It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:03 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:15 pm Well that is all nice and dandy but until China/USA/India and Russia decide to the do the same Norway's contribution means didley in the world of climate change. Now it would be interesting to calculate Norway's pollution when they take into account the amount of goods that they purchase from China/USA/India and Russia.

I would like to see Weaver fly to Beijing with some of his friends and protest how much pollution China is doing and at the same time Weaver cannot have anything on him that was made in China.
not much hope regarding the US (well, apart from California) or Russia at the moment, but China, while remaining the world's greatest source of pollution, has taken serious steps in recent years to address the problems. I think realizing that breathing air in some of China's major cities is a serious health hazard has served as a wake up call.

China is now world leading in solar energy...
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2018082 ... lar-energy

... and electric vehicles.
https://interestingengineering.com/chin ... cle-market

They still get two thirds of their energy from coal, so it's pretty bad, but they are investing heavily in renewables, and those are the energy sources that are showing the greatest growth. And the efforts they put into developing the technology of both solar energy and electric vehicles will benefit us all in the long run.
China at this point does not give a rats tootoo about climate change unless they can make a profit from it. Smog in a city, yes that they care about but the solar energy has more to do with meeting the significant increase in their energy needs. It is cheaper and quick for them to knock down a town or 2 and build a solar panel array vs. building a nuclear reactor.

I am all for building renewable energy systems and cleaning the air but it is laughable when I see the local politicians talk about reducing their pollution contribution. All they have done is move their pollution to another country and they have not reduce the world's total pollution contribution.

Is there any report on the pollution/environment impact of building, maintaining and the disposing of solar panels? Or how much pollution was created when they built an electric car vs. a gas powered car taking into account the total including the frame of the vehicle, tires etc?

I am glad Canada is taking a lead but it will start having a significant impact on the countries GDP, it is easy for a country or province, or city that does not rely on natural resources to want renewable energy.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ImageImage
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

... and the GoP goes ...

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A year ago we suffered a 1 in 200 year flood event in our area. This year we are at a near record low for snowpack.

That is the way it is with weather.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:13 am A year ago we suffered a 1 in 200 year flood event in our area. This year we are at a near record low for snowpack.

That is the way it is with weather.
Absolutely. The problem is the atmosphere has become far more volatile, so we experience more extreme weather more often. I bet you will see another 200 year flood within a decade.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

We are also overdue for a "super vulcano".
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

micky107 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:56 am We are also overdue for a "super vulcano".
Yellowstone
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

rats19 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:59 am
micky107 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:56 am We are also overdue for a "super vulcano".
Yellowstone
Possibly. My vote would go to the Mediterranean region.
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

micky107 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:29 am
Yellowstone
Mine too of course....but Yellowstone apparently will be bad... so bad
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

we're also overdue for a polar reversal.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Yellowstone
There's a new theory that a supervulcano killed of the neanderthals. They were never that many and all live in Europe. There was a supervulcano eruption that fits in well with their disappearing, that covered most of central and eastern Europe with ash, that would have killed of nearly all vegetation, and thus rendered the area inhospitable for decades. We know there was a last remnant of neanderthals living in coastal caves in southern Spain. They would not have been as affected by the ash, and could have survived on fish. But they were then an isolated group and either died out or merged with the new modern humans arriving from Africa.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094057.htm
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:47 pm
Yellowstone
There's a new theory that a supervulcano killed of the neanderthals. They were never that many and all live in Europe. There was a supervulcano eruption that fits in well with their disappearing, that covered most of central and eastern Europe with ash, that would have killed of nearly all vegetation, and thus rendered the area inhospitable for decades. We know there was a last remnant of neanderthals living in coastal caves in southern Spain. They would not have been as affected by the ash, and could have survived on fish. But they were then an isolated group and either died out or merged with the new modern humans arriving from Africa.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094057.htm
add in the recent discovery of meteor impact craters below the Greenland ice sheet, possibly ~13,000 year old, and you must agree that human efforts compared to geologic and cosmic forces, are futile.

A species in stasis with vain attempts to control its environment to remain in stasis.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 pm we're also overdue for a polar reversal.
We're also overdue for a nuclear winter.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 pm
Topper wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 pm we're also overdue for a polar reversal.
We're also overdue for a nuclear winter.
That's what Slim said.
"evolution"