It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Aaronp18 »

I like the Airmiles.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:58 pm I like the Airmiles.
I used to like the Airmiles.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:21 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:58 pm I like the Airmiles.
I used to like the Airmiles.
Yeah they’re dying a slow death right now. Hard to find places that still give you them!

Actually like our TD Rewards much better at this point.

Old cars like micks there have to run higher octane low ethanol, especially if the fuels lines haven’t been upgraded. Ethanol can eat away at the seals of older car fuels lines!

Don’t have American muscle like that but have a couple projects on the go and it’s harder to find the right fuel for them.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ran to the big smoke a week ago for the kid's Dr appointment. Hope-Princton is a fucking ghost town of a highway now with only essential traffic. No checkpoint on the way west, blew by the one on the way east as I stayed in the truck lane. A couple of slow to 50 construction zones, but otherwise a steady cruise.

Tossed a couple of Jerry cans in the back of the truck to ease you folks burden. Did anyone ask the southern resident whales about barging fuel from Washington?

Hwy 7 was a fucking crawl bumper to bumper 2.5 hrs to Abbotsford. Had to go to Abby to check on some truck parts I've ordered. Fortunately Hwy 1 was reopened all the way to Hope for the return trip.

I've really grown to hate trips to Vancouver now.

Stayed at a cheap and best in Ditchmond, How do you understand someone saying "herrow" when they are wearing a mask.

If hungry in Ditchmond, find Lamajoun. Hole in the wall family run middle eastern cafe in the heart of an industrial complex near the river. FUCKING AWESOME FOOD!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

As the globe is getting warmer, extreme weather events are becoming increasingly common.

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:50 am As the globe is getting warmer, extreme weather events are becoming increasingly common.

Is it Per?

Is there a 100 year or better yet 1,000 years of data to back this up? I am curious because people keep saying this and that is linked to climate change yet 100 years ago and 500 years ago and 1,000 years ago we had tornados, flooding etc. I understand that what they are saying is that it is happening more often now than in the past, but I want to see the math.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2Fingers wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:08 am
Per wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:50 am As the globe is getting warmer, extreme weather events are becoming increasingly common.

Is it Per?

Is there a 100 year or better yet 1,000 years of data to back this up? I am curious because people keep saying this and that is linked to climate change yet 100 years ago and 500 years ago and 1,000 years ago we had tornados, flooding etc. I understand that what they are saying is that it is happening more often now than in the past, but I want to see the math.
It’s similar to vaccine reactions and case counts etc. We’re tracking the shit out of it and shotgunning it all over the news, and the shortsighted nature of humanity operates in both directions (forward and back) so we tend to think that what we here now is new and breaking. Since we’ve never had global communication and instant reporting like we do today we automatically assume that the frequency of these events is unsurpassed in our history. Even in the past 60 years there have been hundreds of significant events that went unreported to the masses because there was no way to deliver the info to such a massive audience. Now the news is in your pocket all the time if you want it.

War, famine, flood, earthquakes…..all of these biblical events are not new, after all, there’s nothing new under the sun.

Or to quote the Cylons….. All of this has happened before and will happen again.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:53 pm
War, famine, flood, earthquakes…..all of these biblical events are not new, after all, there’s nothing new under the sun.

Or to quote the Cylons….. All of this has happened before and will happen again.
Pretty much, why do people think river basins are called flood plains?

The fact that some choose to build a house on this flood plain is eventually going to pose a problem.

This is simply one example. Really as I've said before it's just humanity's arrogance that we feel we can alter our environment to suit our needs without eventual repercussions.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:20 pm

The fact that some choose to build a house on this flood plain is eventually going to pose a problem.

This is simply one example. Really as I've said before it's just humanity's arrogance that we feel we can alter our environment to suit our needs without eventual repercussions.
and because there is more development in risky areas, damage is amplified.

can our species control a K-T boundary event?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:31 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:20 pm

and because there is more development in risky areas, damage is amplified.

can our species control a K-T boundary event?
The movies say we can!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

2Fingers wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:08 am

[youtube]BBC[youtube]
Is it Per?

You can see a pretty good trend here, even if this is just the last 70 years:
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/societal-impacts/tornadoes/

But it is really just pretty simple physics. A warmer climate leads to higher sea temperatures in the Mexican Gulf which feeds the storms that turn into tornadoes. Warmer sea water leads to more frequent and more ferocious storms.Just do the math.

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Need some more aerosol I think!

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Lol...nice run of bitter cold.

White Christmas at least.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:32 pm Lol...nice run of bitter cold.

White Christmas at least.
Tis, we have a fair bit of snow already so it'll definitely stay!

Thank goodness for autostart, heated seats and a heated steering wheel.