My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: My Truck...

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:52 pm Blizzak WS80 is fantastic on ice and pretty durable for me. 3rd winter now and lots of highway miles. I recommend them
Had those on the wife's car before the Michelin's x ice she now has. Good on ice but not sure about them off road or following a cat building new road
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:20 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:52 pm Blizzak WS80 is fantastic on ice and pretty durable for me. 3rd winter now and lots of highway miles. I recommend them
Had those on the wife's car before the Michelin's x ice she now has. Good on ice but not sure about them off road or following a cat building new road
I had 10 ply blizzaks up north on a company lease for the mines, they were expensive but tough as fuck.

Here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... iliate=FH8

They'll be what you want
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:06 pm
Topper wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:20 pm
I had 10 ply blizzaks up north on a company lease for the mines, they were expensive but tough as fuck.

Here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... iliate=FH8

They'll be what you want
Those may work, same price as the DuraTracs but not available in the size I run (235/85/16) though the 265/70/17 will fit the stock rims.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I had them on for a bunch of trips up to dublin gulch. Once every 2 weeks i drove 6 hours of hwy then a couple more on the mine access...only to rip around the site on that shaley crap.

10 ply is why they can take a shit kicking
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ended up going with the same DuraTracs and having them siped. I'll run them year round.

LT235/85/16 E

Tire tech as he gave my truck back "siped pizza cutters, you'll be able to go anywhere"

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 am Ended up going with the same DuraTracs and having them siped. I'll run them year round.

LT235/85/16 E

Tire tech as he gave my truck back "siped pizza cutters, you'll be able to go anywhere"
Reefer always says...long and thin always gets it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:17 am
Topper wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 am Ended up going with the same DuraTracs and having them siped. I'll run them year round.

LT235/85/16 E

Reefer always says...long and thin always gets it in
I thought it was "a long fin always gets it in".....?

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

LT235/85/16 E

From a tires board:
I'm on my 2nd set of duratrac tires already in 287/75/16's. First set I got about 20k miles on them before I got rid of them. They were at the wear bars already (damn supercharger)
On my 2nd set I decided to get them siped. They already come winter rated with sipes but I decided to take the chance and get them siped for extra winter traction.....
HOLY CRAP....22k miles later I still have 30% tread wear left and my driving habits ( heavy foot ) have not changed. Not only do I still have considerable tread left but siping has made the ride "MUCH MUCH better. Traction in snow is much much greater as in rain and on dry pavement.
So I consider siping duratracs very worthwhile and plan to do it again on my future sets as it increased traction, comfort, and long term longevity.
looks like you'll get a good 35k-40k km out of em with better traction.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL, I'm pretty happy to get anything over 20K kilometres out of a set of tires.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A run through the Okanogan yesterday, ice, slush, compact snow, and freezing rain. Fucking awesome.

JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Topper wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:31 am A run through the Okanogan yesterday, ice, slush, compact snow, and freezing rain. Fucking awesome.
Late to the party - but those are what I've always run up here in the North. I have a siped set for winter, and a beat up set for summer. Only issues I face vs. true winter tires are temps below -25C, rubber gets hard. But these days, I don't go that far into the bush past -20C... too damn cold for a long walk out if necessary.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What does the Chef’s work truck look like? Probably a couple dozen empties thrashing around on the floors and stuffed under seats. I guarantee there’s a couple McDonald’s bags and Tim Hortons cups scattered about. Probably a couple invoices and receipts to Home Depot in the console. A CD case that is riddle with white powder and a couple short straws. How bout masks Chef? I can see you probably wearing the same paper mask until the straps break. Then re-use them to scratch your ass and clean up that hairy swamp of butt gravy. Maybe a couple pairs of leggings and a Mac jacket or two. Tools scattered about everywhere. You aren’t a young man anymore Boss.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 pm What does the Chef’s work truck look like? Probably a couple dozen empties thrashing around on the floors and stuffed under seats. I guarantee there’s a couple McDonald’s bags and Tim Hortons cups scattered about. Probably a couple invoices and receipts to Home Depot in the console. A CD case that is riddle with white powder and a couple short straws. How bout masks Chef? I can see you probably wearing the same paper mask until the straps break. Then re-use them to scratch your ass and clean up that hairy swamp of butt gravy. Maybe a couple pairs of leggings and a Mac jacket or two. Tools scattered about everywhere. You aren’t a young man anymore Boss.
A poppy stuck in the visor

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Can you use studded tyres in Canada? I don't want anything else on icy roads.

I use Nokia Hakkapeliitta 9. If you look at the tyre pattern, they're basically siped from the get go, for better traction, and then they have two different types of studs. Can't beat them for performance on ice. Couple of other tyres that are as good or better in slush and on wet roads, but ice is where it really matters what kind of grip you get - or don't.

https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyre ... eliitta-9/
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Car tires. Ran studless nokians on my wife's car several years ago. Amazing but silly expensive here. Michelin x-ice are 2/3 the price.

I briefly had nokian mud tires on my truck. Garbage sidewalls that punctured too easily. Traded them back with 70% left on the tread.