CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Bought a new fridge, confirmed height, confirmed width, did not check depth and the new one is deeper by a few inches so confirm all 3 sizes.
I just gave them the model# of my present ones and asked them to give me options that are the same size.

(I called three appliance shops and asked them to email me some choices/prices)
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Shopped around and bought from Best Buy, did not get the ice cube maker or water as the filters were expensive and hard to keep clean and I would need to run a water line. Plus those are extra items that just break.
Well I already have the waterlines from the present fridge, and never had any probs there (copper coil).

Plus I like that feature.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Went with a bottom freezer as it is larger and easier to put things in and out
Interesting, I'll ask the wife if she prefers that.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm especially since my wife is shorter and cannot always see way back in the freezer.
Good thing for you she can't see what's back there eh buds. :sly:
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Shelves in the freezer were not the wire type where things can fall from top shelve to bottom, helps when things fall out of bags and they care contained to 1 area.
I'll keep that in mind.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Bought a stainless steel frisge, no finger print one, ok the no fingerprint part is a joke, finger prints everywhere and hard to keep clean. BUT did save money on the electrical bill as this new one was way more efficient. In future would never buy SS again.
I have no idea what all this 'no fingerprint' business is all about... makes the unit more efficient??

Gotta have SS... it's an SS kitchen and the wife loves dat dere.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Also bought a new dishwasher and went with the Bosch manufactured but not Bosch name, super freaking quiet that the first few times we did not know if it was working. I was a cheap bugger before and it was all about $ so I did not care about noise, it was so bad we would only put the dishwasher on before going to bed because you could not hear the TV.
Never thought about the noise factor, thanks.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Installed myself and it was easy, the electrical part was a little tricky so was the different type of hoses going back and forth. Had to run some additional hose from the sink to the dishwasher hose so bought the extra stuff from Homedepot. Where the hose went it was a small fit so I sent my skinny son in to put part of it together.
Don't want to install it myself for warranty and insurance reasons.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 pm Went simple and did not get a lot of the bells and whistles as again these things break, bought one where the tray will not discolour or rust after a couple years. They are all not econo so saving water is a priority, less water is used but the wash cycle can be longer, over 2 hours now. Can do a short wash for 45 minutes but never used it. Also the top does not have a the item that twirls around to put out water, when you have one on top and bottom you actually lose a couple inches to put tall items on the top shelve.
I'm leaning toward SS interior, never thought about the room taken up by the spinner thingy so thanks again Reef.

I like to save as much money as possible so the salesperson doesn't think I'm a schmo, plus the wife pleasures me when I save big bucks

... but I do like to have above average quality (to make the neighbours feel inferior) :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Have a confined space between wall and cabinets for the fridge. Samsung makes one that fits and is a couple of inches deeper. Tons of interior space. Bottom slide out freezer is the only way to go. You get a great view of her arse when she's getting things from the freezer.

Picked up a Kenmore before Sears went under. Model is made by Bosch, has the third shelf upper rack for utensils freeing up bottom rack space for dishes. Also has the baskets for cutlery if that is what you want. Quiet is a big issue in our place for the dishwasher.

White goods are white.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Doc, we're slowly converting our place from stainless to the black stainless. It has an additional coating to create the darker look but it cleans so much easier! Kids are brutal on the traditional stainless.

Usually find floor models in good shape and buy those, they negotiate much more on these items! Had to replace the dishwasher and now our fridge in our new place since moving in. Woke up the other morning to the ice all melted in the freezer of the fridge. We went with some Samsung appliances because we liked the reviews and the how the finish went with our kitchen.

Samsung Fridge

Samsung Dishwasher

I'm a huge fan of the 3rd rack on the dishwashers for cutlery and utensils that don't fit normally.

Definitely didn't pay those prices and got warranties negotiated in as well. Full 5 year on the fridge which I'm happy about!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The Koreans (sansung, lg, etc) apparently are making the better quality household appliances according to a buddy who does warranty repairs in that shit. I think that applies more to the middle to lower end stuff.
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

A $4,000+ fridge is now middle to lower end?!

