It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The good news is that fossil fuels are becoming obsolete as we speak, which means they will get phased out whether or not people worry about global warming. The alternatives are simply better in every way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 51916.html

Then again, there are still those that want to try to revive an obsolete industry.
Seriously... :roll:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

except cost to produce, service and replace

oh, and the environmental damage caused in their production
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:The good news is that fossil fuels are becoming obsolete as we speak, which means they will get phased out whether or not people worry about global warming. The alternatives are simply better in every way.

Then again, there are still those that want to try to revive an obsolete industry.
I believe solar power accounts for for just one percent of global electricity consumption.

That amount will likely decrease as we enter the predicted Maunder Minimum. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:except cost to produce, service and replace
No, that's the thing! 8-)

Up until recently solar power was not all that cost efficient, but in the past year the technology has improved by leaps and bounds, and solar is now cheaper than electricity produced from coal or even natural gas.

That's why even Qatar plans to have ar least 20% of their energy supplied by solar by 2030.

http://www.gulf-times.com/story/501761/ ... y-demand-b
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote:The good news is that fossil fuels are becoming obsolete as we speak, which means they will get phased out whether or not people worry about global warming. The alternatives are simply better in every way.

I believe solar power accounts for for just one percent of global electricity consumption.

That amount will likely decrease as we enter the predicted Maunder Minimum. :mrgreen:
Closer to 2%, but it has more or less doubled over the past year. Your figure was probably correct in 2015.
And the growth over the next decade should be exponential!

In Honduras it's already 12.5% and it's 7% in Germany.

It can never become the main source in Sweden, because we hardly have any sun in the winter, when our energy needs are at their peak, but closer to the equator it will probably be the main energy source twenty or thirty years from now.

Oil prices have dropped for quite some time now, and my guess is demand will keep falling.

Some people are predicting that it will be near impossible to sell petrol or diesel fueled vehicles ten years from now as electric will have better performance and be much cheaper.

I think this whole global warming thing will sort itself out.
But hopefully not before Sweden has a mediterranean climate... :look:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

But has solar panel manufacturing become any cleaner?

An old mine site not far from me has been converted to a solar farm and continues to struggle with costs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If we dont find a new planet soon there wont be anything left to save. The seething masses will consume and shit in everything until our extinction.

Population control or planet colonization is the only way humanity can survive. Recycling and green energy is all window dressing hiding the real issue...
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Uncle dans leg wrote:If we dont find a new planet soon there wont be anything left to save. The seething masses will consume and shit in everything until our extinction.

Population control or planet colonization is the only way humanity can survive. Recycling and green energy is all window dressing hiding the real issue...
The population is controlling itself. We reached Peak Birth in the mid nineties and birth rates have been dropping for the past twenty years. The population will still grow for another fifty years or so, because of better health care and longer life expectancy, but in the long run fewer births inevitally leads to a drop in population size.

It's possible we reach 10 billion before the population starts shrinking, but we probably never will be more than that. And considering that we today throw away 30% of all food that is produced, we only need to become more efficient in food distribution to feed everyone.

I'm not worried. Things will work out just fine, even if people living in very low lying places, like eg Florida, the Netherlands, Bangladesh and the Maldives, may have to relocate as the sea rises a meter or so.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

California producing more solar energy than consumers can consume...
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/c ... -negative/
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote: The good news is that fossil fuels are becoming obsolete as we speak, which means they will get phased out whether or not people worry about global warming. The alternatives are simply better in every way.

Closer to 2%, but it has more or less doubled over the past year. Your figure was probably correct in 2015.
And the growth over the next decade should be exponential!
Most of what I can find out there says your present numbers are wrong and your future predictions are cray.
Per wrote: Oil prices have dropped for quite some time now, and my guess is demand will keep falling.
Consumption of fossil fuels continues to increase globally.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/20 ... 64e828365f
Per wrote: Some people are predicting that it will be near impossible to sell petrol or diesel fueled vehicles ten years from now as electric will have better performance and be much cheaper.
Are these "people" living in rubber rooms by any chance? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:If we dont find a new planet soon there wont be anything left to save. The seething masses will consume and shit in everything until our extinction.

Well there won't be any new planets Danny... cough :lol: cough

... but if things remain the same, yes the global population will continue to grow.

And yup that means more fossil fuel will be consumed!

Some... people... are recommending less immigration and more walls.

But tell me, what are some of your proposals for "population control" Dan? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:

Well there won't be any new planets Danny... cough :lol: cough

... but if things remain the same, yes the global population will continue to grow.

And yup that means more fossil fuel will be consumed!

Some... people... are recommending less immigration and more walls.

But tell me, what are some of your proposals for "population control" Dan? :D
Being a creationist you should sympathize with my whole "spaceman fucked an ape" theory and the possibility that they will intervene in time to save the experiment...so don't discount that angle. Its about as believable as the middle eastern zombie carpenter theorists ;)

My personal solution to population control would be a little too wacked to share I'm sure but walling in the 2nd class humans and letting them starve/wipe themselves out is a perfectly acceptable solution I'm sure :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: my spaceman fucked an ape theory
It wouldn't surprise me if you are in fact half alien, half ape. :mrgreen:
Uncle dans leg wrote: the possibility that they will intervene in time to save the experiment
Did your great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandalien

... buy your great great great great great great great great great great great great grandapemother dinner first?

A drink? :look:
Uncle dans leg wrote: My personal solution to population control would be a little too wacked to share
Say it ain't so bro! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: my spaceman fucked an ape theory
It wouldn't surprise me if you are in fact half alien, half ape. :mrgreen:
I bet my imaginary sky friend is cooler than yours :lol:
Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: the possibility that they will intervene in time to save the experiment
Did your great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandalien

... buy your great great great great great great great great great great great great grandapemother dinner first?

A drink? :look:
I wonder if the aliens roofied mother mary before they ran a train on her up in the mothership or was the usual glowing finger tip enough
Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: My personal solution to population control would be a little too wacked to share
Say it ain't so bro! :lol:
:lol: ya man. The Leg has had some fucked up ideas over the years and this ones out there