CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by Cornuck »

Located in modern Turkey, Göbekli Tepe is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world. The discovery of this stunning 10,000 year old site in the 1990s CE sent shock waves through the archaeological world and beyond, with some researchers even claiming it was the site of the biblical Garden of Eden. The many examples of sculptures and megalithic architecture which make up what is perhaps the world's earliest temple at Göbekli Tepe predate pottery, metallurgy, the invention of writing, the wheel and the beginning of agriculture. The fact that hunter–gatherer peoples could organize the construction of such a complex site as far back as the 10th or 11th millennium BC not only revolutionizes our understanding of hunter-gatherer culture but poses a serious challenge to the conventional view of the rise of civilization.
While I don't keep tabs on all the latest discoveries, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this one before.

https://www.worldhistory.org/article/23 ... st-temple/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:43 am
Located in modern Turkey, Göbekli Tepe is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world. The discovery of this stunning 10,000 year old site in the 1990s CE sent shock waves through the archaeological world and beyond, with some researchers even claiming it was the site of the biblical Garden of Eden. The many examples of sculptures and megalithic architecture which make up what is perhaps the world's earliest temple at Göbekli Tepe predate pottery, metallurgy, the invention of writing, the wheel and the beginning of agriculture. The fact that hunter–gatherer peoples could organize the construction of such a complex site as far back as the 10th or 11th millennium BC not only revolutionizes our understanding of hunter-gatherer culture but poses a serious challenge to the conventional view of the rise of civilization.
While I don't keep tabs on all the latest discoveries, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this one before.

Wow, thanks for sharing - I hadn't heard of this discovery either.

Just as an aside - shouldn't this be in the "Is there a God" thread? LOL
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:56 am Just as an aside - shouldn't this be in the "Is there a God" thread? LOL
AND in the conspiracy thread? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:43 am

We were just tripping on this like a month ago...

There's an even older, trippier one called Karahan Tepe close by with animals and dick statues everywhere. They haven't finished dating it but early estimates place it much older than gobekli tepe.

You have to check out that new Graham Hancock series on pri.e or Netflix. Smoke a fat doobie before each episode for maximum tripability
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Yup. These discoveries go against the conventional wisdom of the rise of civilisation.
Very interesting, and they’re still discovering more and more stuff in that area.

It’s not the only place that doesn’t fit the pattern either. In Sweden they found a site where tons of fish was fermented back in mesolithic time, before agriculture had reached Scandinavia. The size of the ”processing plant” makes no sense relative to the supposed size of the population in that area, who were also supposedly nomadic. There was no way they could eat that much fish. So either the population was much bigger than we have thought, or they traded over huge areas in a time when we thought such trade routes were non existent.

Or maybe it was just some crazy ass hunter gatherer dude who figured ”I am going to build the biggest fish processing plant anyone has ever seen, put everyone I know to work in it and process so much fish we will never be able to eat it all, even if we live to be 100 years old!” Or maybe they just used the fermented fish to scare away potential enemies. :look:

And Tut Ankh Amun was buried with a dagger made of iron. Despite living in the bronze age, many centuries before people learnt how to make iron. :wow:
They solved that riddle though. The dagger is made from shrapnel from an iron meteorite. Some meteorites are almost pure iron, and the bronze age metal workers were skilled enough to be able to use it to make that knife. It must have been a priceless object though.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Boston celebrates MLK Day by unveiling statue of his huge dong.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Pretty interesting, first time since 1961 has the population in China declined.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/1 ... years-data

Read an interesting book about population growth and it was predicted for a while that China is heading for a depopulation. India on the other hand will continue to grow and it is not known when their population will peek. The population of China will decrease 3 x Canada's population in the next 25 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:39 am Boston celebrates MLK Day by unveiling statue of his huge dong.

Thought this would be on the Nashville Skyline

I wonder if there were any Spinal Tap/Stonehenge moments in the design?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Pauser

Image[/url]

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

"oh my ribs!"

That was some funny shit, thanks for the laugh.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So here I am...all fucked up super Scooby snacked, wake 'n baked out on a Sunday morning....stretching on the Persian rug, listening to pink floyd deep tracks... when it dawns on me....

This is what the Chef said I would be doing

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ricky's annual salary is the cost of a Vancouver home.