11/12 Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Meds »

I just watched the highlight of that hit.....Porter knew he was going to miss him well in advance and totally lead into that hit with the knee. It almost looks as if he was targeting Booth's knee there as he comes in for that pass at him and wasn't even in the same lane as Booth. It wasn't like Booth made a sudden move at the last second and Porter made a knee-jerk reaction (pardon the bad play on words).

The guy should get 5 games as I think that is as bad as a headshot. It has the potential to be season ending for the victim and in some cases career hampering, just ask Cam Neely.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: The guy should get 5 games as I think that is as bad as a headshot. It has the potential to be season ending for the victim and in some cases career hampering, just ask Cam Neely.
Exactly, all the focus is on headshots these days. Enough catering to the media... hockey players know that was one of the more dangerous hits you could make. Knee-on-knee collisions are some of the dirtiest plays out there.

I too think 5 games is appropriate. It's not really going to matter because Booth is out longer than that, but Shanahan should take this opportunity to show he's serious about ALL dirty hits in hockey, not just ones that target the head or goalie.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: The guy should get 5 games as I think that is as bad as a headshot. It has the potential to be season ending for the victim and in some cases career hampering, just ask Cam Neely.
Exactly, all the focus is on headshots these days. Enough catering to the media... hockey players know that was one of the more dangerous hits you could make. Knee-on-knee collisions are some of the dirtiest plays out there.

I too think 5 games is appropriate. It's not really going to matter because Booth is out longer than that, but Shanahan should take this opportunity to show he's serious about ALL dirty hits in hockey, not just ones that target the head or goalie.
Besides knee-on-knee, slashing should be suspendable too. Thornton's slash on Burrows should be at least a game. :mad:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Besides knee-on-knee, slashing should be suspendable too. Thornton's slash on Burrows should be at least a game. :mad:

The problem with that is that Joe is a repeat offender so he would have to get longer than one game. So better to not go there at all so you don't take a top tier player out for 4-5 games.

This is not me speaking its Shanny, in case you are confused.
The only HW the Canucks need
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

Whats the word on Hodgson? Any one here anything?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

jackalman wrote:Whats the word on Hodgson? Any one here anything?
He's 'expected to dress' in Columbus.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Tanev slammed from behind and left last game, an update expected today. Ballard expected to return against Detroit Wednesday.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12/19 ... etermined/
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Damn, there must be something wrong with Higgins immune system... :evil:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383580
VANCOUVER -- Left-winger Chris Higgins stayed home with a mysterious hand problem as the Vancouver Canucks departed for a three-game California road trip Tuesday.

Coach Alain Vigneault said the team believes the problem is related to a foot issue, originally described as a staph infection, that kept the 28-year-old out of two games earlier this month.

"His hand was all swollen up, so he's gone to the hospital again," Vigneault said after Canucks practice. "We're not exactly sure what it is, but we're sort of assuming that it's the same thing he had on his foot."

The foot problem, which also included severe swelling, was treated with what Vigneault previous described as "medication." The coach said potential remedies this time may include antibiotics.

Vigneault planned to decide whether to call up a player from the minors later Tuesday once tests on Higgins were complete and the club had more information.

Higgins, who ranks fifth in team scoring with 10 goals and 12 assists, has enjoyed a career renaissance since joining the Canucks at last season's trade deadline.

"Mike (Burnstein, the team's trainer) looked at him and his first reaction was, he probably has this virus," Vigneault said. "It's tough to deal with viruses, so they're going to do the best they can to pinpoint the exact nature of it."

The Canucks play Wednesday in San Jose, Thursday in Anaheim and Saturday in Los Angeles. If Higgins recovers sufficiently, he will join the team at some point on the road trip.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Anyone hear anything about Byron Bitz? I'm hoping he is a fast enough skater to get in on the forecheck and add the physical ingredient we have been missing.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Canuck-One wrote:Anyone hear anything about Byron Bitz? I'm hoping he is a fast enough skater to get in on the forecheck and add the physical ingredient we have been missing.

Strange IMO. He was supposed to have the same problem as Kesler and yet there's never any mention of what he's doing or if he's progressing. I assume when they signed him they felt he filled a need. I heard he was skating again but that was a couple of weeks ago
cheers
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Jason Botchford reported that he skated for the first time on Dec 3.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote:Damn, there must be something wrong with Higgins immune system... :evil:
Maybe he sticks his hands and feet in weird places?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dhabums wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Damn, there must be something wrong with Higgins immune system... :evil:
You'd think he'd learn to keep his damn extremities away from the staph after the first couple incidents.

Though I guess he did change things up and try his hand this time??
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Aaronp18 wrote:
dhabums wrote:
You'd think he'd learn to keep his damn extremities away from the staph after the first couple incidents.

Though I guess he did change things up and try his hand this time??
Where I am from,it's a "Steph" infection, and it was never your hands or feet. Oh, and penecillin always creared it up. You'ld think the Canucks could afford a better "Steph". Maybe even a Cassandra or Patricia.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Wasn't very nice of Salo to share his bad voodoo with Higgins.