Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

Ikea used to sell those boards for around $20 LOL

If only they still did.

Some truck based outfit used to come by Dubulle when I was there......instructors would give the students who cared a none too subtle nudge nudge wink wink, DON'T
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Ten-Hut
:mrgreen:

I make a mean grilled cheese sandwich!

:look:

I like to read these posts, reminds me of my dad, who was a great amateur chef.

Yeah, I most certainly did not follow in his footsteps....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: I remember having a similar discussion with Aaron via pm as he was in the knife market a few years ago. I think he bought a Global G2 (8" chef) and a pack of bandaids. Maybe he'll chime in on how that knife worked out for him.
Global is the shit!

Such a difference using a quality knife, I use it for almost everything. Carving turkey is a breeze, veggies don't stand a chance, ever squished a tomato trying to cut it - yeah not anymore.

Splurge and get a REALLY good knife, well worth it. Definitely a learning curve and you will nick yourself but don't be a baby and just deal with it. It'll also eat up sponges until you figure out that you can't even feel the knife cutting into the sponge and you really have to pay attention.

Get the Global. Love how thin the blade is, we have a couple other Henkels that are decent but I go to the Global almost every time.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Go here:
http://www.gourmetwarehouse.ca/chefs-sa ... fs-knife-8

The store is on Hastings. The G-2 is on sale for $100. Great deal!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

South side of Hastings, a couple of doors east of Clarke.

Buy a knife, have a beer with the Berryman at the Princeton, then wander over and meet up with Doc at Clarke Park.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote:South side of Hastings, a couple of doors east of Clarke.

Buy a knife, have a beer with the Berryman at the Princeton, then wander over and meet up with Doc at Clarke Park.
The CC Trifecta! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ah yes, me ole stomping grounds. :blush:

Not sure if it's a good idea to visit Berry around Halloween though

... he's liable to take that new knife of yours and carve you up like a Jack-O-Lantern!

(no offense Berry)
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

damonberryman wrote:I have been a counselor for over 25 years ...
Mr. Berry was setting up an intervention for Blobby but got sussed.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Topper wrote:Ikea used to sell those boards for around $20 LOL
Not sure if they still have them, but Costco recently had a good deal on a cutting board by "All Thing's Kitchen" 18"x16"x2" for $30, Canadian maple. They went fast. I'm not sure if they still have them, but apparently they showed up more than once so watch for it.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

OK no electrical device and now looking at a proper knife, will still need to figure out how to sharpen it.

Silly question and yes I know it is, do you have a large knife for bigger veggies/meat and a small one for a glove of garlic.....

runs and hides....
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:OK no electrical device and now looking at a proper knife, will still need to figure out how to sharpen it.

Silly question and yes I know it is, do you have a large knife for bigger veggies/meat and a small one for a glove of garlic.....

runs and hides....
Get one of these to use before you cut each time:

If you don't want to sharpen yourself when the knife needs it you can take it to any House of Knives store and they will for you. There's one in Willowbrook.

Get an 8" knife and you can use it for basically anything. Youtube "knife techniques" or "proper cutting techniques" and you'll find videos on how to cut almost everything with a single knife. Get a good knife and you won't want to use anything else.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reef, start with an 8" chef's knife (I wouldn't use anything else on a clove of garlic) and work with it. As you become comfortable with it you'll reach for it for almost everything.

If you want to later, add a good pairing knife. Its a good idea to have one but start with a chef's knife. I love my 6" Wustof pairing knife, rarely use my 4" pairing knife though the wife does. A small slicer/larger pairing knife is again becoming very popular amongst chefs. Older European chefs have been using them for years.

The pairing knife is more difficult to use than the chef's knife.

If you have those two knives, the only other one you may want is a serrated bread knife. Buy a cheap one as it is neigh impossible to sharpen them. Pick up a new one every few years.

Using a knife steel isn't difficult. Hold the blade at a constant angle to the steel and stoke away until you're happy. The ^ of the blade bends over to one side with use, a knife steel does not remove any material to sharpen the blade, it just realigns the edge. The best chef I ever worked with never used a knife steel. He'd pick up who's ever chef knife was lying around and used the back side of their blade.

Never let anyone else use a knife steel on your knife because they will hold the bade at a different angle to the steel and probably dull your blade and then its off to the water stone again.

The sharpening stone and guide I linked to from Lee Valley make more serious sharpening a piece of cake.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

So Topper, which knife do you use when breaking down poultry? I used to use a paring knife, which worked well enough, but recently bought a 6" semi-flex curved boning knife which I really love working with.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A couple of starter pics

How to hold the food. Put your fingertip on the food and then roll your knuckles forward. The knife blade rides against your knuckles and you won't slice off your fingertips or season your food with fingernail shavings. Slice away in a rolling motion.

Hold the knife properly for control and to keep from nicking yourself on your bolsterless Global.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote:So Topper, which knife do you use when breaking down poultry? I used to use a paring knife, which worked well enough, but recently bought a 6" semi-flex curved boning knife which I really love working with.
Usually my 10" Global Chef's, but I'll also use my 6" Wustof boning knife (rigid) or the 6" pairing knife.

You can get carried away with collecting knives for every different task, I know I have, but my advise for most home cooks is to start with a couple of knives that will see everyday use and not go out and spend a bunch of money on knives that will see limited action.

This is why I recommend a 6" pairing knife over the more standard 4" pairing knife. The slightly longer blade is far more versatile.

Edit: Horseman - Have you ever used a Deba for breaking down a fish? I put my flexible boning/fillet knives to rest after I picked up a Deba.
Last edited by Topper on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.