Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:56 pm Hey Tops, when do you do a dry rub vs braising with a little bit of beer or wine?

My go to is a braise by spicing (salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme), searing on the q, covering in a dish with a 1/2 cup of liquid, oven @ 300 for 90, then 250 for another 90 or until easily coming off the bone. Could broil but have never bothered. No sauce.

I got a fairly sizable piece of goat neck and was wondering if you'd dry rub that. Or does it need to be more fatty?
I take that is supposed to "why". Because a dry rub works for me. Ribs I can eat with my fingers without a mess. I'll often add a few dashes of liquid smoke to the ribs or some smoked paprika. Wrapped tight in foil they braise/confit themselves. 2 1/2 hrs, no fuss no muss. Char some corn in a hot cast iron pan, add diced red pepper and a splash of balsamic, toss in a bowl with a bit of goat cheese.

Goat neck may be a bit lean but you could always add a slab of pork fat for some moisture.

Weirdly a friend claims he has to boil ribs in white vinegar for 2 hours then finish in the oven. Never tried them, not sure if I ever want to.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 pm Weirdly a friend claims he has to boil ribs in white vinegar for 2 hours then finish in the oven. Never tried them, not sure if I ever want to.
I used to boil ribs like your friend and finish them on the bbq, slathered with sauce, when I thought I knew how to cook. Nice fall-off-the-bones finished product, but the boiling takes away all the flavour of the meat and all you really taste is the sauce.

Then I learned how to braise my ribs and began to use it for all sorts of tough cuts, and have been using less and less liquid as I also don't like the messy eating. Hency my question on dry rubs as a natural progression of that.
Topper wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 pm Goat neck may be a bit lean but you could always add a slab of pork fat for some moisture.
I have some backfat on hand. Will give it a go. Thanks.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:37 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:29 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:08 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:46 pm Shut Ferland down for the year for his own good. Ditto with Sutter. The game is too physical for him and his fine bones and stringy muscles are too weak.

Fucking travesty that the air thief just weasels his way back in .
Ya I'm with you bro. Eriksson should be shot and pissed on.

This fuckin eggnog is lit AF. Eldorado 12 year rum plus the heavy duty nog = me feeling like 3am monday morning Skyo already
More nutmeg
Topper you put nutmeg on your spinach?
Sometimes. The past few years I've been using the recently overlooked nutmeg/clove/cinnomin trio.

It wasn't until I was in my mid twenties that I was reading one of those silly "How to tell if your children are on drugs" pamphlets that listed "your nutmeg is disappearing from the spice jars" that I found out you could get stoned off it. Did some research, I'm a scientist afterall, to find out has hallucinogenic properties. I focused it with a friend who, shall we say, knows his hallucinogens, to be informed the quantity required made the effort futile. Add to mix projectile vomiting and nutmeg can stay in the kitchen.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:03 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 pm Goat neck may be a bit lean but you could always add a slab of pork fat for some moisture.
I have some backfat on hand. Will give it a go. Thanks.
With a few slices of back fat it turned into pulled goat. Not bad at all, but I think I can do with almost no back fat. I guess the meat has enough moisture on its own.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Jamie Oliver’s take on a Swedish classic, hasselback potatoes, created at Restaurant Hasselbacken in Stockholm.

The original is peeled though, and only uses butter, salt and pepper.
And bread crumbs, sprinkled on top after the last time you add butter.

But Jamie’s version sounds OK too.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

notice how scarred his hands are from burns, that is a chef that cooks

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Those potatoes are unreal good.
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:01 pm notice how scarred his hands are from burns, that is a chef that cooks
His parents ran a pub. He has been cooking professionally since he was eight....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:51 am
Topper wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:01 pm notice how scarred his hands are from burns, that is a chef that cooks
His parents ran a pub. He has been cooking professionally since he was eight....
I'm familiar with his history. One of the few celebrity chefs worth watching if you can get by the commentary. His techniques and knowledge of ingredients are spot on. I have the series of River Cafe cookbooks, where he worked for a time, and they are terrific basic high level Italian fare. Most of these twats manage restaurants, few ever work in there kitchens. Those who do deserve credit.

When I was in the kitchen, our chef got a message at 8pm on a Friday night, his wife had just spoken with Rob Feennie at Costco in Richmond. This is when Feenie had his spiffy restaurant in Kits. Our chef, laughed and said, "doesn't he have anywhere better to be, like maybe in his kitchen manning a stove?"

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

My propane grill is a hoopty. I’ve read where a few of you characters have switched to briquette barbecues. How much would it set Hargraves back to get a decent unit? How many briquette do you go through? It’s certainly safer than propane ... is it cost comparable? Should I just get it pigtailed onto the gas line? Either way I’m done with propane. It’s a hassle and unless you go to Abbotsford Costco it’s not cheap and it’s like driving around with a bomb.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

There's a lot of really expensive ones out there now, but really you just need something big enough to hold the food you might one day cook for a group of friends.
I use a mix of wood and charcoal - rarely 'briquettes' unless that's all I can find in a pinch. Get a good, heavy duty cover and it will last you a while.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:09 pm There's a lot of really expensive ones out there now, but really you just need something big enough to hold the food you might one day cook for a group of friends.
I use a mix of wood and charcoal - rarely 'briquettes' unless that's all I can find in a pinch. Get a good, heavy duty cover and it will last you a while.
So like a Weber Grill and just use your own fuel? I’ve been on the propane train for 20 odd years now. I’m new to this old blue collar cooking.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Years ago when our propane grill died, we started using a little Weber grill and haven't looked back. Size matters - like if you want to cook a roast off the heat, or have a 2nd level for smaller things.

Edit - and get a chimney to start it all (necessity)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:09 pm There's a lot of really expensive ones out there now, but really you just need something big enough to hold the food you might one day cook for a group of friends.
So like a Weber Grill and just use your own fuel? I’ve been on the propane train for 20 odd years now. I’m new to this old blue collar cooking.
Depends what u want to spend. The 22.5 weber master touch is around 200-250 but stands alone with no sideboard. All the best controls but u need a table close by
I have the performer which is the same kettle part but gas assist lighter and a huge metal side table. Brand new its about 550. I dont use the gas assist at all i use a 20 dollar ghettomart chimney starter and its just as good.

Big green egg, traeger, weber summit, komodo joe are all 800 to 1500 bucks and are no better than what i have IMO

Best bang for buck weber master touch
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:48 pm Big green egg, traeger, weber summit, komodo joe are all 800 to 1500 bucks and are no better than what i have IMO
Yep - I would rather take that money and spend it on good meat. It's fire, smoke and food. Once you take propane out of the question, you can't go wrong.

A shelf is nice, like wiz says - Mine holds a large plate, but of course, since I'm in Nebraska I have the obligatory large wooden cable reel next to the grill. ;)