What's with Parent ?

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

What's with Parent ?

Post by Fred »

He just "A" doesn't seem to be part of the team
Ryan Parent Named to Team Canada for Spengler Cup
See the article in http://www.insidecanucks.com/

But "B" they don't seem to want to let him go by waiving him and atleast recoupe some of their money.

The other disturbing statistic for the Wolves ...all the top points guys are non Vcr Property. Connauton is the highest but also has a -7 for his +/-

I'm not seeing any propspects stepping up ?
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: What's with Parent ?

Post by Southern_Canuck »

From what I've seen, Parent is an average skater, lacks mobility, hasn't shown any offensive upside, and will most likely be departing the organization as a free agent. Maybe he will find a way into the NHL as a defensive defenceman, but in order to do that, he would have to find a way to not get walked around like a modern day McCrimmon.

Pretty disappointing.

July 30, 2005
Drafted by the Nashville Predators in the 1st round (18th overall) in 2005.

Feb 15, 2007
Philadelphia Flyers traded Peter Forsberg to the Nashville Predators for Ryan Parent, Scottie Upshall, a 1st round selection and a 3rd round selection in 2007.

June 19, 2010
Philadelphia Flyers traded Ryan Parent to the Nashville Predators for Dan Hamhuis and a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2011.

Oct 5, 2010
Vancouver Canucks traded Shane O'Brien and Dan Gendur to the Nashville Predators for Jonas Andersson and Ryan Parent.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Why don't theycall him up or send him down to the ECHL...who knows there may be a taker. IMO you can't carry guys like this without it effecting the other younger players on the roster....get him out of there ...oh yeah and Merry Christmas Ryan
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

If they called him up, he is subject to re-entry waivers - and if another team picked him up, the Canucks would be on the hook for half his salary ($500k), and they would take a cap hit of half his cap hit ($462.5k). There is no way they'll want to take that cap hit when they could call up Tanev, Erixon, Sauve, or Connauton without re-entry waivers.

As for the ECHL, I believe he is a decent AHL player, so he'll help the Wolves by staying right there.

At least they are loaning him for the Spengler Cup so he can advertise himself to another NHL team, or even a European team - he's going to have to hope that his lack of speed and mobility doesn't get exposed on the larger rinks.

S_C
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Seriously what do you do with players who you (MG) thought was worth a gamble on, clearly turn out to be exactly what the other 29 teams in the league didn't want and something they saw and we missed.

I can't believe Parent plus Steven Anthony, Darren Archibald has found their way to the ECHL this quick. And lets face it Schroeder is hanging in by his nails ( 8 goals in 31 games is not going to get a promotion )
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Wrong thread, ooops.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:Seriously what do you do with players who you (MG) thought was worth a gamble on, clearly turn out to be exactly what the other 29 teams in the league didn't want and something they saw and we missed.
IIRC the Canucks waived O'brian, had no takers and then dealt him for Parent.

I think they had a fairly good idea what they were taking but preferred to have Parent on the farm over O'brien.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Ryan Parent reminds me of Alex Sulzar. honestly just doesnt fit at this level. I dont know if Parent at 24 can be an NHL defenceman. Sulzer is the same to me. Maybe on a lesser team like we see in Tampa with Even Oberg who looked dreadful here but has managed to be called up a few times there.

Honestly I would rather see Sauve or Tanev for sure and maybe even Connaughton.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Sulzer can at least be called in for some spot games here and there for the Canucks whereas Parent was a horror show from the beginning of training camp right until the end. His gap control was completely ridiculous, forwards would be crossing the blueline and he would be leaning against the crossbar and chatting strategy with Lack.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:Seriously what do you do with players who you (MG) thought was worth a gamble on, clearly turn out to be exactly what the other 29 teams in the league didn't want and something they saw and we missed.
IIRC the Canucks waived O'brian, had no takers and then dealt him for Parent.

I think they had a fairly good idea what they were taking but preferred to have Parent on the farm over O'brien.
MG can thanks Florida for taking Sturm and Samuelsson. SOB was at least a servicable player only he was sex drugs and Rock'n'roll and didn't fit in but he can play. Parent makes Pee Wee errors...how he was a 1st round pick.

I just looked up Parents stats he's only played 18 games total this season. I haven't heard if he's injured or been released ??
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Google “Ryan Parent bust” and close to 200,000 results come up (although in fairness many of them link to article about Ryan Leaf). Parent was once an important piece of the trade that sent Peter Forsberg from Philadelphia to Nashville. How far has he fallen? In December 0f 2011, the Chicago Wolves pawned him off on Canada’s Spengler Cup team. Parent was barely playing, and the Wolves wanted to give ice time to their better defensemen.

At his peak, Parent formed a dominant shutdown defensive pairing with Marc Staal for Canada, winning consecutive gold medals at the 2006 and 2007 World Junior Championships. The Predators liked what they saw out of him during the 2004-05 season, selecting him 18th overall that summer (his Guelph Storm teammate, Dan Girardi, went undrafted and has gone on to become one of the best defensive defensemen in the game).

