11/12 Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Fred »

McGinn Strikes AGAIN
McGinn labeled 'Canuck hunter' by Vancouver newspaper
November 27, 2011, 1:15 pm

Jamie McGinn has a history of knocking Vancouver Canuck players out of games. (AP)

SAN JOSE – Another one of the Vancouver Canucks is hurting following a collision with the Sharks’ Jamie McGinn.

McGinn hit Alexander Edler with a clean shoulder late in the second period of San Jose’s 3-2 loss to the Canucks on Saturday night at HP Pavilion. Edler left the game with what looked like an injured shoulder.

McGinn was already not a favorite in Vancouver, after hurting Canucks defensemen Christian Ehrhoff and Aaron Rome in Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals last May, causing them both to miss the remainder of that series. That may be why the Vancouver Sun labeled him as a “Canuck hunter” in its Sunday edition.
The Sun’s Iain Macintyre writes:

Edler was hit hard shoulder-to-shoulder by Jamie McGinn in a race to the puck near the corner.

Edler dropped his stick, skated immediately to the bench and was hunched over in obvious discomfort in the final minute of the second period. He did not return for the third period.

“Just got a big hit there at the end of the second period,” Vigneault said. “Upper body, and he'll be re-evaluated tomorrow.”

There was nothing dirty about the hit, which McGinn talked about after Sharks practice on Sunday.

“I’m just finishing my checks. I never want anyone to get hurt, and I try and play a real clean game,” he said. “I think it was one of those ones where we’re both just running into each other. I didn’t realize he was hurt after; I just kind of kept going. It’s never a good thing when someone goes out to injury, but that’s just the way I play. I just try and play hard-nosed.”

McGinn sensed a carryover effect from the playoffs, as the teams were meeting for the first time since the Canucks ended the Sharks’ season.

“It kind of continued on from playoffs. It was a physical game and a high-paced game. We knew we were going to get their best, and they played real well. I thought we were really solid. We fixed up some things we wanted to fix. The outcome wasn’t what we wanted, but the good thing is it’s a long season and we get to hop right back on it [Monday in Los Angeles] and continue to do the right things again.”

Edler is Vancouver’s leading scorer on defense with three goals and 13 assists for 16 points.

Read more: McGinn labeled 'Canuck hunter' by Vancouver newspaper
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
Nice if some one straightened this kid out. More likely it will be turn the other cheek....Hey maybe MG is a born again :D :D
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote: Nice if some one straightened this kid out. More likely it will be turn the other cheek....Hey maybe MG is a born again :D :D
Yes it would have been super awesome if the canucks had thrown the game away to get revenge on MCGinn for what was a totally clean body check.
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

Who cares about playoffs pot? We can make the playoffs next year! We need to take stupid penalties, and missconducts, and suspentions, untill we get some respect. Then we can look at this winning games thing you feel is so important. Priorities pot, priorities. :lol:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Potatoe1 wrote: Yes it would have been super awesome if the canucks had thrown the game away to get revenge on MCGinn for what was a totally clean body check.
You're right, best let him injure more Vcr defensmen that'll do the trick, especally if he does the injuring in the play-offs :D
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Yes it would have been super awesome if the canucks had thrown the game away to get revenge on MCGinn for what was a totally clean body check.
You're right, best let him injure more Vcr defensmen that'll do the trick, especally if he does the injuring in the play-offs :D
Do you honest think a player like that is going to stop throwing clean body checks because someone tries to fight him?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Do you honest think a player like that is going to stop throwing clean body checks because someone tries to fight him?
I take my lead from guys like Gretzky who insisted in having McSorely accompany him to LA from the Oilers. I can tell you it would work for me
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
I take my lead from guys like Gretzky who insisted in having McSorely accompany him to LA from the Oilers. I can tell you it would work for me
Yes and if it happened to be 1989, I would agree.

Unfortunately however it's 20+ years later then you think it is and the Jamie MCGinns of the world simply don't care if you go after them or not.

In fact they want you to go after them so they can draw penalties and put their team on the power play.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Yes and if it happened to be 1989, I would agree.

Unfortunately however it's 20+ years later then you think it is and the Jamie MCGinns of the world simply don't care if you go after them or not.

In fact they want you to go after them so they can draw penalties and put their team on the power play.
Fred is probably thinking the Canucks should send a player out to destroy McGinn, something like hitting him from behind to take him out of the game for the rest of his life... :hmmm:

It would be nice if the Canucks could land someone like McGinn and get rid of Volpatti.