Life is Good for the Koreans.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 am
I'm a huge fan of the 3rd rack on the dishwashers for cutlery and utensils that don't fit normally.

we wanted the 3rd level but it was more expensive and I found you have to check how it impacts the top row and the glasses you put in etc.

All about size.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Your advice is helpful and much appreciated my cyberfriends.

I'm going to take my time with this... mostly because I'm feeling very shitty again today. :(

My neighbour says I'm crazy to replace the fridge when it might be repaired fairly easily.

(it is/was a top-of-the-line model when i bought it over a decade ago)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 am

we wanted the 3rd level but it was more expensive and I found you have to check how it impacts the top row and the glasses you put in etc.

All about size.
The glass rack is adjustable. With a tall tub dishwasher and adjustable racks I've never had an issue!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm .
Your advice is helpful and much appreciated my cyberfriends.

I'm going to take my time with this... mostly because I'm feeling very shitty again today. :(

My neighbour says I'm crazy to replace the fridge when it might be repaired fairly easily.

(it is/was a top-of-the-line model when i bought it over a decade ago)
Key word is "might", and if it is repaired easily then you're good to go. The fact that it's lasted over 10 years is a bloody miracle in appliances these days. Issue could be whether or not they have the parts to fix the issue!

But I'm no refrigeration expert!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Steer clear of the Samsung Washers and Dryers. They've had a bad rep for a few years now.

I'm in the market for a new dishwasher and like Aaron, I'm waiting for a floor model to go on sale.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well I bought the fridge and dishwasher today.

You guys had me looking at bottom freezer style... but the best deals I could find were on side by sides.

Aaron I thought long and hard about floor models... and was close to getting a pair.

The fridge was already $700 off... then the wife noticed 3 or 4 small dings.

So I talked the guy down another $300... but in the end wifey just wasn't happy with those dings.

Interesting that every other SS fridge was shiny, sparkly clean... but this one was filthy.

Wifey said they did this on purpose so that the dings wouldn't show up.

We had the weird feeling someone had purchased and returned that fridge...

So yeah, ended up with a large new Whirlpool SS sideXside fridge with water/ice dispenser

... and the matching dishwater, SS innards, low decibel level, adjustable shelves.

Got them for close to 30% off the list price, but no extended warranty.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Happy wife!

Likely a return damaged in shipping. I’m fine with dings on the side as ours is completely enclosed so you can’t see the sides at all. But the front has to be mint, yknow so my kids and dogs can dent it up properly! :roll:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

We have a Whirlpool washer & dryer that's over 12 years old and a Whirlpool fridge that's over 15. All still running well.

You did good, Doc.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 pm Well I bought the fridge and dishwasher today.

You guys had me looking at bottom freezer style... but the best deals I could find were on side by sides.

Aaron I thought long and hard about floor models... and was close to getting a pair.

The fridge was already $700 off... then the wife noticed 3 or 4 small dings.

So I talked the guy down another $300... but in the end wifey just wasn't happy with those dings.

Interesting that every other SS fridge was shiny, sparkly clean... but this one was filthy.

Wifey said they did this on purpose so that the dings wouldn't show up.

We had the weird feeling someone had purchased and returned that fridge...

So yeah, ended up with a large new Whirlpool SS sideXside fridge with water/ice dispenser

... and the matching dishwater, SS innards, low decibel level, adjustable shelves.

Got them for close to 30% off the list price, but no extended warranty.
The ice dispenser is invaluable.

Whether you are opting for a GT, mojito, long island ice tea... or just a couple of cubes in a glass of orange juice, water or crushed ice for lemonade.

Invaluable.

(Whisky though, should be neat with a glass of water on the side. Anything else is barbaric. Just saying.)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We never had ice in the house growing up. Mom lost the recipe.

Odd Per talking about about the need for ICE. There is hope.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.