It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Mickey107 »

................Image

Look! Just look!

Why do people want Mr. Moore's production movie banned? 8-)
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:13 pm VIDEO

it's over one hour and forty minutes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Humans

I tend to get a little nervous when radical lefties talk about depopulating planet Earth. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Has anyone watched it? I just dont know if i can handle that whiney fuck for an entire 90 minutes without someone vouching for it
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:13 pm Has anyone watched it? I just dont know if i can handle that whiney fuck for an entire 90 minutes without someone vouching for it
Well most lefties absolutely HATE it... so I AM interested.

But yeahno. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Good news! :thumbs:
“President-elect Biden recently said, ‘I believe that we can own the 21st century car market again by moving to electric vehicles.’ We at General Motors couldn’t agree more,” Ms. Barra wrote in a letter Monday to leaders of some of the nation’s largest environmental groups.

She added, “we are immediately withdrawing from the pre-emption litigation and inviting other automakers to join us,” a signal to Toyota and Fiat-Chrysler, the other two major automakers that have sided with the Trump administration against California in the ongoing legal fight.

G.M.’s maneuvering was a public humiliation to Mr. Trump as he pursued his democracy-defying effort to subvert the will of the American electorate and claim another term. Ms. Barra gave no warning to the administration, but she did speak by telephone on Monday with Mary Nichols, California’s top climate regulator and an architect of the Obama-era fuel economy rules. Ms. Nichols is also a leading candidate to run the Environmental Protection Agency under Mr. Biden.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/clim ... nvironment
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If, as the proponents indicate, the root of our eco strife is over population, why are we going to such great lengths to fight a global cull?

Should we not embrace it and its it's lasting beneficial effect on mother earth?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 am If, as the proponents indicate, the root of our eco strife is over population, why are we going to such great lengths to fight a global cull?

Should we not embrace it and its it's lasting beneficial effect on mother earth?
Well, some twats think like that. They also typically feel those that should be culled are others. Preferrably poor peeople living far away.
Whereas I think that those who feel that way ought to volunteer.

I don't believe in those premises though.
I'm somewhat of a tech optimist.

Think about it.

If people were still living as hunter gatherers, the entire globe could only sustain a population of 100 million or less.

So what happened? As areas became overpopulated, agriculture was invented, and then husbandry.

With the introduction of farming, we left paradise - a hunter gatherer typically needs to spend one or two hours per day gathering the food necessary to feed the family, and the rest is leisure - but made it possible to have hundreds times more people living off the same area.

As populations continued to grow, excessive farming took its toll on the soil (some of the most arid areas today was where agriculture was invented), but we always found ways to fix the problems. Irrigation. Aqueducts. Terraced fields. Fertilizer.

One of the most over-populated and crowded areas on the planet, the Netherlands, are a net exporter of agricultural products.
Which shows you what you can do with the proper technology and knowhow.

Is there any real nature left in the Netherlands? No, probably not. A Swede or Canadian would probably feel ill at ease with the lack of wilderness.
The Dutch solve it by vacationing abroad and smoking lots of weed. They seem a genuinely happy people. :mex:

Really, if you look at it, Nort America, South America, Africa and Scandinavia are basically underpopulated imho. I would like to say Australia too, but it's mostly desert, and they have very little fresh water to go around. Yet, if you invest heavily in desalination plants along the coast, and then irrigate the interior, I'm sure you could fit a billion people in there too. :mex:

The only area that can qualify as overpopulated is a corridor stretching from Western Europe through Southern Europe, the Middle East, South Asia, SouthEast Asia, China and Japan.

Finite resources, someone will be bound to say. Sure. But you, as a geologist, and I, as an economist, both know that the listed resources that seem to be running out are just the ones we have found so far. As prices for a finite resource go up, more people invest in prospecting and more is found. Drill, baby, drill. We are also becoming better at recycling. I'm astonished that there are still underdeveloped countries that have landfills. Those are basically banned here. Pretty much everything is recycled.

There are certainly huge environmental problems facing us, but I see far better solutions available then genocide.

Pollution is one problem. There needs to be stricter legislation against all sorts of waste emissions, especially toxic ones. And all waste should be recycled if possible.

Widespread extermination of both animal and plant species needs to be stopped and when possible rolled back.
Chicken make up 80% of all birds in Europe. I like chicken, but that's excessive.
Looking at mammals it's even worse. The global biomass of mammals is now roughly 36% humans, 60% domesticated mammals and just 4% wild mammals. This despite some of the wild ones being blue whales and elephants...
Of course, a lot of this has to do with land usage, so this is where the size of the human population is a true drawback, but we just have to make sure we can coexist with what little wildlife there still is. And there are some success stories. The European bison was down to a few dozen living in zoos after WW2, but now there are some 7500 roaming the forests of Central Europe.

And of course, the main concern right now is climate change, but that one should be easily fixed by banning all use of fossil fuels. Piece of cake! :thumbs:

Granted, the climate change has already gone so far that there may also be a need to harvest CO2 from the atmosphere, bind it and bury it.
Or perhaps use it to carbonate beer? :drink:

Either way, as a tech optimist I'm certain we'll find solutions. We just need to get on top of it and start addressing the problems head on.
But it's happening. Even the conservative government in Britain is on the ball now, and have decided to ban sales of fossil fuel cars by 2030.
Sure, by then they'll be obsolete anyway, as the cost of driving an electric car is less than a fifth of the cost for gas, and electric cars need less maintenance as there are less moving parts, so consumer demand will drive this development automatically as soon as the production cost for the cars start dropping as they reach economies of scale.

And frankly, imho Sweden can probably benefit from a slightly warmer climate. Image
Not like Florida and Bangladesh that will be swallowed by the sea.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

GMO

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:51 amGMO
Absolutely! That’s one of the tools we need to use.
And now with the Crispr/Cas9 technology it gets even easier to create taylor made produce.
Like eg drought resistant crops with higher vitamin and mineral content.

GMO is a no-brainer for a tech optimist. :thumbs:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I come to this site to obtain political and history lessons not to talk hockey.

Some nights reading Docs/UK/Pers conversations is better than watching the Canucks 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 pm
And now with the Crispr/Cas9 technology it gets even easier to create taylor made produce.

Yet much of Europe still has issues with it.

Just saw this, looks a tad sensational in the Mikey Moore style
https://nationalpost.com/sponsored/life ... KwdDKXlock

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:16 pm

I know. A lot of environmentalists stupidly believe GMOs to be intrinsicly evil. Yet they happily accept new varities created through cross breeding or mutations, like that would be better.
Traditional means to create new plants are a lottery, with modern GMOs you can pinpoint the exact properties you want to change, and in what way. It is much safer and more reliable and could help end world hunger.
Also, by creating plants that are resistant to funghi or pests, you can reduce the use of fungicides and pesticides. :thumbs:
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Per wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:08 am
Topper wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 am If, as the proponents indicate, the root of our eco strife is over population, why are we going to such great lengths to fight a global cull?

Well, some twats think like that. They also typically feel those that should be culled are others. Preferrably poor peeople living far away.
Whereas I think that those who feel that way ought to volunteer.

I don't believe in those premises though.
I'm somewhat of a tech optimist.

Think about it.

If people were still living as hunter gatherers, the entire globe could only sustain a population of 100 million or less.

So what happened? As areas became overpopulated, agriculture was invented, and then husbandry.

With the introduction of farming, we left paradise - a hunter gatherer typically needs to spend one or two hours per day gathering the food necessary to feed the family, and the rest is leisure - but made it possible to have hundreds times more people living off the same area.

As populations continued to grow, excessive farming took its toll on the soil (some of the most arid areas today was where agriculture was invented), but we always found ways to fix the problems. Irrigation. Aqueducts. Terraced fields. Fertilizer.

One of the most over-populated and crowded areas on the planet, the Netherlands, are a net exporter of agricultural products.
Which shows you what you can do with the proper technology and knowhow.

Is there any real nature left in the Netherlands? No, probably not. A Swede or Canadian would probably feel ill at ease with the lack of wilderness.
The Dutch solve it by vacationing abroad and smoking lots of weed. They seem a genuinely happy people. :mex:

Really, if you look at it, Nort America, South America, Africa and Scandinavia are basically underpopulated imho. I would like to say Australia too, but it's mostly desert, and they have very little fresh water to go around. Yet, if you invest heavily in desalination plants along the coast, and then irrigate the interior, I'm sure you could fit a billion people in there too. :mex:

The only area that can qualify as overpopulated is a corridor stretching from Western Europe through Southern Europe, the Middle East, South Asia, SouthEast Asia, China and Japan.

Finite resources, someone will be bound to say. Sure. But you, as a geologist, and I, as an economist, both know that the listed resources that seem to be running out are just the ones we have found so far. As prices for a finite resource go up, more people invest in prospecting and more is found. Drill, baby, drill. We are also becoming better at recycling. I'm astonished that there are still underdeveloped countries that have landfills. Those are basically banned here. Pretty much everything is recycled.

There are certainly huge environmental problems facing us, but I see far better solutions available then genocide.

Pollution is one problem. There needs to be stricter legislation against all sorts of waste emissions, especially toxic ones. And all waste should be recycled if possible.

Widespread extermination of both animal and plant species needs to be stopped and when possible rolled back.
Chicken make up 80% of all birds in Europe. I like chicken, but that's excessive.
Looking at mammals it's even worse. The global biomass of mammals is now roughly 36% humans, 60% domesticated mammals and just 4% wild mammals. This despite some of the wild ones being blue whales and elephants...
Of course, a lot of this has to do with land usage, so this is where the size of the human population is a true drawback, but we just have to make sure we can coexist with what little wildlife there still is. And there are some success stories. The European bison was down to a few dozen living in zoos after WW2, but now there are some 7500 roaming the forests of Central Europe.

And of course, the main concern right now is climate change, but that one should be easily fixed by banning all use of fossil fuels. Piece of cake! :thumbs:

Granted, the climate change has already gone so far that there may also be a need to harvest CO2 from the atmosphere, bind it and bury it.
Or perhaps use it to carbonate beer? :drink:

Either way, as a tech optimist I'm certain we'll find solutions. We just need to get on top of it and start addressing the problems head on.
But it's happening. Even the conservative government in Britain is on the ball now, and have decided to ban sales of fossil fuel cars by 2030.
Sure, by then they'll be obsolete anyway, as the cost of driving an electric car is less than a fifth of the cost for gas, and electric cars need less maintenance as there are less moving parts, so consumer demand will drive this development automatically as soon as the production cost for the cars start dropping as they reach economies of scale.

And frankly, imho Sweden can probably benefit from a slightly warmer climate. Image
Not like Florida and Bangladesh that will be swallowed by the sea.
I think you are being way too optimistic. First off, climate change is inevitable - it is continually happening, with or without human input. Sure humans are accelerating it, and even affecting the way the climate is changing, but it is always changing. Hell, we had ice ages long before humans were on earth. I'm not advocating that we do nothing - electric cars, renewable energy, cutting pollution, etc., are all things we definitely need to do. Beyond that, we will just have to deal with it.

As for overpopulation, I'm not advocating eliminating a large portion of the population, but I do think that will take care of itself. Either war, famine, a very deadly pandemic, or similar event will keep the population under control. I think technology can mitigate some of the effects of overpopulation up to a point, but in the end, without any natural culling or war, there will just be too many people on this earth.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per, just read something on GMO. To be certified organic, including dairy, requires no GMO in the animals feed. Talk about a waste of agriculture.

Pig farm across the road from us when I was a kid had 45gal (200L) drums scattered through Vancouver stores and restaurants where all the wasted food and plate scrapings went. Farmer did a daily route collecting full drums and dropping off empty drums. The scrap food went into a large hopper and was cooked for hop feed.

Now that is a green process.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:26 pm
Topper wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:16 pm

I know. A lot of environmentalists stupidly believe GMOs to be intrinsicly evil. Yet they happily accept new varities created through cross breeding or mutations, like that would be better.
Traditional means to create new plants are a lottery, with modern GMOs you can pinpoint the exact properties you want to change, and in what way. It is much safer and more reliable and could help end world hunger.
Also, by creating plants that are resistant to funghi or pests, you can reduce the use of fungicides and pesticides. :thumbs:
I’ve been wondering if these new RNA covid vaccines like moderna will warm people up to GMO? This technology looks exciting for cancer treatments as well and that might be another reassurance that this isn’t the island of doctor Moreau