US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per »

Rather than listening to a former journalist, who has been fired from several newspapers for simply being bad at her job (possibly her blatant racism may have played into it as well) why don't we go to the facts?

Here is a summary in English of the latest Swedish crime survey:
https://www.bra.se/download/18.4a33c027 ... U_2016.pdf

It's based on surveys done in 2016, and thus mainly refers to 2015.

You could say there is a crime surge in Sweden. Overall, crime is up 4% over 2014, which basically brings us back to 2005 levels (holding in mind that crime has been on a downward trend since the 1990's). The main increase is in computer fraud though, which probably doesn't make for the juicy headlines the alt right prefers.

The rise in rape statistics is mainly a statistical glitch, caused by a broadened definition of what consitutes rape in 2005. Probably also what has Assange confused. He must be aware that he was an absolute asshole to the two girls who have accused him of rape, but he maintains he did not rape them. Well, maybe he did, according to the Swedish definition, but not to his Australian definition? :|

Oh, and for the record, there are no "no go zones" in Sweden.
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.as ... el=6630452

A lot of police are resigning though, but it mainly has to do with frustration over low salaries and the new organisation; it used to be that the police force was run by the county, but a year or two they centralised it to just one national police force. This has meant a lot of changes in how they work, and caused a lot of frustration. There are a lot of people calling for the head of the police to resign.
http://www.thelocal.se/20160506/blue-fl ... -in-droves
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If you watched the video Per, they say the Swedish government and media are downplaying the crisis big time.

Oh that's right, you work for the government over there in Sweden, don't ya big guy. :look:

Interesting, now that President Trump has shone a spotlight on Sweden these crimes are making headlines:
http://time.com/4677559/stockholm-swede ... ug-arrest/

A police man takes notes at a burnt car in the suburb Rinkeby outside Stockholm, on Feb. 21, 2017. Several cars were set to fire after a riot in Rinkeby, late Feb. 20. Fredrik Sandberg—EPA
____
Try to focus on someday.
Zamboni Driver
CC Rookie

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Cornuck wrote:At some point as a rational, (somewhat) intelligent person, you'll need to stop defending this ignorant jackass
All the more amazing that the Dem's found a way to lose to him
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:If you watched the video Per, they say the Swedish government and media are downplaying the crisis big time.

Oh that's right, you work for the government over there in Sweden, don't ya big guy. :look:

Interesting, now that President Trump has shone a spotlight on Sweden these crimes are making headlines:
I wouldn't say the crisis is being downplayed; I would say there is no crisis.

And if you don't take my word for it, here is the official information on the crime and security situation in Sweden from the US State dept:
Overall Crime and Safety Situation

Post Crime Rating: Low

Crime Threats

The general crime rate in Sweden is below the U.S. national average; however, the notion that foreign travelers are immune to crime is a common misconception. The prevalent rate of crime in major urban areas shows travelers are actually more susceptible to certain types of crime (thefts) than national criminal statistics would indicate. Sweden’s geographic locale and climate affect crime rates, as crime tends to increase acutely in summer months when tourism, empty residences, and diminished police resources contribute to a spike in theft during extended daylight.

According to official statistics, 2015 saw an four percent increase in reported crimes compared to 2014. The categories of crimes that reported the highest increases were vandalism and computer-based fraud. 2015 saw a slight decrease in thefts, sex offenses, and traffic crimes. In 2015, car thefts and thefts from vehicles increased one percent from the previous year for a total number of 67,400 reported crimes.The homicide rate in 2015 remained relatively unchanged from 2014 with approximately 90 reported cases. The country is not immune to random acts of violence.
On August 10, 2015, two individuals were stabbed to death in an IKEA store in Västerås.
On October 22, 2015, a 21-year-old man attacked and killed three individuals in a school in Trollhättan (the perpetrator was shot and killed by police).

Criminal networks from neighboring Schengen countries can impact the nature of criminal activity in Sweden, but it is unknown exactly how much influence these networks have. Organized criminal activity is driven by low-level organized criminal groups, many associated with larger motorcycle gangs and organized crime elements from Eastern Europe. Small businesses have reported extortion; however, larger, international companies and franchises have not reported being targeted. Between January-August 2015, Malmö experienced 31 grenade attacks, which resulted in no deaths and minor injuries to a few individuals, that police attributed to conflicts between organized crime elements. Police made a concerted effort to stop grenade attacks, and none have been reported since then.

Cybersecurity Issues

The four percent rise in the crime rate in 2015 is greatly attributed to the rise in computer-based fraud.

Terrorism Threat

Post Terrorism Rating: Medium

Local, Regional, and International Terrorism Threats/Concerns

Sweden’s political engagement abroad has not cultivated homegrown domestic terrorist groups with a clear mandate/agenda to target Swedish infrastructure or government. However, the U.S. Embassy recognizes the possibility that unaffiliated/autonomous groups may conduct terrorist attacks.

The Schengen enlargement, which in December 2008 opened EU borders to the Baltic states, expanded the open border area with Belarus and Russia by 1,800 kilometers. Sweden has seen a rise in the number of asylum seekers entering their country. The Swedish Migration Agency estimated that the country would receive between 160,000-190,000 asylum seekers in 2015, the highest per capita in the EU. In November 2015, Sweden began temporary internal border controls in response to massive immigration flows.

In December 2010, a busy commercial district of Stockholm experienced its first reported suicide bombing. The bomber activated his devices prematurely and killed only himself.

In September 2011, four men were arrested by the Swedish Security Service for plotting to murder artist Lars Vilks.

The Swedish Security Service (SÄPO) is concerned with rapidly increasing numbers of foreign terrorist fighters who have left Sweden to join violent extremist groups in Syria. Of the 280 individuals who traveled, some 40 were killed in action, 125 remain in country, and 115 returned to Sweden. Thirty-five of the foreign fighters were females.

On November 18, 2015, SÄPO raised the national alert level to “four,” just below the highest level, indicating a real threat from a serious perpetrator with means to carry out an attack. This is the first time in modern history that Sweden has had a Level Four alert.

On December 14, 2015, the Gothenburg District Court sentenced two individuals to life in prison for “the crime of terrorism through murder” after it ruled that graphic video evidence showed the pair taking part in the beheadings of two people in Syria. The verdicts marked the first time foreign fighters were convicted in Sweden of crimes committed in Syria, and the first time individuals were convicted for the crime of terrorism as opposed to the secondary charges of crimes against humanity and murder.

Extreme right- and left-wing groups and ethnic-based groups have targeted one another in low-level violence, some of which was either attributed to commemorating anniversaries to their respective causes or in retaliation to perceived attacks.

Political, Economic, Religious, and Ethnic Violence

Post Political Violence Rating: Low

Civil Unrest

Sweden’s laws allow for peaceful demonstrations, and 2015 saw multiple demonstrations directed at the U.S. Embassy. However, these demonstrations were not “anti-American” and ended peacefully without incident. In 2015, there were demonstrations that did escalate into violence; thus, travelers should recognize the possibility that peaceful demonstrations can turn violent unexpectedly and quickly.
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRepor ... ?cid=19681

Yeah, I work for a government agency, but in a completely un-political position. Since we do business with the defense though, and occassionally handle classified information, I've had to clear security background checks, so you can rest assured that I am not a terrorist... :lol:

And riots in Sweden are rare enough to always make headlines.
Most of the footage Horowitz used was from a riot in 2013.

If you read the article you linked to, you may have noticed that what caused the riot was when the police made a drug related arrest in one of the areas (Rinkeby) that Horowitz claim they do not even dare enter. There are criminal gangs in Sweden too, and they don't always appreciate police intervention. Apart from the drug dealer(?) they also arrested one of the stone throwers, and they are investigating several others.

I don't defend the rioters; they should all be arrested imho.
But I reject the notion that the situation in Sweden is out of hand.
From your article:
"This kind of situation doesn't happen that often but it is always regrettable when it happens," Bystrom said.
This is probably one of the safest places in the world.
The odd riot in a neighbourhood with socioeconomic problems doesn't change that.

And, btw, they are about to open a new police station in central Rinkeby, which will have some 200 police officers stationed there, so the idea of a "no go zone" is ridiculous. Quite the opposite; the original report that spawned the "no go zone" myth, was a report that identified areas where the police need to increase their presence. And that's exactly what they are doing.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Vancouver must be a really bad place since we have riots as well.

I remember 1 in 2011 I think.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, if you were to believe the desinformation spread by sites like Breitbart, RT or other alt/extreme right places, Sweden is hell on earth. Thankfully, there are other, more credible sources, that beg to differ:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 22241.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ... 3e0f951cdc

http://www.thelocal.se/20161011/sweden- ... rls-report

https://goodcountry.org/index/overall-rankings

http://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articl ... _0008.html

So, in the words of Supertramp: Crisis, what crisis? :drink:
griz
CC Veteran

Post by griz »

Per, is it true that it is illegal to criticize immigration in Sweden?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

griz wrote:

Fuck Griz, I've never been to Sweden and I can tell you it's not true. You only have to watch the video link you posted to see that that "claim" is from a site call European Union Times. Google that name and you will find that it is a neo nazi rag which is famous for various tin foil hat bullshit tea party conspiracies and disinformation.

Besides all of that, it defies logic to believe the suggestion that it's against the law to criticize a government in a democratic country such as Sweden.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: I wouldn't say the crisis is being downplayed; I would say there is no crisis.

And if you don't take my word for it, here is the official (dis)information on the crime and security situation in Sweden from the US State dept:
Well the position of the US Bureau of Diplomatic Security may change under US President Trump. :mrgreen:

The video I posted talks about a "conspiracy of silence" in Sweden around "the immigrant crisis".

And some may think thou doth protest too much... amirite?

What I mean is the great lengths you're going to, trying to disprove reports of near-anarchy in Sweden

... might convince... some... folks that you're trying to hide something!

I'm not saying, I'm just saying!
Per wrote: Yeah, I work for a government agency
:look:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/265877/ ... ruce-bawer

((dozens of links there to back things up))

If everything's fine in Sweden, then why the hell are the Sweden Democrats rising in the polls? Hell, if everything's fine in Sweden, why do the Sweden Democrats exist at all? Chan and Baker interviewed a couple of leading Swedish politicians and other top members of Sweden's cultural elite, but they didn't quote any Sweden Democrats.

Nor did they quote any ordinary Swedes like my many Swedish friends on Facebook, every one of whom gave Trump a full thumbs-up. (Example: “Trump may be clumsy but it is true that we have a crisis in Sweden. It is not about what happened or what didn't happen on a specific night. It is a crisis which has lead to a complete U-turn in the debate about immigration. The self-proclaimed humanitarian superpower has zealously introduced border checks and tougher asylum laws. Attitudes are changing by the hour.”) They didn't quote anybody from the Australian version of 60 Minutes whose crew was physically attacked last year when they tried to report from one of those non-existent no-go zones. They didn't quote the Bosnian immigrant to Sweden who calls himself “The Angry Foreigner” and who has recorded a number of highly informative videos about the Swedish crisis. (On Monday, he posted a new video responding to the whole Trump debacle.)

They didn't quote Stephen Jerand, chief of police in the Swedish city of Östersund, who three weeks ago urged Swedish women to “adjust their behavior” in order to avoid rape by you-know-who. They didn't quote Swedish police inspector Lars Alvarsjö, who warned last year that the country's police departments and courts were on the verge of collapse because of the crush of immigrant crime. They didn't quote the Swedish cop who told one reporter just the other day that he would never drop his daughter off at the central train station in Stockholm because of the abusive conduct of the Moroccan youths who congregate there. They didn't quote Peter Springare, a police investigator in Örebro, Sweden, who got in trouble with authorities for stating publicly that virtually all of the criminals he deals with are Muslims. They didn't quote Stefan Sinteus, police chief in Malmö, who has complained about the “upward spiral of violence” by Muslim immigrants in that city, Sweden's third largest. They didn't quote any of the other Swedish police officers who last year told Norway's NRK that more than 50 neighborhoods in Sweden were, indeed, no-go areas where “lawlessness reigns.”

They didn't talk to John Dübeck, who teaches English, considers himself a leftist, and recently reported on Facebook about students of his who admit freely that they want sharia law in Sweden and look forward to a world “where all the whites have been killed.” (Wrote Dübeck: “I know students who've been raped by relatives, but don't dare report it because they're convinced other relatives will kill them....I know students who don't dare remove their hijab because they're afraid of being abused and raped....I know ethnic Swedish students who speak with a [Muslim immigrant] accent, just to avoid being frozen out. I know students who use 'fucking whore' or 'fucking faggot' to address ethnic Swedes.”) They didn't talk to the gutsy Swedish journalist Ingrid Carlqvist, who has powerfully spelled out the truth about Sweden for the Glazov Gang and for Gad Saad. They didn't quote the indispensable Pat Caddell, who in a memorable November 2015 video summed up the Swedish nightmare quite succinctly.

On Monday, in the midst of the hullabaloo over Trump's Sweden remark, Tucker Carlson spoke again with Ari Horowitz, who stood his ground. Carlson then interviewed two shameless party-liners: Anne-Sophie Naslund, a U.S. correspondent for the Swedish newspaper Expressen, and Azita Raji, who served as America's ambassador to Sweden under Obama. Both of them served up nothing but nonsense. Listening to them, you'd think this was all fantasy. You'd think there was no such thing as the Sweden Democrats. You'd think Ingrid Carlqvist and all the others were just making stuff up.

“Violent riots” (as even Swedish television put it) erupted in Rinkeby, one of the Muslim-heavy Stockholm suburbs whose names have become very familiar to those of us around the world who follow these matters. Locals set cars on fire, threw stones at police, looted stores, and beat people up. One witness called it “a war zone.” But don't worry: this sort of thing happens all the time there. It's just a matter of getting used to it. And learning to deliver Orwellian lies about it to the outside world – learning to insist, smoothly and charmingly and with a genial smile on your face, that war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. All, needless to say, in the name of a higher moral duty.
Per, no offense but are you storebror?? :shock:

BTW "no go zone" simply means police won't go in without backup...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: BTW "no go zone" simply means police won't go in without backup...
No, here's the definition as given by wikipedia:
"No-go area" (or "no-go zone") is an area in a town barricaded off to civil authorities by a force such as a paramilitary, or barred to certain individuals or groups.[1] It has also been used to refer to areas undergoing insurgency where ruling authorities have lost control and are unable to enforce sovereignty.[2]
Collins English Dictionary gives a similar explanation:
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a district in a town that is barricaded off, usually by a paramilitary organization, within which the police, army, etc, can only enter by force
2. an area that is barred to certain individuals, groups, etc
I'd say the only countries in Europe with no go zones are Georgia and the Ukraine, as parts of their territory is held by pro-Russian insurgents. Albeit, I'm not sure, there could be some place in Kosovo too.

I mean sure, you can start making up phony definitions of words and phrases, but then eventually they lose all meaning. That there are some parts of a city that have more criminal activity than others is unfortunate but pretty normal. It doesn't mean that it has become a no go zone, unless the government gives up and withdraws. And this has not happened anywhere in Sweden. Nor France. Nor Britain.

The European far right claims otherwise, but it is in their interest to spread fear and division, as this is how they attract new followers. And the Russians help spread this desinformation, because it is in their interest to weaken the European Union.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

griz wrote:[/youtube]

Of course not. It's basically the only thing the Sweden Democrats do, from waking up till going to bed.

Sweden had freedom of speech and freedom of the press written into the constitution in 1766 already*, if I'm not mistaken the first country to do so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Sweden

There is no censorship of any media, publication or books.

There are some exceptions though, notably regarding child pornography, hate speech and libel. Thus you are allowed to publish whatever you want, but if it qualifies as child pornography, hate speech or libel, you could be going to court over it.

