US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by Chef Boi RD »

“Let’s have trial by combat”

“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Great point Dude: Giuliani and Schwarzenegger are morons!

Now please tell us: Is water wet?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

[MOD EDIT] Okay Dude, that's the 5th post today where you've plagiarized someone (Time) from now on I'm just deleting them
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-t ... ice-onwuka
Twitter, Facebook banning of Trump continues crackdown on conservatives — censorship dangerous

Facebook and Twitter drew a bright and dangerous line in the online sand late this week by banning the sitting president of the United States from their platforms.

They are treating President Trump as they do terrorists, mass murders, human traffickers and child molesters.

The Tech Titans claim they are preventing the dissemination of dangerous content. Yet the #hangMikePence threat has been trending unabated on Twitter. When it comes to President Trump, social media companies are taking the side of discrimination over freedom of expression.

People on all sides of the political spectrum should be alarmed instead of cheering Big Tech on. If the social media giants can block a Republican president from their platforms, they can also block Democratic elected officials and far-left groups.

It’s a safe bet that many of the people applauding the banning of President Trump by Twitter and Facebook would be outraged if the companies took the same action radical Democrats like Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan in response to their inflammatory posts.

The rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday — leading to the deaths of five people — were not being patriotic, nor were they defending the Constitution. They are criminals. They are not representative of conservatives or Trump supporters. People of good conscience all condemn their thuggish and illegal actions.

But unfortunately, Big Tech companies appear to be using the riot as a justification for their already questionable approach to policing political speech.

For example, the companies have a record of suppressing stories that reflect poorly on Democrats, like the scandal surrounding President-elect Joe Biden’s son Hunter — who is being investigated by the Justice Department for possible tax law violations. But this is selective censorship.

The truth is that the banning of posts by President Trump is just the latest example of the steady efforts by social media companies and others on the left to silence conservative voices. The cancel culture has now created a new and unnerving phase of a societal purge for supposed wrongthink.

Over the years, there have been many inconsistencies in the application of the rules and standards of conduct on social media platforms. These overwhelmingly weigh against conservatives.

To their credit, Big Tech companies largely fended off calls from the left to take even more draconian steps to silence their political opponents — some more than others. Perhaps that was to stay in the good graces of the Trump administration, in fear of regulatory actions that could cost the companies huge sums of money.

But with President Trump now having just over a week left in office and many Democrats calling for his impeachment, the social media companies have become emboldened to act against him.

Going forward, no individual or group is safe. As a spokesperson for the American Civil Liberties Union — no bastion of conservatism — noted in a statement: "We understand the desire to permanently suspend him [Trump] now, but it should concern everyone when companies like Facebook and Twitter wield the unchecked power to remove people from platforms that have become indispensable for the speech of billions — especially when political realities make those decisions easier."

The ACLU has pulled no punches in criticizing President Trump and his administration, but the liberal group realizes that the constitutional right to free speech belongs to all people, even when that speech is unpopular.

With their drastic action against President Trump, the social media companies can no longer feign being unbiased and apolitical. Nor do they have to. They have little reason to be restrained.

President-elect Biden is sympathetic to Big Tech, as was President Obama, who Biden served as vice president. Now we should all be concerned that Biden and a Democratic-controlled House of Representatives and Senate will pursue policies that liberal, Silicon Valley types demand to silence conservative voices.

It is becoming more and more difficult for free-marketers who believe in the concept of free speech to oppose government actions to regulate technology. Many of us have balanced our frustrations with instances of censorship against the tremendous value that social media have provided. We have faith that the market, not government, is the best way to make sure that a marketplace of ideas remains free.

Imperfect as they are, platforms such as Twitter and Facebook have offered groups of like-minded individuals and organizations a public square to meet, exchange ideas, celebrate milestones and even grieve losses.

For those of us on the right who live in deeply blue states, community groups and hashtags allowed us to gather and form associations. Conservative organizations and elected officials lean on social media to transmit their messages, build followings and secure support.

Social media platforms have been an effective tool to rapidly disseminate information, organize individuals, and democratize society — just as the printing press did nearly 600 years ago.

A plurality of Americans credit technology with making the biggest improvement to life in our country over the past five years. Censorship undermines those benefits.

The actions of social media companies now veer past hypocrisy to being harmful to public discourse and democracy. As private entities, they can enforce their rules as they please. However, they hold such a critical role in the functioning of society that they should hold themselves to a high standard and avoid becoming tools for discrimination rather than vanguards of equality.

Censoring and purging political viewpoints will not make the ideas suddenly disappear. It will only make these viewpoints go underground, create resentments, and make wounds fester. Healthy dialogue changes hearts and minds.

To heal the deep divisions in our nation, we need open forums that encourage understanding, not thought-police who selectively censor those with unpopular views and encourage groupthink.
:hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:06 pm First of all, Forbes didn't tell other companies what to do.
:wow:

Bro, that is EXACTLY their reason for the article.

Why else would they write that particular article?
I doubt you are privy to their boardroom discussions. Nevertheless this is freedom of speech, which you so eagerly want to uphold. You don't get to choose who has the right to express their opinion. You have to allow all opinions.
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 pm But regardless of who is right, ALL have the right to express their opinions in a free society.

Sadly, that's not what's happening here.

