Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by KeyserSoze »

Thanks for the info....and LOL at your son sending the dish back.

What type of potato do you prefer to use?

Do you bother indenting them with a fork before dropping them into boiling water or just leave them with a smooth surface? I get the fork ridges will allow for sauce to catch, but pressing on them seems counter productive when you are looking for a cloud like end result.

Once they are done cooking, do you toss them straight into sauce? or saute/slightly brown them a bit in a pan with some fat before adding the sauce?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I use whatever spuds are in the pantry...idaho?

Roll out a long tube about as fat as your index finger, cut into 3/4 to 1" lengths (I use a pastry scraper) and then quickly roll and flick them off the tines of a fork to create the ridges on one side, dimple on the other.

If they are the proper consistency, they won't stand up to sauteing. Straight from the pot to the sauce.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Thanks!
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Gorgonzola! Yum. It's possible that's why Gnocchi was invented - as the perfect gorgonzola vehicle.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hey Topper, back to the knives, what type of steel do you use to hone your blade? My wife just broke my ceramic and I need a replacement. I was in Britco in Langley today and found them priced from $35 all the way to $140!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

From an earlier post
The best chef I ever worked with never used a knife steel. He'd pick up who's ever chef knife was lying around and used the back side of their blade.
I use a Global ceramic because my wife treated me to it one Xmas or B'day, but more often than not, grab one of the Wustoff's steels in the drawer.

I'd say go cheaper, but look for a good length that you can work with and very little and consistent taper so the blade-steel angle doesn't vary. Get one a bit longer than your blade.

A ceramic will remove material and sharpen your knife. They also need a good cleaning every so often. Run a bead of dish soap down the length of the ceramic, them jerk it off with a sponge and the filings will float off in the soap. Then give it a good rinse.

Diamond steels are similar in that they will remove material. I'd avoid the them as there doesn't appear to be a consistent sizing or grit to them like a ceramic steel.

With a steel, all you are doing is truing the ^ of the blade. With use, usually as little as an hour, the sharp ^ edge of the knife folds over. Using a steel daily re aligns that edge.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cool. Thanks Topper!
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote:Edit: Horseman - Have you ever used a Deba for breaking down a fish? I put my flexible boning/fillet knives to rest after I picked up a Deba.
I was just rechecking your comments on the steel to see if you'd mentioned anything about fine cut vs. regular cut (I ended up getting the latter) when I saw your edit.

I don't do much filleting. I usually get the wild salmon when it's available and cut it into steaks, which makes good serving sizes for the kids. But yeah, those Japanese knives look pretty cool. Would love to try one out some time but my knife needs are pretty basic right now. I break down probably 100+ chickens and ducks a year and a narrow bladed boning knife is good for getting the maximum out of the bird, especially when removing the breast near the wishbone area. We are majorly into ducks right now and probably eat more duck than chicken.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

We have the knife all figured out but what about the frying pan?

There are so many things out there and some are gimmicky, we have a standard over not gas.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Thick base and heavy. It is the weight that retains the heat.

I have All Clad Master Chef Series that I bought in Guatemala many years ago and brought back to canada with me. This is the Master chef II set

A year ago my sister was buying a set of pots and pans for my niece and asked. My recommendation. Take a look at the Crappy Tire flyer and find a good set of pots and pans on sale in the $200-$300 dollar range. These are on sale all the time.

Look for three ply cladding, stainless steel cooking surface, well fitting metal lids, cast metal handles firmly riveted on.

Avoid glass lid, anything with a vent hole and handle made of anything but metal.

Something like this is perfectly fine for most home cooks. It is not clad on the sides, but has a thick base. Take a look and make sure the base is solid and it will be fine.

Stay away from something like this. True it is clad, but the lids are glass, have vent holes and the rims have shaped pouring spouts. That all means that the lid does not seal tight. I use pots for braising and slow cooking, you can't do that if the lid does not seal.

This often hits the sale flyer and when it does, go for it. Clad, stainless, metal tight fitting lids, but don't pay $850 for it.

For nonstick fry pans, I buy cheap ones at Ikea, replace them when they get dinged up. The ones I have been buying appear to be discontinued (365+) but this is similar.
Last edited by Topper on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

.......... and then you can add cast iron and carbon steel........

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

what about this type of frying pan?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/herit ... nDblzbSmUk
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:what about this type of frying pan?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/herit ... nDblzbSmUk
I wouldn't touch it, and at $85, LOL.

Non stick will get scratched, and then you throw them away. It is why I buy $20 ikea cheapos that work well.

I use a nonstick for eggs and not much else. A good stainless frypan is what you need. The thing is, a fry pan by itself will cost you 1/2 of what one of those sets I linked to will cost.

I have one of these as well as my AllClad. It's a great pan and at $65, it is not bad value for buying a single pan.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

You can fry non-stick in a stainless steel pan by heating on medium for a few minutes before you put in your oil/butter/lard. The trick is to add a few drops of water to test it out; if it rolls around like ball bearings rather than sizzling away, then it's the right time to add your oil.

When I chucked my last non-stick pan I didn't bother replacing it. Don't miss it at all.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Get pan hot, get oil hot, add dry food.........always, with few exceptions (mushrooms and fish).

It will stick initially, but will release as it browns.

#5 horse, that doesn't work for low temp cooking for things like scrambled eggs where a slow gentle coagulation is needed and you've got milk cream mixed in.

..............and have you ever seen how much butter you have to use for those low fat egg white omelette folks....lol. Their arteries don't know what hit them.