It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Topper »

We've entered a mini ice age. As I have said throughout this thread, cosmic and geological forces will out do any human forces.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-co ... s-prepared
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CALLED IT!!

Maunder Minimum...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/arcti ... -1.3910765
Ocean buoys recorded temperatures near the North Pole of 0 C or warmer. That's right: It's warmer in the Arctic than it is in Thunder Bay, Ont.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:We've entered a mini ice age. As I have said throughout this thread, cosmic and geological forces will out do any human forces.

So why is there no snow this xmas, and why are temperatures in the Arctic 20 degrees warmer than expected this winter? :eh:

I expect my grapevines to continue thriving.
Might even make a new attempt with a peach tree. 8-)

Climate change FTW! :thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote:
Topper wrote:We've entered a mini ice age. As I have said throughout this thread, cosmic and geological forces will out do any human forces.

So why is there no snow this xmas, and why are temperatures in the Arctic 20 degrees warmer than expected this winter? :eh:

I expect my grapevines to continue thriving.
Might even make a new attempt with a peach tree. 8-)

Climate change FTW! :thumbs:
People in the oil and related industry will do anything to justify their position that there is no climate change.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Meanwhile, I'm getting an Outlander PHEV.

Several European countries (and California) are talking about phasing out fossil fuels by 2030.
I want to be prepared when they start taxing the hell out of gas.

The PHEV can go about 50 km on electricity, which should cover most of our day to day travel, but for longer journeys you still have the gas tank, so you don't get stuck up shit creek without a paddle.

And unlike a prius it has a towing hitch. It's a real car, but smarter.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

massive amounts of California electricity supply is coal generated in New Mexico.

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote:Meanwhile, I'm getting an Outlander PHEV.

Several European countries (and California) are talking about phasing out fossil fuels by 2030.

The PHEV can go about 50 km on electricity, which should cover most of our day to day travel, but for longer journeys you still have the gas tank, so you don't get stuck up shit creek without a paddle.

And unlike a prius it has a towing hitch. It's a real car, but smarter.
I don't like the "metric" system, so I will not speak it, but;
The 1969 Camaro cannot go on electricity but the 250 watt sound system uses it's share.
The 427 cubic inch fossil fuel engine gets almost 7 miles per gallon in the city and a much more economical 13 on the highway. It has about 565 what they call, horse power. It has a 4 gear manual shift transmission so that can help, if you want it to.
The best thing is, it is classified a vintage vehicle and doesn't need to have any hindering, silly emission control devises attached to it. Smells really nice too, burning that 94 octane gas. It doesn't even have an onboard computer! (they don't know where I am).
It does make a lot of noise but for some reason, most seem to like that.
The rear window is too slanted for a gun rack but that's OK because my pick-up truck is fine for that.
It has a much more modest 383 cubic inch engine but with the extended cab, makes a nice family vehicle,
especially since they cancelled the mandatory vehicle emission testing in British Columbia, I was able to take the catalytic converters and some other ridiculous items off. Now even it runs much better.
Now that is progress. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Well, Micky, with European fuel prices, you'd start thinking like me.

http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel- ... GGBFHR86hA

The average is just EUR 1.19 per litre, which translates to roughly CAD 1.68.
But that includes silly cheap gas in hell holes like Azerbaijzhan and Belarus.

In Norway they charge EUR 1.74 per litre (CAD 2.68)
In Holland it's 1.65 (CAD 2.33)
In Italy it's 1.63 (CAD 2.30)
In Sweden it's 1.40 (CAD 1.98)
In the UK it's 1.36 (CAD 1.92)

I know that gas is ridiculously cheap in North America, but with European gas prices fuel economy and/or alternatives to fossil fuels becomes very interesting. 25% of new cars sold in Norway are electric.

Also, electricity is cheap in Sweden, so the 50 kms I get from the battery will cost close to nothing.
Meanwhile it's not a dinky prius but a 4WD SUV with a towing hitch and Fosgate stereo.
Best of both worlds! 8-)
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote:Well, Micky, with European fuel prices, you'd start thinking like me.

I know that gas is ridiculously cheap in North America, but with European gas prices fuel economy and/or alternatives to fossil fuels becomes very interesting. 25% of new cars sold in Norway are electric.

Also, electricity is cheap in Sweden, so the 50 kms I get from the battery will cost close to nothing.
Meanwhile it's not a dinky prius but a 4WD SUV with a towing hitch and Fosgate stereo.
Best of both worlds! 8-)
Your a hard person to joke around with ;)
But; Where are electric powered vehicles charged? At a depot or at home. It takes a great deal of electricity.
How is that electricity produced?
Some say, and you can Google a ton of opinions, that electric vehicles end up polluting more, go figure.

And then there is the problem of disposal when these batteries, (lithium in some cases), are worn out.
Apparently, some countries are putting them in the ground because recycling is more money, mmmm.

At the end of the day, I was commenting on how much fun it is to drive a muscle car... 8-)
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Your a hard person to joke around with ;)
But; Where are electric powered vehicles charged? At a depot or at home. It takes a great deal of electricity.
How is that electricity produced?
Some say, and you can Google a ton of opinions, that electric vehicles end up polluting more, go figure.

And then there is the problem of disposal when these batteries, (lithium in some cases), are worn out.
Apparently, some countries are putting them in the ground because recycling is more money, mmmm.

At the end of the day, I was commenting on how much fun it is to drive a muscle car... 8-)
This car can be charged by a normal 10A power outlet at home. It takes roughly five hours for the battery to be fully charged, and the charger switches off when it's done. So basically, if you plug it in whenever you get home, you should always have that battery fully charged whenyou leave home in the morning. And we already have an outdoor outlet since you tend to need a block heater for your car engine in the winter in Sweden.
You can also "fast charge" it in some places, which will ger it 80% charged in half an hour, but then you need a special cable which is not included.

How it's produced? In 2015 47% of Sweden's electricity came from hydropower, 34% from nuclear power, 10% from wind turbines and 9% from CHP, mainly a byproduct of the district heating that heats most Swedish home. These basically use two main types of fuel; garbage or biofuel. We don't use landfills anymore. Most stuff is recycled, and the garbage that remains is burnt to generate heat for district heating. In that process you also get some turbines going, so you get some electricity on the side. Some of the CHP is also from industrial plants, mainly in forestry. When I worked at the pulp mill we burnt bark to power the factory, and sold the excess electricity over the grid.
But sure, if you use coal to produce electricity,which btw isn't very efficient, electric cars probably don't help the environment much.

Btw, I checked the specs, and the sound system in this car is a sweet 710 W! :rockin:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products ... -outlander
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I like mickys car better... much better
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per: 710 Watts? Holy crap! That's a lot.
Please tell me your not one of these hip-hop, rap guys with 4-12 inch bass speakers.
If you go parking somewhere with your sweetie, your going to have to start it every two minutes to charge it up again. ;)
Actually, my son and I found some really good Swedish bands.
One of them is like a throw-back to Kiss with the Make-up but with a really unique and talented repertoire.
The name is Ghost. Check it out..
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote:Well, Micky, with European fuel prices, you'd start thinking like me.

Best of both worlds! 8-)
taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes,

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes,
---
taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes,
Yup. Hence my earler statement:
Per wrote: Meanwhile, I'm getting an Outlander PHEV.