the US he showed that he is a game winning goalie. Made a couple of huge saves.

The game was a bit lackluster for the most part though. Mainly because the US didn't seem to want to dance. Canada did what they had to, got a lead and held on to it. Got more interesting in the third though when the Yanks finally woke up and realised "hell, we need to win this game". And that's when Subban made sure to kill their dreams. Kudos!

The Americans are a lot better today. 7-2 against Slovakia, and we're only in the middle of the second period....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sweden having an excellent game against Finland so far. Ahead 3-1 after the first period and having won the shots 18-4! Basically, the only time Finland has the puck is when they have a power play. The Finns are beginning to look mighty pissed off though. I expect them to attempt to try something new in the second period.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sweden beats Finland 7-4 to win the group and get a bye to the semifinal.
Finland rather sensationally misses the quarter finals and will play relegation games...

Joel Armia is a beast though and scored two of Finland's goals.

The game actually was closer than the score shows. With four minutes on the clock the score was 5-4 and Finland had a power play. If they could tie the game in regulation, they'd beat Switzerland for third place and reach the quarter final.
The puck went into the corner and Armia used his stick to beat a Swede in the race for it, the refs called it and Sweden scored on the power play, then sealed the victory with an empty netter.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Was really pulling for the Swiss today against the Ruskies. Too bad it didn't work out, but they look to be an up and coming country for talent. And can anyone explain why they always have awesome Gt'ers?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

CFP! wrote:Was really pulling for the Swiss today against the Ruskies. Too bad it didn't work out, but they look to be an up and coming country for talent. And can anyone explain why they always have awesome Gt'ers?
Already have. Teams are only allowed to have three foreigners. Since hockey is popular in Switzerland and the teams are well off, those three tend to be very good; borderline NHL. In a sort of gentlemen's agreement teams then ice their foreigners against eachother, which means that you get one shift of borderline NHL level followed by two shifts of beer league, then again borderline NHL. Since teams rarely waste a foreigner slot on goalies, Swiss goalies get this fantastic sort of workout, where they face world class players every third shift. Swiss hockey as a whole is gradually picking up, but in the goalie department they're already there.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Early indications are that team USA has come to play and Canada doesn't have their game brains between their ears yet. Subban keeping them in it but he had no chance on that opening goal. The Canadian kids better get their heads in this one soon or it will be all but over.

Also like to say that most of the games I've watched this year tell me that the ice absolutely BLOWS. Against Russia the puck was just sticking in place all over the ice for both teams, in all the games people are just falling down all over the place, but that game against Russia had the worst ice by far. It's been pretty piss poor and I'm surprised that Russia doesn't have the ice making nailed down.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Period 1 against USA in the books. 2-0 bad guys.

Zerio urgency from Canada as a team, completely bottled up and being totally out-skated by their opponents.

Subban has played well, could have had the second one, though it was off a broken play and shot from the slot into the top corner, but it was still saveable. He is struggling with rebounds somewhat here.

Turnovers all over the ice for Canada, there is no real puck support, and too many individual efforts.

Need to start setting up the points and getting traffic in front of Gibson. Gibson has been the best goaltender at the tournament so far, he isn't going to give up 4 goals, so Canada needs to close the door from here on out and strike early in the second and hope they get a couple of bounces.

The way Canada has been playing and the way the USA has been skating even getting to a shootout might be too much to hope for at this point.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

After 40 minutes the Canadians still have no answer for the American defensive pressure. No real chances to challenge Gibson in the USA net. Subban managed to look weak on 2 more goals. Binnington in in relief has been great.

Phil Housley has crafted a perfect strategy against the Canadians and his boys have executed it to perfection so far. RNH-Scheifle-Drouin have been non-factors. Drouin the only one worth noting on that line as he is everywhere and so friggen fast.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Game over. Who cares about the rest of the tournament, bronze is the second loser.

All the hype about RNH, Scheifle, and Huberdeau is lost on me after this one. They dominated the Germans and Slovaks, and performed well against the Russians, but come crunch time in a game that actually matters and they disappeared with no chemistry. In particular was RNH's chance all alone in front of Gibson with the USA goalie already down and the entire blocker-side shelf wide open.....he goes glove side and gets robbed. Clutch Nuge, real clutch.....no wonder they cut you last time.

Huberdeau was useless, I've never seen a puck-hogging playmaker who couldn't make a decent pass.

Subban gets a pass on the first one but let in 3 goals that were stoppable.

Binnington was great in relief making some saves that rivalled Gibson's.

Too many individual performers for Canada, while the USA played as a team and completely dominated a bunch of pussies who couldn't seem to find the desire to even try and mount an effort.

In the first two periods Canada beat themselves as much as the USA simply capitalized on the chances Canada kept giving them. In the third period the Canadians were beaten by John Gibson and his goal posts. Canada got their chances but they either missed the net or were foiled by Gibson's stellar play.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:Game over. Who cares about the rest of the tournament, bronze is the second loser.

All the hype about RNH, Scheifle, and Huberdeau is lost on me after this one. They dominated the Germans and Slovaks, and performed well against the Russians, but come crunch time in a game that actually matters and they disappeared with no chemistry. In particular was RNH's chance all alone in front of Gibson with the USA goalie already down and the entire blocker-side shelf wide open.....he goes glove side and gets robbed. Clutch Nuge, real clutch.....no wonder they cut you last time.

Huberdeau was useless, I've never seen a puck-hogging playmaker who couldn't make a decent pass.

Subban gets a pass on the first one but let in 3 goals that were stoppable.

Binnington was great in relief making some saves that rivalled Gibson's.

Too many individual performers for Canada, while the USA played as a team and completely dominated a bunch of pussies who couldn't seem to find the desire to even try and mount an effort.

In the first two periods Canada beat themselves as much as the USA simply capitalized on the chances Canada kept giving them. In the third period the Canadians were beaten by John Gibson and his goal posts. Canada got their chances but they either missed the net or were foiled by Gibson's stellar play.
5-1 is indicative of a team that broke down on nearly every level... fail... next!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Muahahahaha....

At least Sweden made it to the final again.

Hmmm, let's see... Last time Canada won this tournament Dubya was still in the White House.

:drink:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ya know what I love about this loss. The Don Cherry's of the Canadian Hockey Snobby World cannot use the excuse "Well, if they had all their best players, they would have won!" No excuses. Anyhow, where do you pin the blame? Pretty much everywhere, but seriously, Hockey Canada really, really, really needs to stop rolling out the red carpet for these kids, the personal chefs, massages, etc. Top Notch everything, that has to go. None of the other countries treat their players like Kings and Queens. What is concerning for me, is how Team Canada folds like a shitty tent as soon as they encounter a team that isn't afraid of them, not much guts in the past two WJC's for Team Canada. All along all ya heard from Team USA, we can beat, we are gonna beat them, we are better them, where the fuck is our moxy and cockiness, we are just a tad to proper for my liking.

The defense they chose was pretty fucking lame. Not saying that Dumba should have been there, but Dumba is the kind of D-man that can lay out some real nasty, mean checks. The D lacked that presence. Not enough character in that room. Not all that impressed with Huberdeau and Schieffle in the mean something games. The list goes on. Our biggest weakness was Defense, Goaltending, Coaching, Character/grit and puck possession and decision making. We need more of a Bobby 'Fuck You' Clarke attitude on team Canada than the nice guys
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau