My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: My Truck...

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:58 am
Topper wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:42 pm Early Christmas news. New bumpers are built, powder coated and install scheduled for early January.

Time to cut the fenders.
Back to this, I guess another reason why leasing just isn’t an option for your fleet!

What was the total lead time from ordering to delivery?

Didn’t you completely customize the rear bumper of your last Taco as well?
Turns out the guy who bought and trailered away my old truck has a fabricating business making off road parts and doing extreme off road modifications and builds. Specializes in Toyotas but is starting to do Colorado and Bronco builds. He had a no hassle buy of my truck (I wanted it out of the driveway, no time for nickel and dime parting it out and then paying to have whats left dragged away even if it may have been a few more bucks in my pocket) and offered me a discount on parts from his shop to build up the new truck. Six week lead time which is a hell of a lot better than some of the larger US fab shops (CBI in Idaho builds nice stuff) with 4-6mo wait times.

My old truck will likely end up with a LS motor and solid front axle with long travel rear suspension.

Selling the old one was hilarious. Throw an ad on marketplace and then fight off the dogs. This got got hold of me, asked for a couple of specific picture and once he had those he sent a deposit and said he'd drive from the coast the next day. As soon as I changed the ad to sale pending, things went nuts. "I'll pay more", "I'll be there before the other guy".......Not how I do business, the guy put down a deposit, it is his until we can't make a deal.

I don't recall any fab shops around when I built the old truck. OME suspension, ARB front bumper (both from Australia) and a rear bumper from a guy in Texas.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:59 am Turns out the guy who bought and trailered away my old truck has a fabricating business making off road parts and doing extreme off road modifications and builds. Specializes in Toyotas but is starting to do Colorado and Bronco builds. He had a no hassle buy of my truck (I wanted it out of the driveway, no time for nickel and dime parting it out and then paying to have whats left dragged away even if it may have been a few more bucks in my pocket) and offered me a discount on parts from his shop to build up the new truck. Six week lead time which is a hell of a lot better than some of the larger US fab shops (CBI in Idaho builds nice stuff) with 4-6mo wait times.

My old truck will likely end up with a LS motor and solid front axle with long travel rear suspension.

Selling the old one was hilarious. Throw an ad on marketplace and then fight off the dogs. This got got hold of me, asked for a couple of specific picture and once he had those he sent a deposit and said he'd drive from the coast the next day. As soon as I changed the ad to sale pending, things went nuts. "I'll pay more", "I'll be there before the other guy".......Not how I do business, the guy put down a deposit, it is his until we can't make a deal.

I don't recall any fab shops around when I built the old truck. OME suspension, ARB front bumper (both from Australia) and a rear bumper from a guy in Texas.
Nice, yeah all I hear is how difficult parts for anything is to get or fabrication of custom parts has such a crazy lead time! Always awesome to make local connections.

Yeah selling things privately is one of my least favourite tasks. Anything automotive these days gets. crazy response and I'm the same as you, I'll pick the easiest and quickest transaction over holding out and trying to get a few extra bucks. Buying I'm the same way, if I need it and think it's fair value I'll give you what you want and pay quickly.

I seem to recall a shop in North Van that sold off-road and did some fab, maybe skid plates and step bars. But don't recall if they did full bumpers unless they brought them in from ARB and the likes.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:41 am Yeah selling things privately is one of my least favourite tasks.
Yes.
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:41 am Buying I'm the same way, if I need it and think it's fair value I'll give you what you want and pay quickly.
Yes.

We used to joke as punk ass bitch kids that if we could get a pack of smokes, a gram of weed and a case of beer across the street for $100.00 or get in the car and drive 15 minutes for $50.00 we'd take the former all day long.
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:41 am I seem to recall a shop in North Van that sold off-road and did some fab, maybe skid plates and step bars. But don't recall if they did full bumpers unless they brought them in from ARB and the likes.
https://westcoastoffroaders.com/
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Maybe North Shore Off Road, I replaced my OME shocks through them once.

There are now a couple of fab shops in the lower mainland doing there own thing, one on the island and a couple in Kamloops.

There is also a guy on the island who cuts all the panels and ships with instructions to weld up for your own bumper. A good alternative of you or a friend can weld, them paint or have it powder coated.

Lots of other places selling and installing from other manufacturers.

This whole roof top tent, overlanding fad has them all busy.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Donny, that could be them! I swear they made their own though, maybe not anymore. Look like most of their stuff is CBI.

It's been so long all the websites are different now so nothing looks familiar.

The aftermarket industry has just taken off, for everything from newer cars to classics as well. Wait times are nuts!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:41 am Buying I'm the same way, if I need it and think it's fair value I'll give you what you want and pay quickly.
Wife's car and my truck were both bought last summer/fall. Salesman we'd dealt with 11 years ago on my wife's previous car. MSRP + dealer fee then discounted the dealer fee. This at a time some dealers are adding $5K - $10K fee on top of MSRP. Not a lot of negotiation leverage these days. We put $500 down on each as a deposit and when the vehicle arrived we'd get a call to make arrangements to complete the purchase agreement and pick it up.

Horrors stories out of the US of some shady dealers taking a deposit and when the truck shows up 3 months later, they have three or four buyers in the show room. Tell the guy with the deposit there is an additional $10K fee and if he walks one of the other buyers will take it.

The 3rd Gen Tacoma requires cutting the front fenders to install a bumper.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

This is the shop doing mine.

https://bigcountrycustoms.com/

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:35 pm This is the shop doing mine.

Awesome, are you going with something similar to the other bumper you had?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:37 pm

Awesome, are you going with something similar to the other bumper you had?
2015+ plate front bumper with a low hoop and a standard rear bumper without the swingout carriers.

I black friday'd some Diode Dynamic SS3 Pro amber fogs that are fucking incredible. Did a trip last week over the Paulson and Strawberry passes in flat light steady snow and then fading daylight. The foreground definition of the selective yellow was amazing and their ability to cut through the blowing snow from oncoming traffic blew me away.

I'm waiting on a second set that I'll mount at headlight level behind the grill with a clear driving lens pattern, cut out small windows in the grill and run them as auxiliary high beams. These I ordered with select yellow lenses and then added the clear driving lenses to the order so they'll be 4000K colour temp (like a regular halogen) instead of the blueish white 6000K.

All SAE compliant and legal for road use but I'll be able to light up the FSR roads for night runs to the drill.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/off-road- ... bezel.html

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Sounds like they work perfectly for you! Especially in your diverse driving conditions, most off-roading I do is to go grab our Xmas tree in Myra Canyon. :lol:

LEDs have advanced so much it's crazy!
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

They're just down the road from me. Get some parts for the Taco from them occasionally. Last time one of the guys dropped the parts off at my place on his way home after work. Nice guys.

Just ordered a 2022 Tundra. $500 deposit. MSRP + dealer fees. About as good as it gets these days. Will have to wait 6-8 months worst case, but hoping for early spring. Salesman was telling me all sorts of horror stories too.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:27 pm

They're just down the road from me. Get some parts for the Taco from them occasionally. Last time one of the guys dropped the parts off at my place on his way home after work. Nice guys.

Just ordered a 2022 Tundra. $500 deposit. MSRP + dealer fees. About as good as it gets these days. Will have to wait 6-8 months worst case, but hoping for early spring. Salesman was telling me all sorts of horror stories too.
Yes, when he came and picked up my old truck I had a chance to talk for a while. Good guy. He was appalled with me when he asked about 4 wheeling areas and trails in my neck of the woods and I said I couldn't be bothered. I work in the bush, going out to get stuck somewhere on my off time isn't in the cards. Had a good laugh.

The looks of the new Tundra is going to have to grow on me.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

That's hilarious, I didn't even look at the address, one of my dad's shops used to be right across the street where Clear Choice Windows is now.

We consolidated locations into one big shop in Cloverdale before he sold everything.

Used to get a lot of stuff powder coated next door.

Worked for a while out there myself!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:43 pm

That's hilarious, I didn't even look at the address, one of my dad's shops used to be right across the street where Clear Choice Windows is now.

We consolidated locations into one big shop in Cloverdale before he sold everything.

Used to get a lot of stuff powder coated next door.

Worked for a while out there myself!
powder coating place is across the street from them

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:44 pm
powder coating place is across the street from them
They're really nice guys if it's the same outfit!

They'd powder coat a ton of stuff for me for around the house, I'd just ask to let me know when they were doing a certain colour/texture and they'd throw it in the run.