Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

You wrongly assume I have a heart.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

He also wrongly assumes that the meat you eat is an issue.

Pretty sure you aren't eating the low end chemically enriched cuts that most of the population gorges on.

Fuck that lion over there looks healthy.

How much fruit did he eat last week did you say?
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:Fuck that lion over there looks healthy.

How much fruit did he eat last week did you say?
Jeez Don, I think you've stumbled on something here. It's no wonder lions never even make it to 30 - too much red meat, not enough fruit!

Talking of "fruitarians".. Once in a blue moon if I'm really really really bored and in the mood for a bit of schadenfreude I go look up discussion forum on 30Bananasaday.com for people practicing the high carb raw vegan diet.. full of fun stuff like people who won't eat anything other than fruit wondering why they keep getting infections that won't go away, or why their fingernails and teeth are falling out..
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

When I ain't throwin down the booze on a Tuesday Wednesday I make up for the lost sugar intake by slaying a massive bowl of cereal. Lately it's been cinnamon toast crunch. Just chillaxin on the couch watching my shows with my massive bowl of sugary cereal. Totally awesome
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:When I ain't throwin down the booze on a Tuesday Wednesday I make up for the lost sugar intake by slaying a massive bowl of cereal. Lately it's been cinnamon toast crunch. Just chillaxin on the couch watching my shows with my massive bowl of sugary cereal. Totally awesome
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:I would cook it like a regular salmon fillet and then spread a bit of maple syrup on after I turn the fillet.

Pull the fillets from the fridge and get them to room temp and wrap it in a linen or paper towel to get soak up excess moisture. This will keep your fish from sticking when it hits the pan.
Get your pan hot, add oil, get it hot.
Salt, white pepper on the fillet and then top side down into the pan.
When you turn the salmon, drizzle or brush on a thin film of maple syrup.

Something else you may try is to heat, very low, maple syrup in a small pot with ginger threads. Poach the threads in the maple syrup. If it begins to reduce just add a small amount of water. You could brush that on the fish. Alternative to ginger may be star anise.

Another method would be to season the fish, brush with maple syrup and wrap in foil with a little sesame oil and soy sauce and bake it. I do this with ginger threads, and slivered green onions.

The trick with any fish cookery is not to over cook it. Rose (rare-medium rare) is how you want it.

How about maple ginger salmon on star anise rice and sesame oil zucchini?
going to make this tomorrow, not sure what version we will try.

This is going to be a stupid question but tell me again why do you pat a chicken dry before cooking it?

I made a chicken a few months ago, a whole baked chicken done in the oven, haven't done this in years and found a recipe.

Salt
Thyme
butter
pepper
rosemary (I think)

Patted the outside of the chicken with butter and herbs and salt and pepper
Did the same inside the cavity

Then made new potatoes with garlic and butter

My daughter who is 11 ate 2 platefuls, it was the best chicken I ever made.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I dry the meat to get rid of excess moisture, on a piece that will be grilled/pan roasted/fried, it will keep it from sticking, it also keeps things from steaming.

Next time you roast a chicken, a near weekly event in our house, loosen the skin and put the herbs under the skin on the breast and thigh.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

When cooking a turkey, herbs and melted butter always go under the skin. Haven't tried it with chicken, but I rarely cook whole chickens.

My one tip for turkeys is to cook them breast down for most of the time, then flip for the half hour or so to brown the top. I use string looped around the bird to perform the flip (after much trial and error- mostly error).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:the rice was abso-fucking-lutely delectable.
Mrs. Topper made rice the other night with chopped cilantro. Quite possibly the best rice I have ever had.

Worth a try Reef. Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote: Mrs. Topper made rice the other night with chopped cilantro. Quite possibly the best rice I have ever had.
I was out for dinner last week and a cilantro pesto basmati rice was served with my entrée...it was really, really good. I will be trying to replicate this at home as well.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Topper wrote: Mrs. Topper made rice the other night with chopped cilantro. Quite possibly the best rice I have ever had.
I was out for dinner last week and a cilantro pesto basmati rice was served with my entrée...it was really, really good. I will be trying to replicate this at home as well.
Wonders where Mrs Topper got the idea.........loads shotgun......

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Wondering why there weren't many posts I located either the Active Topics or New Posts link and stumbled upon this thread. Up to now I've never ventured past Canucks Corner or GDT. Amazing! Some of you tossers actually have a life! ;)

Some interesting tidbits here ... I'll have to scan the entire thread. In the meantime, anyone know how to roast a turkey evenly? I find that by the time mine is done (usually a 20+ lber, till juices are clear), the legs are almost falling off.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hey 5th - try using the 'search new posts' feature - it will open your world. ;)

search.php?search_id=newposts
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Donny, classic with short ribs is paparadelle (wide flat pasta).

sweat onions and garlic, 1/2 some cherry tomatoes and add. Mix in some reduced braising liquid and chopped basil. Toss with your pasta and serve in bowls with the ribs.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

How about deep fried mars bars, you got any tips for that Topper?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau