US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm But I agree, the main problem behind the current mess in the USA is that people live in bubbles.
They only hear one side of the story, and have ended up with separate world views and no understanding for the other side.
I think few other countries have a divide as bad as the one in the USA, and it has to be fixed somehow.
People have to start listening to eachother rather than shutting eachother out, and that goes for both sides.

Maybe a system of quotas? You may watch one hour of CNN if you also watch one hour of Fox, and vice versa?
If this message board is any indication, the echo chamber problem does not know national boundaries.

And while I'd agree that the echo chamber is a problem because truth gets obscured (or is made irrelevant), that there is division in the United States is not a problem. Division is a byproduct of political freedom. It would just be better if that division arose from (1) different interpretations of a common nucleus of facts and (2) different, good faith estimates about what will result from actions taken today.

Listening may be the place to start, but it isn't about listening to MSNBC and FOX. Its about applying equal charity and skepticism to all sources, and to stop the wichhunt bull shit.
Hono_rary Canadian
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

For whom the bell tolls Yudub?
Getting old is not for the young...
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

rats19 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:06 pm For whom the bell tolls Yudub?
It tolls for us all, Ratski. And when it tolls for one of us, we all lose something.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Another very good article about the erosion of the free exchange of ideas and thoughts.

https://reason.com/video/2021/01/12/how ... g-of-2021/
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:51 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm And as I said, in this particular instance I'm railing against the Cancel Culture.

The Cancel Culture is evil, as evil as BLM, both of which you seem to strongly support, interesting...
So, you're agreeing with the Forbes's article then.....
This isn’t cancel culture, which is a societal blight. (There’s surely a nice living for each of these press secretaries on the true-believer circuit.) Nor is this politically motivated, as Forbes’ pro-entrepreneur, pro-growth worldview has generally placed it in the right-of-center camp over the past century — this standard needs to apply to liars from either party. It’s just a realization that, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, in a thriving democracy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Our national reset starts there.
:thumbs:
You've already asked me this question and I've already answered. :eh:

Forbes is LYING there.

What they're doing IS Cancel Culture.

So no, I don't "agree with their article".

Like I said, it's insidious...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:38 pm
Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:51 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm And as I said, in this particular instance I'm railing against the Cancel Culture.

The Cancel Culture is evil, as evil as BLM, both of which you seem to strongly support, interesting...
So, you're agreeing with the Forbes's article then.....
This isn’t cancel culture, which is a societal blight. (There’s surely a nice living for each of these press secretaries on the true-believer circuit.) Nor is this politically motivated, as Forbes’ pro-entrepreneur, pro-growth worldview has generally placed it in the right-of-center camp over the past century — this standard needs to apply to liars from either party. It’s just a realization that, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, in a thriving democracy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Our national reset starts there.
:thumbs:
You've already asked me this question and I've already answered. :eh:

Forbes is LYING there.

What they're doing IS Cancel Culture.

So no, I don't "agree with their article".

Like I said, it's insidious...
Corporate McCarthyism

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:06 pm First of all, Forbes didn't tell other companies what to do.
:wow:

Bro, that is EXACTLY their reason for the article.

Why else would they write that particular article?

Are you a Stupey Dupe?
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/forbes ... nistration

In case you need more convincing...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm But I agree, the main problem behind the current mess in the USA is that people live in bubbles.
They only hear one side of the story, and have ended up with separate world views and no understanding for the other side.
I think few other countries have a divide as bad as the one in the USA, and it has to be fixed somehow.
People have to start listening to eachother rather than shutting eachother out, and that goes for both sides.

Maybe a system of quotas? You may watch one hour of CNN if you also watch one hour of Fox, and vice versa?
If this message board is any indication, the echo chamber problem does not know national boundaries.
Truth, Per never ventures out of his leftist echo chamber...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Pence shows just how shallow Pelosi is by quoting her in his reply when asked to invoke the 25th
"Just a few months ago, when you introduced legislation to create a 25th Amendment Commission, you said, [a] President’s fitness for office must be determined by science and facts'," Pence wrote. "You said that we must be very respectful of not making a judgment on the basis of a comment or behavior that we don’t like, but based on a medical decision.

"Madam Speaker you were right," the vice president added.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pence- ... -amendment

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Topper wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 am Pence shows just how shallow Pelosi is by quoting her in his reply when asked to invoke the 25th
"Just a few months ago, when you introduced legislation to create a 25th Amendment Commission, you said, [a] President’s fitness for office must be determined by science and facts'," Pence wrote. "You said that we must be very respectful of not making a judgment on the basis of a comment or behavior that we don’t like, but based on a medical decision.

Is it me or is Pence starting to really grow into his human host form these days? You can hardly tell he was once a lizard
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:37 am
Topper wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 am Pence shows just how shallow Pelosi is by quoting her in his reply when asked to invoke the 25th

Is it me or is Pence starting to really grow into his human host form these days? You can hardly tell he was once a lizard
I want to see more of Nikki Haley. Maybe some holiday beach pictures celebrating bipartisan cooperation with Tulsi Gabbard.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Well well well...the complete downfall of Trump happens again, impeached for the 2nd time - first President to do so - 2 for 2.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/house-tru ... -1.5871116
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 pm Well well well...the complete downfall of Trump happens again, impeached for the 2nd time - first President to do so - 2 for 2.

He was definitely over the targets... lol
Getting old is not for the young...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

deja vu

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 pm Well well well...the complete downfall of Trump happens again, impeached for the 2nd time - first President to do so - 2 for 2.

Trump. Derangement. Syndrome.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!