Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:Ya'll outta try the Indian/Navajo Taco one time
All my times in northern bars, I've never been that drunk.
Mmmmmmm canoes.....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've gotten back into some good home cooking. My son is taking cooking lessons again and he's been talking about some of the stuff we did last year. It's got me going back to it and putting our own touches.

He made fresh pasta and wanted to do it again. Monday dinner was fresh squid ink papardelle, putanesca sauce and pork ribs. Fresh pasta is so easy, 1 egg, 1 cup flour, combine, add water if its not coming all together, roll out in a pasta roller, use a sharp knife to cut papardelle. Putanesca was roasted cherry tomato, sun dried black olive, anchovy and pesto. Ribs were a dry rub of herbs and a bit of liquid smoke, wrapped tight in foil, 350F oven for 2hrs, open the foil and put under the broiler for 5-10 minutes.

Tuesday he told me his buddies have a regular pizza night at their house. I've had the kid's father tell me in great detail which aisle and shelf he gets his favourite frozen pizza at Walmart. Uhhhg. Son and I made dough, topped with tomato sauce (friends with greenhouses gave us a case of tomatoes the other day so I made sauce), pears, Gorgonzola, fennel, pancetta and walnuts.

Last night we over at friends and they reminded me (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) of the chocolate-habanero creme brule I had once made for them. I guess they'd like another dinner invite.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Ever do goose Topper? Any tips?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If you are roasting, do it like any other bird but poke the hell out of the skin, as you would duck, so the fat can run out and have a deep pan under the bird to collect the fat. Remember that while chicken needs to be well done, all other poultry should be medium rare.

Save the fat and strain it then refrigerate. Use it for roasting potatoes.
Last edited by Topper on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Thanks.

The thought of potatoes roasted in duck or goose fat had me salivating instantaneously.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:Thanks.

The thought of potatoes roasted in duck or goose fat had me salivating instantaneously.
Slice some new baby potatos in 1/2 or 1/4's, heat a dollop of duck/goose fat in a fry pan on high heat, toss in the spuds and toss a couple of times to coat, season with salt and pepper and then finish in a 400F oven.

You may want to turn them a couple of times to brown evenly.

I'd season the goose with fresh rosemary and dried juniper berries.

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote: Tuesday he told me his buddies have a regular pizza night at their house. I've had the kid's father tell me in great detail which aisle and shelf he gets his favourite frozen pizza at Walmart. Uhhhg. Son and I made dough, topped with tomato sauce (friends with greenhouses gave us a case of tomatoes the other day so I made sauce), pears, Gorgonzola, fennel, pancetta and walnuts.
Sounds great.

Dough recipe?

Do you cook yours on a sheet pan or baking stone?

A similar sweet and savory pizza that I've made before was with figs, prosciutto, walnuts, and fresh torn mozzarella...finished with fresh arugula, and a very small drizzle of honey and reduced balsamic.

But when push comes to shove for me there is no better pizza on earth than a simple margherita with buffalo mozzarella.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

How is it you always show up when food is being discussed?
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Topper wrote: Tuesday he told me his buddies have a regular pizza night at their house. I've had the kid's father tell me in great detail which aisle and shelf he gets his favourite frozen pizza at Walmart. Uhhhg. Son and I made dough, topped with tomato sauce (friends with greenhouses gave us a case of tomatoes the other day so I made sauce), pears, Gorgonzola, fennel, pancetta and walnuts.
Sounds great.

Dough recipe?
I wing it with a psuedo bagette recipe, flour, yeast, salt, water, let rise, punch down, shape, top, bake
KeyserSoze wrote:Do you cook yours on a sheet pan or baking stone?
One of these days I'll hit a tile shop and pick up an unglazed slab, but until then, its on a pan dusted with corn meal.
KeyserSoze wrote:A similar sweet and savory pizza that I've made before was with figs, prosciutto, walnuts, and fresh torn mozzarella...finished with fresh arugula, and a very small drizzle of honey and reduced balsamic.
Sounds good
KeyserSoze wrote:But when push comes to shove for me there is no better pizza on earth than a simple margherita with buffalo mozzarella.
Our go to is Italian sausage, anchovy, olive, fresh tomato and basil

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hey Beardo . I would like to grill a nice sirloin tip roast on the BBQ . Tips please. It's about four pounds
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Dry rub, high heat (~400F), 1 hour, lid closed.

Just like an oven.

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

No garlic ??? I have cooked them straight on the grate but am curious if a roasting tin foil pan may work better
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

You could put garlic in the rub or you could shove half cloves into the roast.

I'd skip the pan, maybe turn it 1/2 way through, and don't forget to let it rest ~15minutes after cooking.

Put stilton in the gravy.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last night friends did a rib roast as some TV chef did it. Seasoned, in a roasting pan and a 500F oven for 22 minutes.

Funny, they always wait till I'm there ask ask if they are doing it right. I just refill my wine glass and say it's not my recipe.

The roast was way under done at 22 minutes, back in for another 10-15 and was perfect except the deep roasting pan did not allow any browning and because it was not on a rack, the bottom steamed instead of roasting.

After dinner they asked if I would do anything different and I mentioned I'd use a sheet pan and a rack.

Oh, Goats Do Roam from South Africa is a nice red (~$15 BCLB) in a Cotes de Rhone style.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It would be interesting to take a looksee into Toppers heart valves and current state of with all the rich red meat fine eatins he is gorging himself on.

Topper you should go fruitarian for a while.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau