Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by rats19 »

What....no oatmeal :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I used some in the shepherd's pie I made the other night. Used oatmeal to fatten up the shepherd for slaughter.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Topper wrote:Get pan hot, get oil hot, add dry food.........always, with few exceptions (mushrooms and fish).
This is interesting, do you mind elaborating on the exceptions?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

'shrooms - screaming hot dry pan, add the 'shrooms, toss with salt, lots of salt for 'shrooms. This lets the 'shrooms shed their water and concentrate their flavour. When they start to brown, turn down the heat and add oil.

"shrooms were weird at school, we were taught never to wash them, only brush them off, because they'll absorb water. They we're taught to dehydrate them in a hot pan for flavour............Some asshole pointed out to an instructor one day that if we're going to dehydrate them in a hot pan, what does it matter if they absorb a bit more water...... :look:

For fish and steaks I prefer drying them on paper towel and then seasoning the fish/meat them a skiff of oil on the fish/meat then into the pan.

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper, you got any ideas for awesome hot wings in the oven?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

In a bowl, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, panco, corn meal, thyme, rosemary, salt pepper. Toss the wings in that to coat and put them on a rack over a sheet pan, cook at 375F till done.

Stove top in a small pot, ginger threads, sliced garlic, your favourite hot sauce and or chilli flakes, rice wine vinegar, mirin, soy sauce. Probably 70% of whats in the pot is rice wine vinegar and mirin. Cook over medium heat to reduce to a syrup. Taste and adjust the heat accordingly.

Put the cooked wings in a large bowl, toss with the syrup to coat and then back in the oven under the broiler until they just start to blacken.

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Awesome, thanks man.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

when I win the lottery Friday ($60M) I am hiring you as my personal chief.

Thanks for the all recipes and advice, may try the hot wings this weekend and wash it down with some beer.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Reefer2 wrote:when I win the lottery Friday ($60M) I am hiring you as my personal chief.

Thanks for the all recipes and advice, may try the hot wings this weekend and wash it down with some beer.
Skyo is already his personal chief.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

:lol: :lol:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:when I win the lottery Friday ($60M) I am hiring you as my personal chief.

If it wasn't for us Scots, Skyo wouldn't even be eating bannock.

Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Topper wrote:'shrooms - screaming hot dry pan, add the 'shrooms, toss with salt, lots of salt for 'shrooms. This lets the 'shrooms shed their water and concentrate their flavour. When they start to brown, turn down the heat and add oil.

"shrooms were weird at school, we were taught never to wash them, only brush them off, because they'll absorb water. They we're taught to dehydrate them in a hot pan for flavour............Some asshole pointed out to an instructor one day that if we're going to dehydrate them in a hot pan, what does it matter if they absorb a bit more water...... :look:
Thanks, Top. About the absorption, I seem to recall some chef weighing some mushrooms, washing them, then weighing them again to see how much water was really absorbed. The answer was that it was negligible, at least for your standard (button, crimini) mushroom, anyway. I suspect oyster and chanterelles could be much worse.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Puck wrote:
Topper wrote:'shrooms - screaming hot dry pan, add the 'shrooms, toss with salt, lots of salt for 'shrooms. This lets the 'shrooms shed their water and concentrate their flavour. When they start to brown, turn down the heat and add oil.

Thanks, Top. About the absorption, I seem to recall some chef weighing some mushrooms, washing them, then weighing them again to see how much water was really absorbed. The answer was that it was negligible, at least for your standard (button, crimini) mushroom, anyway. I suspect oyster and chanterelles could be much worse.
.......and then you cook them at high heat to dehydrate them. I don't understand why washing is supposedly bad. Though chanterelles and similar are likely to delicate to take much handling.

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

If it wasn't for us Scots, Skyo wouldn't even be eating bannock.
Well played, ever try the famous indian taco's?

So awesome.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hey Tops, any recommendation for a whetstone? I did some window shopping and it looks like it'll cost me around $60-80 for a two-sided stone plus another $40 for a truing stone. I was hoping for something a bit more cheap and cheerful but found the whetsone in my garage that I use for my chisels isn't gonna cut it.