Parent was an imposing figure on the ice in the OHL, but he didn’t play with a physical edge (although teams thought he would develop that part of his game as he matured). Scouts were intrigued by his combination of mobility and size/strength, and they chose to overlook his glaring lack of production. From The Hockey News:

“Parent's overall game far outweighs his production at this stage of his development; plays a no- nonsense style with plenty of intangibles; captained the Canadian entry at the 2005 World under-18 tournament and led the club to a silver medal--despite not earning a point in six games; needs to add more aggression to his game in order to eventually keep NHL forwards honest.”

Key parts – lack of production, intangibles, needs to add more aggression. Hmmm…

Even though he focused on the defensive side of the game, Parent’s lack of offensive production should have been an early warning sign. He scored only 10 goals in 227 OHL games, well below the production of a few draft peers and a former teammate:

•Marc Staal – 23 goals in 236 games (12th overall in 2005)
•Jakub Kindl – 26 goals in 176 games (19th overall in 2005)
•Dan Girardi – 21 goals in 230 games (undrafted)

Parent had the pedigree to succeed. He was a high draft pick (8 th overall) in the 2003 OHL Priority Selection. He had a solid OHL career, and he was a key piece for Canada against the best competition at his age level.

The lack of production in the OHL was a warning sign, but it was one that was overlooked.

Parent turned professional after his 2006-07 season concluded. He joined Philadelphia’s farm team (he had been traded from Nashville a few months previous), and he was a full-time member of the Phantoms in 2007-08. Parent’s tenure in Philadelphia would have completely forgettable had it not been for the 2009-10 playoff run. Due to a number of injuries on the back end, Parent was forced in to duty, suiting up for 17 of the 23 postseason games. He suited up for a grand total of 41 seconds in the Cup Final (one shift in game one, and it probably wasn’t a good one).

Philadelphia didn’t have any confidence in him. During those 17 postseason games, he played over 12 minutes only twice. His ice time was sheltered, and he still struggled.

Since we love advanced stats at Canucks Army, let’s see how Parent stacked up in 2009-10 against his teammates. Parent’s Relative Corsi number (the difference in Corsi rating when a player is on the ice compared to when he is on the bench) was a miserable -22 during his final season with the Flyers. When he was on the ice, the Flyers were giving up a ton of shots. It was even worse in the postseason (-24.9).

Parent was facing weak competition, playing for a strong hockey team, and still struggling. As if more warning signs were needed, Parent then underwent back surgery in January of 2010.

That summer, the Flyers traded him back to Nashville in a deal to acquire the rights to Dan Hamhuis. The Predators must have subscribed to the ‘fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me’ philosophy, as Parent had done absolutely nothing to show himself worthy of reacquiring. His highest goal total in any single season since turning pro was one (a number he hit a few times).

The Predators sold high on Parent back in 2007 after his impressive performance at the World Juniors (for more on selling high on players after the World Juniors, read this piece I wrote a few years ago), and they bought low on him after a miserable start to his professional career in Philadelphia.

Parent didn’t last long in his second stint with the Predators. The team flipped him a few months later to Vancouver for Shane O’Brien. Being traded for Shane O’Brien was warning sign three. Canuck fans quickly saw what Philadelphia fans were subjected to – a smooth skating defenseman with good size and nothing else. It was quickly apparent that Parent lacked basic puck skills in all three zones, and he struggled consistently with his decision making in his own zone (it is hard for a defenseman to be successful if he doesn’t know what to do defensively).

Claude Noel coached Parent in Manitoba for a season, and delivered one of the greatest hyperboles of our time when assessing his game:

“He reminds me of the Ken Morrows of the world,” said Noel.” Coaches have a lot of appreciation for those types of guys that fall under the radar of glitz and flash, but are staples of your defense.”

Morrow, one of the best defensive defensemen in NHL history, recorded 15 goals and 52 points in his final season of college hockey before turning pro. Obviously he played in a different era and a different league, but production is production.

Broad Street Hockey delivered a brutally honest evaluation of Parent’s play during the 2009-10 season here. If the advanced statistics from earlier weren’t enough:

“What is there to say about Ryan Parent? It's all been said before. He had a really bad (not quite terrible) regular season, got injured, came back and continued his really bad season. This then turned into a terrible playoffs for Ryan Parent, eventually leading to him being benched and then scratched.”

Parent’s contract expires this summer and he won’t be brought back by the Canucks. He seems destined to ply his trade in Europe, as he has failed multiple times to prove he is anything more than a borderline AHL defenseman. The warning signs were there all along, but multiple teams chose to ignore them, intoxicated by Parent’s size and mobility. You can’t teach size, but often times you can’t teach hockey sense, either
cheers