Eye Reedz (book thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Eye Reedz (book thread)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Got this beauty Fred Herzog book from wifey for Christmas.

https://store.thepolygon.ca/products/fr ... dern-color
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:53 am Got this beauty Fred Herzog book from wifey for Christmas.

^ looks like a good one! Is it mostly Vancouver shots?

Edit: Got it from Amazon - great book! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Megs, you should check out this book. ^
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:13 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:53 am Got this beauty Fred Herzog book from wifey for Christmas.

^ looks like a good one! Is it mostly Vancouver shots?

Edit: Got it from Amazon - great book! :D
It’s a great book! 95% Vancouver. Another one I want to get is Greg Under Vancouver, similar to Herzog

https://shop.vanspecial.com/products/un ... reg-girard
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

That looks like a good one - the next step in Vancouver's history.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:07 am That looks like a good one - the next step in Vancouver's history.
Favourite photo from Herzog book is the dude hailing a cab all bandaged up in the DTES, that photo says it all about the kind of people I was exposed to as a kid down there. Absolute characters.

https://images.app.goo.gl/a7A5quHzffr955Q37
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Too many to choose from - but that is a standout image. Great write-ups in the book as well.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 am Too many to choose from - but that is a standout image. Great write-ups in the book as well.
I love the look of the old lady giving the dude the stink eye. Looked like it was just another day at the office for bandaged up dude, lol. Funny listening to my Dad talk about the characters back then and how fighting down there back then was considered sport unlike today. There was a period there back when my Dad was working down there working for his old man when his Dad owned it, I recall there were always welts and bandages on the old man’s face at the dinner table.

Before it became the 5 (stripper bar) the nickname of the bar was “The Bucket of Blood” it was where street fighters went to work on their craft. It wasn’t MMA wrestling shit either, no weapons, just put up your dukes and swing. Although somebody tried to kill my Dad once with a knife in washroom there, anyone remember the urinal trough there? The guy attacked him while he was pissing in the urinal, they fought for a good while at the urinal but the dude was big and strong, the old man was near ready to give up after a long fight when a co-worker came in at the right time just before the knife was to go in