US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by Per »

Trump is unusually honest in his recent message:
“Anybody that doesn’t think there wasn’t massive Election Fraud in the 2020 Presidential Election is either very stupid, or very corrupt!”
Now, the double negatives of course negate eachother, so the above statement could preferrably be written as this:

”Anybody that does think there was massive Election Fraud in the 2020 Presidential Election is either very stupid, or very corrupt!” :o

I’m amazed that he is coming clean, but kudos to him for that. :thumbs:

https://sports.yahoo.com/trump-includes ... qbf_TH7QQL
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:38 pm Yes, making Joe prez reminds me of making Clouseau chief inspector...
or Chance Gardener the President
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm loving watching democracy work in the US. Breaking with Party ranks and doing what an elected representative believes is best for their constituents. What a concept.

Then there are those trying to turn it into a racial issue. LOL

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rep-bowma ... rants-poor
"It went from 3.5 trillion to 1.75 trillion [dollars] because him, his special interests, his donors, and lobbyists were cutting the bill for several months, because they did not want this bill to pass," Bowman said. "Why? Because this bill disproportionately supports people of color. It supports women. It supports children. It supports those who are poor and lifts them out of poverty. Why wouldn’t Manchin want to support that when this would benefit West Virginia tremendously?

"It went from 3.5 trillion to 1.75 trillion [dollars] because him, his special interests, his donors, and lobbyists were cutting the bill for several months, because they did not want this bill to pass," Bowman said. "Why? Because this bill disproportionately supports people of color. It supports women. It supports children. It supports those who are poor and lifts them out of poverty. Why wouldn’t Manchin want to support that when this would benefit West Virginia tremendously?
Only a racist would not want to add $1.75 trillion to the National debt.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If you can't pass your $3.5 trillion spending spree through democratic means, demand undemocratic means to spend that money you don't have.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white- ... ack-better

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dad-bi ... norad-call

"Let's go Brandon, I agree," Biden responded.

:eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:12 pm https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dad-bi ... norad-call

"Let's go Brandon, I agree," Biden responded.

:eh:

:santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Watching the electoral reform debate south of the border and all I can say is: if you are trying to nationalize election laws and take that power from where it has traditionally rested, in the hands of individual states, you best do so with bipartisan support. If you need to change your own legislative voting laws to ram through your electoral reform on the the slimmest of Party line votes, then your legislation sucks.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Bipartisanship is dead down here.

Have a look at at this, and maybe you'll see a need for reform.

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters ... up/620922/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm Bipartisanship is dead down here.

Have a look at at this, and maybe you'll see a need for reform.

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters ... up/620922/
the couple of paragraphs that came through were Jan 6 conspiracy theory

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Filibustering is an anti-democratic practice that I don’t know exists anywhere but in the USA, where it has mainly served to preserve racial inequalities.

It gets even more problematic when you consider that the 50 republican senators represent only 40% of the US population, whereas the 50 democratic senators represent roughly 60%. A result of each state having the same amount of senators regardless of population size. But fine, the house of representatives is supposed to better mirror the actual population, and the senate is there to allow the states, not the general public, to have more influence on the national level. I get that.

But then on top of that you have gerrymandering... :|
This is a problem specific to first past the post voting, and couldn’t happen in countries like Germany or Sweden who have proportional voting systems, ie if a party get 10% of the votes, they should have 10% of the seats. Inventive reenginering of districts won’t make any difference in a proportional system.

Now, each country has its own traditions and form of government, and that’s fine. But the way the American system works in many ways goes against the concept of one man, one vote and equal representation for all. There have now been three instances where the candidate who won the popular vote did not become president. Once in the 19th century, then Dubya vs Gore and Trump vs Clinton. To me that is signalling that the system is broken and needs fixing.

Unless, of course, you are happy with a system where the winner isn’t necessarily the candidate who gets the most votes... but then maybe you shouldn't call it a democracy.

Getting rid of the filibuster, which has as it’s sole purpose the obstruction of voting on legislation which is supported by a majority in the senate, would be a great start for moving toward a more direct democracy and less gridlock.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:32 am Filibustering is an anti-democratic practice that I don’t know exists anywhere but in the USA, where it has mainly served to preserve racial inequalities.

It gets even more problematic when you consider that the 50 republican senators represent only 40% of the US population, whereas the 50 democratic senators represent roughly 60%. A result of each state having the same amount of senators regardless of population size. But fine, the house of representatives is supposed to better mirror the actual population, and the senate is there to allow the states, not the general public, to have more influence on the national level. I get that.

But then on top of that you have gerrymandering... :|
This is a problem specific to first past the post voting, and couldn’t happen in countries like Germany or Sweden who have proportional voting systems, ie if a party get 10% of the votes, they should have 10% of the seats. Inventive reenginering of districts won’t make any difference in a proportional system.

Now, each country has its own traditions and form of government, and that’s fine. But the way the American system works in many ways goes against the concept of one man, one vote and equal representation for all. There have now been three instances where the candidate who won the popular vote did not become president. Once in the 19th century, then Dubya vs Gore and Trump vs Clinton. To me that is signalling that the system is broken and needs fixing.

Unless, of course, you are happy with a system where the winner isn’t necessarily the candidate who gets the most votes... but then maybe you shouldn't call it a democracy.

Getting rid of the filibuster, which has as it’s sole purpose the obstruction of voting on legislation which is supported by a majority in the senate, would be a great start for moving toward a more direct democracy and less gridlock.
Canada is in the same boat in regards to our electoral system. The Conservative party received more votes than the Liberals. Trudeau promised electoral reform in his first campaign, didn't come through on that. But why would he, as soon as the votes were counted it was pretty obvious that such a change would actually hurt his party's chances for power because they really only have a strong support base in Ontario and the maritime provinces.

O'Toole would be PM right now if we had proportional voting systems here.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have no problem with requiring a 60% threshold to pass major legislation, no do I have a problem with balancing rural/urban interests when it comes to general elections.

The US Electoral College system is reset with census data and without it, five major urban population centres would decide the election.

Here in Canada, Federal Elections are decided once the Greater Toronto Metro area ridings are counted.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

LINK - Biden calls Fox News reporter a "stupid son of a b---h" on hot mic
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:04 pm LINK - Biden calls Fox News reporter a "stupid son of a b---h" on hot mic
:shock:

Even Donald wasn’t that unpresidential.