CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:haha hope ya'll get some much needed showers up there topper!
Topper showers outside a trailer on the ass end of hope.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:We don't get much summer here in the NWT, and last year was fucking a Beijing nightmare of smog and smoke and ash, thankfully I'm not a chain-smoking 60-year old (only a chain-smoking 30-year old). Only road south (16 hours to Edmonton) was closed for weeks, people hoarding gas,women throwing their babies from the cliffs, it sucked. By the sounds of friends and family back in BC, it's been a tough summer in some areas.
Oh my god, that sounds fucking awful. Sometimes I like to romanticize the idea of living somewhere remote like that, but one road south and it's closed... :lol: :lol: (there's no crying emoticon to pair that up with)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Despite your fantasies, I'm not banging your mother.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
That's good. Necrophilia is for weirdos.

"Your Momma" jokes are weak.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:We don't get much summer here in the NWT, and last year was fucking a Beijing nightmare of smog and smoke and ash, thankfully I'm not a chain-smoking 60-year old (only a chain-smoking 30-year old). Only road south (16 hours to Edmonton) was closed for weeks, people hoarding gas,women throwing their babies from the cliffs, it sucked. By the sounds of friends and family back in BC, it's been a tough summer in some areas.
Oh my god, that sounds fucking awful. Sometimes I like to romanticize the idea of living somewhere remote like that, but one road south and it's closed... :lol: :lol: (there's no crying emoticon to pair that up with)
All you can do is laugh about it, because to think the short (and I mean SHORT) summer you get between the 8 months of happiness-crippling winter and darkness (and single month of spring/fall) is filled with smoke and ash would drive many people nuts. This year has been much better.

The drive to Edmonton is painfully boring, and fraught with bison roadblocks. And at the end of it you wind up in Edmonton. Dump. And yeah, the town leaves a lot to be desired. The people are pretty good, at least the ones that aren't wasted on listerene and semi-comatose outside the post office or sheltering themselves in bank ATM vestibules. Booze is expensive, and the nightlife sucks. Although I did have a good shift with Kevin Bieksa's dad at one of the (since closed) sports bars in town a few years back.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
That's good. Necrophilia is for weirdos.

"Your Momma" jokes are weak.
You buried her in a trailer park at the ass end of Hope.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sitting around at midnight last night there was an especially bright lightening flash to start a downpour. Almost immediately there was a very loud boom of thunder so i wandered out the back door onto the porch. About a kilometre away, on a grassy hillside clumped with sparse pine a spot fire had just started.

I came back in the house, quickly checked a map to be certain of the location and reference points, then called the fire in to the Wildfire centre. Within 1/2 an hour the local FD was on scene and hiking up the hill to the fire. An hour later they had the fire knocked down to a very faint orange glow and I could see flashlight/headlamps moving around the fire. Around 6am there was still a couple of firemen on scene mopping up.

In the light of the day, it is difficult to see where the fire was.

Great job dealing with it and I'm sure the two houses up hill and the small sub division nearby downhill appreciate the FD's work more than I.
Last edited by Topper on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology ... ve-6235113

This is why Harpo doesn't let scientists speak directly to the media whenever they feel like it...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology ... ve-6235113

This is why Harpo doesn't let scientists speak directly to the media whenever they feel like it...
I agree Doc if we gave people free speech they are liable to say anything!

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

This Tory silencing scientist story, I call bullshit.

The studies are done by a team of scientist, the team interprets the result. Not unusual that the team may have differing opinions on the interpretation but at the end of the discussion, the leader of the team, the one whose name and reputation goes first on the papers citation, will make the call on how the paper is written and what interpretation is used.That is why he is the lead author.

Unlike a panel of judges in a court hearing, scientific paper do not include dissenting opinions. Instead a junior wannabe gets their nose bent out of shape and runs off to the media crying that they have been silenced.

The accepted way to dissent is to write their own paper with their interpretation, put it out for peer reviewed, and published. It happens all the time with leading competing scientific views.

These crybabies taking their bent egos to the media without putting their ideas to the test of peer review ar nothing more than hacks and quacks.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Do you really believe that's what's happening for the most part - or that your example, while rare, is SO damaging that people whose opinions are recognized as legitimate by their peers should also be required so submit to this process?

Mark Bothwell is a famous example and he's a respected expert in his field, I don't see how it follows that he's unqualified to speak on it.

It just smacks of an attempt to control messaging right down to the smallest minutiae, which is absolutely typical of this government.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Rather than just crying to the media, go out and write your own peer reviewed interpretation. If you are working as part of a team on a study, you go buy what the team decides, taking your dissent to the media and claiming a grand conspiracy is foolish unless you can back your claims.

Look at the battles any leading scientific theory goes through with competing line of thought.

Jerks vs Creeps evolution battles are famous examples.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Do you really believe that's what's happening for the most part - or that your example, while rare, is SO damaging that people whose opinions are recognized as legitimate by their peers should also be required so submit to this process?

Mark Bothwell is a famous example and he's a respected expert in his field, I don't see how it follows that he's unqualified to speak on it.

It just smacks of an attempt to control messaging right down to the smallest minutiae, which is absolutely typical of this government.
This post belongs in the Conspiracy Theory thread!

*reports post to the CSE*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote: It just smacks of an attempt to control messaging right down to the smallest minutiae, which is absolutely typical of this government.
That's exactly it. Science goes against much of the ideological underpinnings of this government, be it resource development, environmental or social policy (hell, even government itself). It's better for the plan if everyone is ignorant. Facts just get in the way.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: I agree Doc if we gave people free speech they are liable to say anything!
We place limits upon freedom of speech here in the civilized world UK.

For example, we often place our "Jews are evil and running the world" folk in rubber rooms/jails. :wink:

Deal with it...
____
Try to focus on someday.