We did have censorship of films shown at cinemas until 2011. Now they just decide what age you have to be to see a particular movie.

Now, the thing is, when eg neonazis talk about immigration, they often resort to hate speech. If they eg argue that "immigrants of inferior races pollute the pure Scandinavian stock" or claim that "Mexicans are rapists", this would probably be considered hate speech. As long as they are just talking about numbers or housing problems or rising unemployment, they should be fine.

*There was a backlash in 1772, as the king Gustav III through a coupe became an absolute monarch (pretty much the same as a dictator), not answering to the parliament and above the constitution (sort of like Trump thinks he is), but in 1809, as we adopted a new constitution, these freedoms were reinstated.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
griz wrote: Per, is it true that it is illegal to criticize immigration in Sweden?
Of course not. It's basically the only thing the Sweden Democrats do, from waking up till going to bed.

Sweden had freedom of speech and freedom of the press...

There are some exceptions though, notably... hate speech and libel
Swedish journalist Ingrid Carlqvist says the opinions of the SDs are seldom recorded by the Swedish press.

(the lady in the hour-long *excellent* video interview I posted)

The opinions of the SDs reflect the opinions of a large number of Swedes no?

SD is the largest political party in Sweden no?

If they talk about the immigrant crisis "from waking up till going to bed" it must be a major problem no?

Ingrid says that the press muzzles what the SDs have to say about the immigrant crisis

... because, ridiculously, they equate any such talk with "hate speech".

(mustn't imply anything negative about any immigrants) :roll:

Per are you and your Swedish media suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

Even over here across the pond, it's hard to find anything in the media about what the SDs are saying.

And yet the SDs speak for a huge portion of Swedes! :crazy:

On this side of the pond everyone has heard what the former Swedish foreign minister said:

"What has he (President Trump) been smoking?"

Yes, we hear plenty of mocking from high-ranking Swedes about Trump alluding to a crisis.

But next to nothing from these SDs who represent a high % of Swedes!

(those ones you say talk about the immigrant crisis "from waking up till going to bed")

As a matter of fact, the first article I found was just a few minutes ago:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02 ... right.html

Two leading Swedish politicians have a message for President Trump’s critics: He’s right.

Per Jimmie Akesson and Mattias Karlsson, both leaders of the Sweden Democrats, penned a Wall Street Journal op-ed on Wednesday supporting Trump’s characterization of a Muslim immigrant-led crime crisis in Sweden.

“Mr. Trump did not exaggerate Sweden’s current problems,” Akesson and Karlsson wrote. “If anything, he understated them.”

“Riots and social unrest have become a part of everyday life,” Akesson and Karlsson wrote. “Police officers, firefighters and ambulance personnel are regularly attacked. Serious riots in 2013, involving many suburbs with large immigrant populations, lasted for almost a week. Gang violence is booming. Despite very strict firearms laws, gun violence is five times as common in Sweden, in total, as in the capital cities of our three Nordic neighbors combined.”

They added: “Anti-Semitism has risen. Jews in Malmo are threatened, harassed and assaulted in the streets. Many have left the city, becoming internal refugees in their country of birth.”
As for the "no go zone" let's not get into a semantics game.

There are "no go zones" in some minor sections of major cities in America.

Police and media in America always use the definition I did for "no go zone".

(police won't go in without backup)

Many massive such no-go zones in Sweden now, that's what people have been meaning to say...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

There are many, many Swedes that are not sharing Pers' perspective. My entire inlaw family will fall into this category.
It seems to me that in Sweden you are either vehemently defending the idea that there isnt an issue or you are quietly agreeing. Swedes generally don't like to stir up the shit which might explain why its harder to find people willing to publicly acknowledge there is a problem.
This is vid is a little old and Per certainly will have watched it by now but still funny

Edit: why is it so damn hard to link a youtube vid in this format? What is the combination of fucking letters and numbers from the link again???

MOD EDIT: fixed
If you need air...call it in