Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:25 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:42 pm I slayed a 36 oz steak in its entirety minus the bone, I may die but it was worth it
:D
I’m thinking of John Candy in The Great Outdoors :lol:
Hand to God, I pictured the same thing! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It was massive lol. Felt pretty rough a few hours on but lived to tell the tale
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The smoker is out for the warmer (drier) months.

Did an Elk roast and a Beef Tenderloin the other day.

Never done wild game in the smoker before. Turned out ok.

Mixed up a rub of minced garlic, salt, crushed peppercorns, white pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and minced red onion, stirred in some EVOO and coated the roast. Injected with beef broth and then wrapped it up in bacon.

Same for the tenderloin except I cheated with the rub and used a pre mixed one that had been sitting in the cupboard since last year. More heat to it.

Elk was decent. Tenderloin was mind blowing.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Once the steak is done, and it is resting on a rack for 5-10 minutes, put a couple of pads of herb butter on it to melt over it and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Few chunks of Stilton or broad shavings of parmigiana on the steak as it rests is also a go to for us.
What herbs would you recommend?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

2Fingers wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm
Topper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Once the steak is done, and it is resting on a rack for 5-10 minutes, put a couple of pads of herb butter on it to melt over it and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Few chunks of Stilton or broad shavings of parmigiana on the steak as it rests is also a go to for us.
What herbs would you recommend?
Parsley Butter use flat leaf
Anchovy Butter
Tarragon Butter - awesome for eggs
Stilton Butter
Rosemary Butter with game, manner add Juniper
Shallot Butter for fish
Chervil Butter

Usually use fine herbs or soft ingredients so as not to affect the texture. You could use other strong flavours lo like Rosemary and Juniper I suggested but you probably want to stain it before chilling, learning the Rosemary in May be rustic, but the Juniper would be gritty.

Garlic butter is probably the one most are familiar with.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 am The smoker is out for the warmer (drier) months.

Mixed up a rub of minced garlic, salt, crushed peppercorns, white pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and minced red onion, stirred in some EVOO and coated the roast. Injected with beef broth and then wrapped it up in bacon.

Same for the tenderloin except I cheated with the rub and used a pre mixed one that had been sitting in the cupboard since last year. More heat to it.

I bought a smoker a year ago for $500 and haven’t even fired it up. It’s set up for propane or chips/briquettes etc. How long does a guy need to smoke the meat? Obviously it depends... but what about couple pounds of Spring Salmon or a 4 pound brisket. It seems like a lot of fucking work and keeping an eye on shit. Not to mention the amount of fuel a guy can piss through.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:01 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 am The smoker is out for the warmer (drier) months.

I bought a smoker a year ago for $500 and haven’t even fired it up. It’s set up for propane or chips/briquettes etc. How long does a guy need to smoke the meat? Obviously it depends... but what about couple pounds of Spring Salmon or a 4 pound brisket. It seems like a lot of fucking work and keeping an eye on shit. Not to mention the amount of fuel a guy can piss through.
If it runs on propane it’s less work because you should be able to get it set to temp and walk away with the occasional adding of wood for smoke. The heat source is the propane tho.

I haven’t done salmon yet. Brisket varies. 4lbs probably 3-4 hours depending on temp. You want to get brisket up to at least 190 internally and then let it rest wrapped in foil and stuffed in an empty insulated cooler for 30-60 min.

Smoking is involved. No question.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ive done the full briskets (8lbs) for 12 hours at no more than 225. I'm curious how you did yours faster, what temp and if it was tender

I did ribs using the 3-2-1 method and they were possibly the best ribs i have ever tried. I used snake method charcoal burning at 250. Rubbed the meat with SPG, smoke indirect for 3 hours, wrap the ribs in pink butchers paper or foil, cook 2 hours more indirect wrapped then unwrap and sauce before cooking the last hour at 300 indirect.

Fantastic ribs
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:44 pm Ive done the full briskets (8lbs) for 12 hours at no more than 225. I'm curious how you did yours faster, what temp and if it was tender

I did ribs using the 3-2-1 method and they were possibly the best ribs i have ever tried. I used snake method charcoal burning at 250. Rubbed the meat with SPG, smoke indirect for 3 hours, wrap the ribs in pink butchers paper or foil, cook 2 hours more indirect wrapped then unwrap and sauce before cooking the last hour at 300 indirect.

Fantastic ribs
I've never done the smaller ones. I'm speculating based on weight. I've only done full. I was told once about 1 hour per lb.....give or take. As a general rule I never go by time but by temp.....so just budget a pile of extra hours and if it's done before you need it to be just wrap with foil then with a towel and stick it in an insulated cooler to rest. I've let them rest for as long as a couple hours and daaaayyyum! Super good.

The full ones, fastest for me was 10 hours. Brisket was fantastic.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:01 pm

You just dip that shit in barbecue sauce like no tomorrow, do you? Full dip soaking, then slurp the shit out of your burgundy stained fingers afterwards wiping the remnants on your shirt while yelling at your wife to bring you another Kokanee can in the Tri-city urban redneck style?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tapenade stuffed pork tenderloin.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:30 pm Tapenade stuffed pork tenderloin.

:wow:

Thats a dirty ass tenderloin

:D

What are you stuffing in there
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tapenade, I tossed Sun dried black olives, almond stuffed green olives, anchovies, garlic, herbs and evo in the food processor to make a paste.

Served the tenderloin with lemon rice and Greek salad.

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:14 pm Tapenade, I tossed Sun dried black olives, almond stuffed green olives, anchovies, garlic, herbs and evo in the food processor to make a paste.

Served the tenderloin with lemon rice and Greek salad.
Yeah, that's fantastic, a Greek friends old man prepared something similar for us in a previous life.

His hands didn't look like Gene Kiniskis though.

Btw Topper....Pear Tree did not make it through Covid.
Last edited by donlever on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

donlever wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:28 pm....Pear Tree did not make it through Covid.
:wow:

Serious?