US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:44 pm https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/r ... t-n1327058
No one can point to any statement from President Trump calling upon his supporters to storm the Capitol, much less to stage a coup against the U.S. government, but it doesn’t matter anymore. The establishment media and the social media giants are insisting that he incited the attack on the Capitol and was trying to install himself as a dictator by means of a guy with a buffalo horn hat and some other dopes and wingnuts, and if you don’t believe it, you’re a racist, bigoted, MAGA-hat-wearing fascist who deserves to be silenced along with the president, and soon will be. But it’s clear who the real fascists are, and they are exploiting their Reichstag Fire moment to the fullest.
I'm not a fan of Trump by any stretch but from what I can tell he was inciting a march on the capitol building to protest. He never told anyone to break in and try to seize the building.

That old bag hates him and is clearly pushing an agenda
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:24 pm I'm not a fan of Trump by any stretch but from what I can tell he was inciting a march on the capitol building to protest. He never told anyone to break in and try to seize the building.

You would be perma-banned on Facebook and Twitter if you posted that there.

And 5thHorseman107 thinks that would be fine and dandy.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:24 pm I'm not a fan of Trump by any stretch but from what I can tell he was inciting a march on the capitol building to protest. He never told anyone to break in and try to seize the building.

You would be perma-banned on Facebook and Twitter if you posted that there.

And 5thHorseman107 thinks that would be fine and dandy.
Ron Paul has been suspended from Facebook for posting more or less that

Ron Paul
el rey del mambo
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm 5thHorseman107
:lol:
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Criticism of the regime will be deemed illegal.

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm
And as I said, in this particular instance I'm railing against the Cancel Culture.

The Cancel Culture is evil, as evil as BLM, both of which you seem to strongly support, interesting...
So, you're agreeing with the Forbes's article then.....
This isn’t cancel culture, which is a societal blight. (There’s surely a nice living for each of these press secretaries on the true-believer circuit.) Nor is this politically motivated, as Forbes’ pro-entrepreneur, pro-growth worldview has generally placed it in the right-of-center camp over the past century — this standard needs to apply to liars from either party. It’s just a realization that, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, in a thriving democracy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Our national reset starts there.
:thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:56 pm https://polandin.com/51388314/justice-m ... peech-bill
Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro announced a legal initiative on Thursday aimed at enabling internet users to file complaints against the removal of online posts as well as the creation of a special court for freedom of speech.

Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro said the aim of the bill was to give internet users the feeling that their rights are protected and that their posts cannot be arbitrarily removed from online platforms.

Under its provisions, social media services will not be allowed to remove content or block accounts if the content on them does not break Polish law. In the event of removal or blockage, a complaint can be sent to the platform, which will have 24 hours to consider it. Within 48 hours of the decision, the user will be able to file a petition to the court for the return of access. The court will consider complaints within seven days of receipt and the entire process is to be electronic.
YAY
So.... you say you think it's a good idea when a government can force a private company to publish things they don't want to publish?

Interesting. Sounds fairly close to communism imho. :hmmm:

And why should Polish law be the arbiter for a US company's decision on what to publish?

Why don't they just instead start an alternative government run social platform where they can implement these guidelines?
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 am So.... you say you think it's a good idea when a government can force a private company to publish things they don't want to publish?

And why should Polish law be the arbiter for a US company's decision on what to publish?

Why don't they just instead start an alternative government run social platform where they can implement these guidelines?
Whether its a good idea for government to do so is a different question than whether its a good idea for interactive media services to do so. The value in the free exchange of ideas is not simply the elimination of government-sponsored censorship (or compelled speech). Similarly, when it comes to traditional media, government can't prevent CNN from running breathlessly with some TDS narrative that ignores the other side (and the holes in the narrative). But it isn't a good thing when mainstream media no longer even has the patina of objectivity.
Hono_rary Canadian
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 am
Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 am So.... you say you think it's a good idea when a government can force a private company to publish things they don't want to publish?

Whether its a good idea for government to do so is a different question than whether its a good idea for interactive media services to do so. The value in the free exchange of ideas is not simply the elimination of government-sponsored censorship (or compelled speech). Similarly, when it comes to traditional media, government can't prevent CNN from running breathlessly with some TDS narrative that ignores the other side (and the holes in the narrative). But it isn't a good thing when mainstream media no longer even has the patina of objectivity.
Objectivity ?

It seems the only people who complain about media objectivity is when the the media editorializes the news in such a way that one doesn’t like it.

Then the media isn’t objective and it must be - laugh out fucking loud - trump derangement syndrome.

One good thing to come out of the peasant assault on the capital to support the bankrupt billionaire president is that no trump supporter can utter the term without being a hypocrite. Sanity left the building 4 years ago
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I always knew Skellefteå was the embodiment of evil... :o

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am I always knew Skellefteå was the embodiment of evil... :o

Thomas Gradin?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That does not mean that it is a good idea to deplatform. I don’t think that free speech is enough. For society to thrive and for our minds not to stagnate we also need a culture of openness, where we are exposed to a wide variety of ideas. Even (perhaps especially) those we consider mistaken, stupid or even malign. And there is a special rung in squealer hell for those who take any tweet they disagree with to the writers’ employer to demand disciplinary action.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/don ... ree-speech
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Nah, Gradin was born in Sollefteå. Completely different place. Further south. Closer to Örnsköldsvik, and Modo was the first ”real” team he played for, at age 16. He debuted as a 13-yo on the men’s team on the local team in Långsele, on the outskirts of Sollefteå. Less than an hours drive inland from Örnsköldsvik.

He only played for five teams in his career: Modo, AIK, Vancouver, Boston and Västerås.
No connection whatsoever to the team-that-must-not-be-mentioned.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:53 am
That does not mean that it is a good idea to deplatform. I don’t think that free speech is enough. For society to thrive and for our minds not to stagnate we also need a culture of openness, where we are exposed to a wide variety of ideas. Even (perhaps especially) those we consider mistaken, stupid or even malign. And there is a special rung in squealer hell for those who take any tweet they disagree with to the writers’ employer to demand disciplinary action.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/don ... ree-speech
Good article!

And it goes on:
On the other hand, when things take a violent turn – and companies find that they have been used to promote conspiracy theories and incite hatred – I understand it gets complicated.

So in a few instances, removal might be reasonable. But if it goes too far, it undermines the diversity that made these platforms valuable. Perhaps it’s a terrible and counterproductive mistake. But whatever it is, it is not a violation of free speech. Not in the Lockean Enlightenment tradition, at least.

You are still free to shout ‘fire’, but not in my crowded theatre, please.
But I agree, the main problem behind the current mess in the USA is that people live in bubbles.
They only hear one side of the story, and have ended up with separate world views and no understanding for the other side.
I think few other countries have a divide as bad as the one in the USA, and it has to be fixed somehow.
People have to start listening to eachother rather than shutting eachother out, and that goes for both sides.

Maybe a system of quotas? You may watch one hour of CNN if you also watch one hour of Fox, and vice versa?