Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by KeyserSoze »

The Global G2 is also my daily driver and I love it.

Ming Wo sometimes has good deals on 2-3 pc Global sets. I see you can get a G2 & and GS1 for $129 right now!

http://www.mingwo.com/Knives/Knives-Sho ... en-Set-201

Your cutting board is very important as well. I like working with at least an 18"x24" board.

Made a very tasty Tom Kha Gai last night. It's nice having a place like T&T market available for dishes like this, where items like lime leaves, galangal, lemongrass, and decent qualify fish sauce are standard stocked items.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

KeyserSoze wrote: Ming Wo sometimes has good deals on 2-3 pc Global sets. I see you can get a G2 & and GS1 for $129 right now!

http://www.mingwo.com/Knives/Knives-Sho ... en-Set-201
This is what I did, actually checked last night and I have the G-55 Cooks knife. The package I got came with this, the paring knife and a serrated bread knife. I think at the time it was around $150 for the 3.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I made a lemon grass chicken a couple weeks ago, really went well and I used a knife for everything. Obviously it was not a great knife and I did a "good" enough job.

Cutting up lemongrass for the first time was interesting.

I am sooooo rookie, I had to google and youtube how to cut it up, didn't know what I could use.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: I am sooooo rookie, I had to google and youtube how to cut it up, didn't know what I could use.
Being a rookie is fine, just need the playing time to develop properly amirite?? ;)
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: I am sooooo rookie, I had to google and youtube how to cut it up, didn't know what I could use.
Being a rookie is fine, just need the playing time to develop properly amirite?? ;)
Less cap hit than having Topper do it for you.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lemon grass is pretty much inedible, cut it into 3"-4" lengths, them bruise it break the cell walls by gently beating on it with the back side of your knife.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote:Lemon grass is pretty much inedible, cut it into 3"-4" lengths, them bruise it break the cell walls by gently beating on it with the back side of your knife.
Haven't used lemongrass much in the past but this is exactly how I used it this time.

Bruised them, cut them, and simmered in stock for about 30 mins (along with lime leaves and galangal or ginger). Strain out all the solids and you end up with a super aromatic broth with very little work.

Cut up some chicken thighs and shiitake mushrooms and simmered in the broth for about 20 more mins, skimming the top every once in a while.

Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and a touch of sugar.

Serve with rough chopped cilantro and lime wedges (and chili oil if you want it a bit spicy).
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Seeing a lot of love for Global knives on here. I had been leaning towards this Shun
http://www.gourmetwarehouse.ca/chefs-sa ... hefs-knife on sale last year at House of Knives for $155, but wondering if you guys prefer the Global G2. At ~$50 less, it's substantially less expensive.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Went and checked the Global knife at the local place in Langley.

Wow.........

Tried the sample on a potatoe and celery, ok I get it, like a hot knife through butter.

Interesting fact - these knifes are made in my wife's home province in Japan. She is going back to Japan next March and may bring back a gift for us. The Province is famous for knifes and working metals.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:Went and checked the Global knife at the local place in Langley.

Wow.........

Tried the sample on a potatoe and celery, ok I get it, like a hot knife through butter.

Interesting fact - these knifes are made in my wife's home province in Japan. She is going back to Japan next March and may bring back a gift for us. The Province is famous for knifes and working metals.
That's one hell of a time out Reef. Glad you are converted.

Puck, its all about how the knife feels in you hand. If the Shun feels $50 better in your hand, then it is worth it.

Keyser, yum!

In the Caribbean, lemon Grass is known as fever grass and is used as a herbal remedy (tea) but not as a food seasoning.

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I made a poutine
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I made meatloaf

Image ]Image ]Image

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

World Health Organization says Pig Food is bad, bad, bad. Salami, sausage and ham is as bad as smoking cigarettes, asbestos exposure and drinking alcohol, 2 slices of bacon increases the chances of colorectal cancer by 18 percent. Meat is a carcinogen. WTF
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:World Health Organization says Pig Food is bad, bad, bad. Salami, sausage and ham is as bad as smoking cigarettes, asbestos exposure and drinking alcohol, 2 slices of bacon increases the chances of colorectal cancer by 18 percent. Meat is a carcinogen. WTF
Yes, we'll all die of colorectal cancer, because our life expectancy surpassed 35 years.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:World Health Organization says Pig Food is bad, bad, bad. Salami, sausage and ham is as bad as smoking cigarettes, asbestos exposure and drinking alcohol, 2 slices of bacon increases the chances of colorectal cancer by 18 percent. Meat is a carcinogen. WTF
Yes, we'll all die of colorectal cancer, because our life expectancy surpassed 35 years.
My grandmother lived to 96, chain smoked and had a pour diet. Had an uncle die in his early 60's, never smoked, ate well, drank moderately etc. A jammer he had. Fuck the W.H.O.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau