It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Topper »

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-env ... south-pole

They lasted 30 days before they ran out of power due to snow storms in the Antarctic summer.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Wow! Look at that thing!
I don't assume Dutch people know the first thing about driving in snow.

I guess any Canadian or Swede could have told them that wheels are a no-no when going off road.
They should have used a tracked vehicle, like a snowmobile or something.

Wheels with studs or chains may work on ice, but you'll get stuck in snow drifts.
If you stick to the roads, sure, it might work, if they've been ploughed, but I don't think there's a lot of roads on Antarctica.
Nor snow ploughs. :look:

I'm not sure those flimsy snow chains (if that is what it is?) would even suffice to go to a Swedish ski resort.... :lol:

Reminds me of that stupid twit who thought he could use horses to get to the South Pole...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 pm Wow! Look at that thing!

I guess any Canadian or Swede could have told them that wheels are a no-no when going off road.

Wheels with studs or chains may work on ice, but you'll get stuck in snow drifts.
If you stick to the roads, sure, it might work, if they've been ploughed, but I don't think there's a lot of roads on Antarctica.

I'm not sure those flimsy snow chains (if that is what it is?) would even suffice to go to a Swedish ski resort.... :lol:

Reminds me of that stupid twit who thought he could use horses to get to the South Pole...
Hook up some antlers, put a red high powered halogen light and you will have no problem.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 pm Wow! Look at that thing!

Solar driving tracks....lol

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Serious heatwave in Australia. Victoria and South Australia have had four straight days of temperatures above 40C.
Typically January is the hottest month of the year, so this is a tad early.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:12 pm Serious heatwave in Australia. Victoria and South Australia have had four straight days of temperatures above 40C.
Typically January is the hottest month of the year, so this is a tad early.
record in 2013, Strange Weather.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Here's Bill Nye, the science guy, with some great news:

"Climate change deniers - and the President fits right in - are almost exclusively old people, people as old as I or older, and they are going to age out, or, what we call, die."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bill Nye......lol

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Bill Nye is not a scientist, but he plays one on TV, hopefully he "dies off" soon...
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm Bill Nye is not a scientist, but he plays one on TV, hopefully he "dies off" soon...
So William Conrad wasn’t a detective????
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:08 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm Bill Nye is not a scientist, but he plays one on TV, hopefully he "dies off" soon...
So William Conrad wasn’t a detective????
In real life William Conrad was a fighter pilot.

In real life Bill Nye was a comedian.

I shit you not!

Fun facts....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

This article outlines many of the reasons I don't buy into the current save the Earth/climate change hype.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/terenc ... mainstream
The bigger problem with “evidence” of a new epoch is that — even if the Anthropocene has begun — barely 75 years isn’t enough to justify its existence in the context of a four-billion-year-old planet. Vaclav Smil, emeritus professor at the University of Manitoba and one of the world’s great thinkers on the state of the planet, says that while humans are changing the Earth, there is little reason to conclude that we are a force as great or greater than nature.

As he wrote in 2015, solar activity, the planet’s shape, rotation and tilt, the eccentricity of its orbital path and the circulation of its atmosphere are all beyond human interference. “Nor can we ever hope to control the enormous terraforming processes, the Earth’s plate tectonics driven by internal heat and resulting in slow but constant creation of new ocean floor, forming, reshaping, and elevating landmasses whose distributions and altitudes are key determinants of climate variability and habitability.”

Nature remains in charge and it’s too soon to declare the Anthropocene, said Smil. “Let us wait before we determine that our mark on the planet is anything more than a modest microlayer in the geologic record.”

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:20 am This article outlines many of the reasons I don't buy into the current save the Earth/climate change hype.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/terenc ... mainstream
The bigger problem with “evidence” of a new epoch is that — even if the Anthropocene has begun — barely 75 years isn’t enough to justify its existence in the context of a four-billion-year-old planet. Vaclav Smil, emeritus professor at the University of Manitoba and one of the world’s great thinkers on the state of the planet, says that while humans are changing the Earth, there is little reason to conclude that we are a force as great or greater than nature.

As he wrote in 2015, solar activity, the planet’s shape, rotation and tilt, the eccentricity of its orbital path and the circulation of its atmosphere are all beyond human interference. “Nor can we ever hope to control the enormous terraforming processes, the Earth’s plate tectonics driven by internal heat and resulting in slow but constant creation of new ocean floor, forming, reshaping, and elevating landmasses whose distributions and altitudes are key determinants of climate variability and habitability.”

Nature remains in charge and it’s too soon to declare the Anthropocene, said Smil. “Let us wait before we determine that our mark on the planet is anything more than a modest microlayer in the geologic record.”
I get where you come from. As a geologist, your frame of reference renders humanity insignificant. If we picture the time since the big bang up till today as a 23 meter rope, the first humans appear less than 1 mm from the end of the rope. You deal with epochs that span millions of years, or even hundreds of millions of years, and modern humans have only been around for roughly 200,000 years.

Yet we seem like a bacterial infection to the planet. We've gone from a couple of hundred thousand people in the early stone age to 600 million at the time America was colonized to some 7 billion people today. It's an exponential growth and it has lead to drastic changes to the nature of this planet. Mainly in the shape of deforestation and desertification, but also by releasing enormous amounts of carbon from the ground into the air.

Here's an article on a recent study that shows we may have influenced the climate earlier than previously thought:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47063973

That being said, the Earth was far warmer, and CO2 levels higher when the dinosaurs roamed.
Global warming will not destroy the planet, it will only make vast areas uninhabitable for humans. And corals, I guess.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:47 am That being said, the Earth was far warmer, and CO2 levels higher when the dinosaurs roamed.
Global warming will not destroy the planet, it will only make vast areas uninhabitable for humans. And corals, I guess.
Yes climate change is not a new factor, it has been in existence as long as the Earth itself. Earth started out as a reducing environment, it was only with the advent of abundant marine life moving to the terrestrial world that the environment changed to our current oxidizing environment. We still have reducing species alive on Earth, primarily around seafloor vents spewing sulphide minerals. Interestingly, at a lead-zinc deposit in Ireland there may be fossil tube worms within the sulphide ore minerals. The evidence is debatable though. Then there are the several mass extinctions that we have found in the fossil record. Note the Chicxulub crater was only discovered in 1978.

I also discount the role of our species compared to geologic and cosmic forces. Many of those we still don't understand. Plate tectonics only started to be recognized in the 1940's. Humans are still only grasping at cosmic events and forces impacting our environment. Those trying to reverse the patterns they see in our weather/climate seem to discount these forces.

So much of the hysteria is based upon last weeks weather event with few looking at climate that I often wonder if anyone knows the difference between weather and climate. The region I live in suffered a 1 in 200 year flood event last Spring. The climate change fanatics are saying it will now be an annual event and likely getting worse. It is laughable. So much of the hiseria is based upon such a short time frame of suspect data.

Things like Polar icecaps are only a recent phenomenon in Earths history and they redirected wind patterns to a more E-W direction that we currently see instead of the historically dominant N-S patterns.

On a more recent scale, we have endured a massive pine beetle kill through the forests of central BC. That area has since seen massive forest fires because of the fuel load. A friend has a story of when he did range work for the provincial government in that area and spoke with elderly Indian who commented the area was grassland when he was younger. The pine forests isn't that old.

Oh, and corals will likely be fine, they are survivors. They may not endure in their present locals, but they have been around in various forms for over 500 million years.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Good response Top,

As an average Joe, I am more concerned about the pollution from cars and industry, not on the impact on the earth but just the air we breath. I think we can all agree that breathing in this type of pollution is not the best thing for us.