BTW, how bad is Edler injured?? Nevermind, Edler is back practicing, according to Dan Murphy.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:BTW, how bad is Edler injured??
Edler, Rome and Raymond are all practicing today. Burrows is not after the second period slash from Joe Thornton that appeared to cut a finger open.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:BTW, how bad is Edler injured??
Edler, Rome and Raymond are all practicing today. Burrows is not after the second period slash from Joe Thornton that appeared to cut a finger open.
I just don't understand how these vicious slashes are not suspendable. A stupid highstick that draws one drop of blood is a double minor but a player's finger is cut open only got two... :evil:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Fred is probably thinking the Canucks should send a player out to destroy McGinn, something like hitting him from behind to take him out of the game for the rest of his life...
Is there a purpose to you wanting to put words into my mouth ? I never stated that. When Lucic ran Miller with no response I'm thinking the Sabres are taking a look around at what's available, they're lucky Miller wasn't hurt worse, a lot of the season rests on his shoulders. Edler is pretty important to the Canucks to and I don't think it should be open season on running the guy. But that's just me

Strangely enough I watched the Sens GM...Murray last night saying he thought in their next game against Pitts they'd need to dress a couple of players like Matt Carkner and Chris Neal...but then what does he know. That was last night not 20 years ago

I don't know how to run a poll but I'd sure be interested to see how many fans actually believe they know better than the professional within the game. Many teams carry a tough guys to try and prevent hot heads running amuck, good insurance IMO. The fact Edler is maybe OK is more to do with luck
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:
Fred is probably thinking the Canucks should send a player out to destroy McGinn, something like hitting him from behind to take him out of the game for the rest of his life...
Is there a purpose to you wanting to put words into my mouth ? I never stated that. When Lucic ran Miller with no response I'm thinking the Sabres are taking a look around at what's available, they're lucky Miller wasn't hurt worse, a lot of the season rests on his shoulders. Edler is pretty important to the Canucks to and I don't think it should be open season on running the guy. But that's just me

Strangely enough I watched the Sens GM...Murray last night saying he thought in their next game against Pitts they'd need to dress a couple of players like Matt Carkner and Chris Neal...but then what does he know. That was last night not 20 years ago

I don't know how to run a poll but I'd sure be interested to see how many fans actually believe they know better than the professional within the game. Many teams carry a tough guys to try and prevent hot heads running amuck, good insurance IMO. The fact Edler is maybe OK is more to do with luck
I did not put words in your mouth. I was just speculating.

Injury is part of the game and most importantly, the hit was clean.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:
Is there a purpose to you wanting to put words into my mouth ? I never stated that. When Lucic ran Miller
Lucic running Miller was an illigal cheap shot by a 230lb guy on a 175lb goalie.

The hit by McGinn is 2 physical playes coming together and one guy ending up hurt.

It wasnt cheap, or dirty, nor was it any type is size mismatch (in fact Edler is much bigger)

If the Canucks lose their marbles over every hard hit then teams will go further out of their way to hit their players as they know it will result in penalties.

Yes some GM's think they need scrappers and some dont. BTW Carkner and Neal are solid players not liabilites. And for the record I doubt either guy goes after McGinn for that hit, it simply wasnt a dirty play.

And did you happen to watch the Oilers / Av's game the other night. The Oil dressed a tougher line up but that didn't stop the Avs from Running and injuring Taylor Hall.

Players just dont care anymore.

Mike Gillis and AV don't think the Canucks need a goon and don't think fighting is much of a detourant.

Do you think you know better then 2 professionals with in the game?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Do you think you know better then 2 professionals with in the game?
Not at all, I like to listen and learn. When I hear Murray saying things such as he did it tends to lead me to believe I'm not on an Island. I also believe it or not do respect others opinions such as yourself or the Bleachers reports. I don't always agree. The fact that McGinn has done the damage he has irks me some and I'd like to see some of these wanna be tough guys dissuaded from taking those runs at Vcr. It might well have been a clean hit, does that mean you have to enjoy it. He's run 3 Vcr D and counting. Remember this the Vcr PP is 26 % ( I believe ) that's 1 in 4 success Scoring a PP goal is less important to loosing one of our better D IMO. I don't want to see AHL players on the roster.

I can guarantee you what McGinn will be doing in the next game against Vcr and I hope no one gets seriously injured, even if it is a clean hit. The message to McGinn should be stop and think :D
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:

This is an old argument, and I too would like to see a player capable of intimidating the opposition playing for the Canucks but players like that don't grow on trees. You pretty much have to draft one as it seems unlikely that any other team would willingly give up a player who can intimidate and still be able to keep up with the play on the ice. a player like that would be worth his weight in gold...