From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

Looks like Sarich has requested a trade. He's been a healthy scratch for a lot of games of late, although he did play last night. With guys like Smith and Brodie in the lineup, he wasn't being used much. Another guy that hasn't seen much ice time is Babchuk. So, even with Gio going down, the Flames still seem to have a glut of D men.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

BCExpat wrote:Looks like Sarich has requested a trade. He's been a healthy scratch for a lot of games of late, although he did play last night. With guys like Smith and Brodie in the lineup, he wasn't being used much. Another guy that hasn't seen much ice time is Babchuk. So, even with Gio going down, the Flames still seem to have a glut of D men.
Also note that Sarich has a FULL NMC. Babchuk has a NTC. Yes THE Anton Babchuk has a NTC.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

tantalum wrote:
BCExpat wrote:Looks like Sarich has requested a trade. He's been a healthy scratch for a lot of games of late, although he did play last night. With guys like Smith and Brodie in the lineup, he wasn't being used much. Another guy that hasn't seen much ice time is Babchuk. So, even with Gio going down, the Flames still seem to have a glut of D men.
Also note that Sarich has a FULL NMC. Babchuk has a NTC. Yes THE Anton Babchuk has a NTC.
I wonder how that works when a player requests a trade? I assume he still gets to pick where he is going. If so, that really handcuffs Feaster, although he isn't going to get much for Sarich anyway (I suspect something like a mid round draft pick).

Babchuk is another matter. He isn't signed for a huge amount, so I don't think it's a problem. He'll just ride the pine as a 7th D man - although he is getting too much for a 7th D man.

Like I said, the good news for the Flames, is the play of Brodie, Smith and Butler - they are all playing very well.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I would imagine it could work out the same as it did with Dany Heatley in Ottawa (demanded a trade and then veto'd the first deal).

That being said I would guess that once a player waives their NTC they lose it, as I'd expect Heatley would probably prefer to be playing in San Jose rather than Minnesota these days.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

If the player asks for a trade he still gets to dictate where he wants to go. For Sarich I would imagine his main priority is that he wants to play every day. His second priority will be to get to the best team possible. In all likelihood his agent will alos be working the phones to try to find the best fit for him.

Once he waives a NTC/NMC he hasn't waived it for good. It always applies.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

tantalum wrote: Once he waives a NTC/NMC he hasn't waived it for good. It always applies.
Where did you find that info?
I would have thought that if a player signed to waive a clause, that the contract would be transferred to the new team exactly as it left the old team... With the players signature waiving the applicable clause.

Obviously, it would be pretty simple to write into the contract that the NMC is only being waived for a particular period of time, but I fail to see how that would be at all attractive to prospective trade partners.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Regardless of an NTC waiver if Sarich was all that attractive he would be playing on Calgary's d Corps.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Sarich would be an upgrade on Rome. He hits harder, he's grittier, tougher, exactly what the Canucks need against teams that want to bully them. His salary is too high though.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Sticky wrote:
tantalum wrote: Once he waives a NTC/NMC he hasn't waived it for good. It always applies.
I would have thought that if a player signed to waive a clause, that the contract would be transferred to the new team exactly as it left the old team... With the players signature waiving the applicable clause.
A player with a full clause only officially waives it when the trade is complete and for that one team. He hasn't agreed to waive it for several teams at any time. The Heatley contract wasn't a full NTC I believe. Before July 1 of every offseason he got to put down 10 teams he wouldn't be traded to (Edmonton was on that list when he was with the Sens). He had to submit a list before July 1 of every year. The wild were not on the list he submitted to the Sharks. You can find that on pretty much every article of the Havlat/Heatley trade. So Heatley's clause remained even after his first trade.

The only time I can see a NTC/NMC being nullified in the CBA is when a player signs a contract before he is eligble for that NTC/NMC and it takes effect starting in their UFA years if they would be a group 3 free agent. If that player is traded or claimed off waivers before the clause kicks in the acquiring team does not have to honor it (article 11.8). They can choose to honor that in writing to the central office and the player. I guess this would apply to Richards and Carter. If the Kings and Blue Jackets had the choice to honor those original clauses or not. So we don't really know if they have a NTC or not at this point.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Why isn't he playing in Calgary?
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

Corb wrote:Why isn't he playing in Calgary?
I think the main reason is they have dicided to let some prospects like TJ Brody play and gain experiance.

That and he sucks!!!
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

tantalum wrote:
Sticky wrote:
A player with a full clause only officially waives it when the trade is complete and for that one team. He hasn't agreed to waive it for several teams at any time. The Heatley contract wasn't a full NTC I believe. Before July 1 of every offseason he got to put down 10 teams he wouldn't be traded to (Edmonton was on that list when he was with the Sens). He had to submit a list before July 1 of every year. The wild were not on the list he submitted to the Sharks. You can find that on pretty much every article of the Havlat/Heatley trade. So Heatley's clause remained even after his first trade.

The only time I can see a NTC/NMC being nullified in the CBA is when a player signs a contract before he is eligble for that NTC/NMC and it takes effect starting in their UFA years if they would be a group 3 free agent. If that player is traded or claimed off waivers before the clause kicks in the acquiring team does not have to honor it (article 11.8). They can choose to honor that in writing to the central office and the player. I guess this would apply to Richards and Carter. If the Kings and Blue Jackets had the choice to honor those original clauses or not. So we don't really know if they have a NTC or not at this point.
Thanks for that Tant...
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

He isn't playing that well, He's been a healthy scratch for a long time now. Even when Gio went down, they called up someone from the AHL to take his place instead of Sarich. So, his days in Calgary are numbered. I don't think you want him on the Canucks. If he can't make the Flames D, where would he fit on the Canucks D?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

BCExpat wrote:
He isn't playing that well, He's been a healthy scratch for a long time now. Even when Gio went down, they called up someone from the AHL to take his place instead of Sarich. So, his days in Calgary are numbered. I don't think you want him on the Canucks. If he can't make the Flames D, where would he fit on the Canucks D?
Yep I have no idea why anyone thinks Sarich would be an upgrade over anyone here.

The Canucks system is notoriously difficult to play for defenseman and emphasizes mobility and hockey IQ.

Sarich is slow and not particularly smart.

The Canucks need toughness, but first and foremost they need guys who can play.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Sorry Expat but that site just continues to amaze me.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=112271