Thus my complaint.
Yes, it's called the 1st Amendment, and it's not being violated here. Prove me wrong.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Ignorant Republicans Riot And Don't Even Get Any Big-Screen TVs

https://babylonbee.com/news/ignorant-re ... witter.com&

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Ignorant Republicans rioted yesterday but didn't even snag any free big-screen TVs out of the deal, sources at the Capitol Building reported.

The short-sighted protesters stormed the Capitol without stealing a bunch of stuff, prompting many to question whether they really understand the purpose of a peaceful protest at all.

"Look at these morons, rioting at the Capitol when there's a perfectly good Target just down the street," said one CNN reporter. "If they'd looted a bunch of local businesses in the name of social justice or whatever, we'd be covering this protest a heck of a lot differently, I'll tell you that."

The rioters were condemned by people on both sides of the aisle, with critics slamming them for disrupting congressional proceedings, breaking through police barricades, and not even stealing a single Lego set, cheesecake, or Nike shoe in the name of justice. No footage emerged of the Capitol occupiers lighting cop cars on fire or throwing bricks through restaurant windows, causing the protesters to lose support from people of all political persuasions.

"One thing is clear," said one political analyst. "These people obviously don't know the sweet, sweet justice of lugging a 60-inch TV back to your apartment to show how much you care about your cause."
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 am Can you imagine if this was a Black Lives Matter riot at Capital Hill? There’d be a Civil War in the U.S. right now.
Like when BLM protesters stormed Capitol Hill during the Kavanaugh SCOTUS nomination?

Like when BLM protesters stormed Capitol Hill during the Barret SCOTUS nominations?

Like when BLM protesters burned down the White House Church?

Like when BLM protesters attempted to break into the White House?

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 am White Trash Privilege saved once again. Oh it was harmless, they were just white people rioting, storming the sacred halls of capital hill, all is good.
Are you a racist Dude?
Nah, he is just suggesting that protesters should be treted the same, regardless of race.

Far more arrests were made during the BLM protests in DC than when an armed mob broke into the capitol, egged on by a crowd shouting ”hang Mike Pence”, injuring more than 50 police officers and killing one.

Last edited by Per on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Doc is angry angry man. Who was it that hurt you Doc?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:27 pm Doc is angry angry man. Who was it that hurt you Doc?
I think he is mainly bored.

It will get better once the puck drops on Wednesday. :thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:06 pm First of all, Forbes didn't tell other companies what to do.
:wow:

Bro, that is EXACTLY their reason for the article.

Why else would they write that particular article?

Are you a Stupey Dupe?
I doubt you are privy to their boardroom discussions. Nevertheless this is freedom of speech, which you so eagerly want to uphold. You don't get to choose who has the right to express their opinion. You have to allow all opinions.
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Or are you just obtuse?

One need not be "privy to boardroom discussions" to discern the purpose of an article.

And as I said, in this particular instance I'm railing against the Cancel Culture.

The Cancel Culture is evil, as evil as BLM, both of which you seem to strongly support, interesting...

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 pm So all those people are blatant liars?

Because your lefty masters say so Mr Cancel Culture?

Well I say your lefty masters are the liars.

But regardless of who is right, ALL have the right to express their opinions in a free society.

Sadly, that's not what's happening here.

Thus my complaint.
Yes, it's called the 1st Amendment, and it's not being violated here. Prove me wrong.
Have I invoked the 1st Amendment?

No.

And it's not as simple as that.

This is a new, unique and complex problem in society today that we are discussing.

(although many foolish-or-gutless free societies HAVE lost their freedoms throughout history)

In the post above yours was a statement from the Trump-hating ACLU:

"We understand the desire to permanently suspend him [Trump] now, but it should concern everyone when companies like Facebook and Twitter wield the unchecked power to remove people from platforms that have become indispensable for the speech of billions — especially when political realities make those decisions easier."

This is a major problem. I get it, they get it, why can’t you? Are you a gomer Horsey?

Somehow these companies have become "indispensable for the speech of billions".

Therefore it is dangerous… insidious… for them to start censoring one side of the political spectrum.

But today I’ve come to realize this will backfire on them big time, so it’s all good.

See, luckily many, many people understand what’s happening here and they're determined to fight back.

Not you of course, but then you’re just a simple goosestepping moron…
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:27 pm Doc is angry angry man. Who was it that hurt you Doc?
Really?

The ole you-mad-brah routine?

“I made you angry with my obtuseness, therefore I win h'yuck!” – Horsey

Censorship, hypocrisy, and idiocy make me angry.

So yes, I’m angry with a seemingly hypocritical censorship-loving idiot named 5thHorseman ATM.

But don’t worry, the Great Strangelove is immune from meltdowns if that’s what you’re getting at.

I’ll just toss you in with the other morons and move on…
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Facebook cancels Ron Paul
Last edited by Topper on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:04 pm Facebook cancels Ron Paul
They also just removed all 'stop the steal' content.

Facebook just suspended 70,000 QAnon-linked accounts.

But on the bright side, Twitter stock prices have taken a nosedive (as predicted)

... and Trump-hating German Chancellor Angela Merkel just publicly criticized the banning of Trumpy-poo.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

But but.... we’re just conspiracy theorists...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….