Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am
BCExpat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am That’s a pretty sweet bar Expat. What was the final price tag on it?
I used pressure treated lumber for everything except for the bar tops and the cedar shingles. The roof deck was also pressure treated 1x6, as the underside is exposed and I didn't want to be looking up at OSB or plywood. The total cost was about $1300.00.
Did you treat all your cuts on the pressure treated lumber and were all your fasteners hot dip galvanized or ACQ rated? Chef needs to know.
Yeah I treated all the cut ends and I use ACQ rated screws (the brown ones) throughout. The foot rail is a CCA pressure treated rail, so it requires a different type of fastener (the old green ones).
I ask because I know Blobbee McHackster will not use the required fasteners and treatment when working with PT material on his Ted Kazinski shack at Leech Lake.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Always use galvanized up here Numbnutz
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 am Are you a commercial Builder? I’m in single family residential. The COV doesn’t accept spray foam in new builds anymore. You are forced to find other solutions, We went through this on a project regarding an entry porch landing that was over living space below (a basement). The challenge was stepping down to a 2x8 joist spec’d for the landing from the 11-7/8” TJI interior floor assembly, not dropping the basement ceiling below, achieving the proper r-value and venting for the entry landing porch floor/basement ceiling. And then figuring out how to achieve 2% slope with required step down from the interior side to porch. The building envelope engineering came up with a convoluted system using ISO board and laying down dimple board for venting. We poured a 3.5” concrete slab for the porch landing. All would have been made easy with spray foam but the city won’t accept spray. Had to find an alternate solution.
I'm an Architectural Specification Writer (although I retired last year). I consult to Architectural firms. My field is basically building science, building materials, specifying proper installation, construction contracts, site inspections, contract administration, etc. And yes, I work mostly on commercial, industrial, institutional and multi-family residential type projects. Anyway, the last major project that I worked on in Vancouver, we had some spray foam insulation in it. So maybe the City of Vancouver doesn't allow it on single family residential projects, but it is used on commercial projects.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 am Are you a commercial Builder? I’m in single family residential. The COV doesn’t accept spray foam in new builds anymore. You are forced to find other solutions, We went through this on a project regarding an entry porch landing that was over living space below (a basement). The challenge was stepping down to a 2x8 joist spec’d for the landing from the 11-7/8” TJI interior floor assembly, not dropping the basement ceiling below, achieving the proper r-value and venting for the entry landing porch floor/basement ceiling. And then figuring out how to achieve 2% slope with required step down from the interior side to porch. The building envelope engineering came up with a convoluted system using ISO board and laying down dimple board for venting. We poured a 3.5” concrete slab for the porch landing. All would have been made easy with spray foam but the city won’t accept spray. Had to find an alternate solution.
I'm an Architectural Specification Writer (although I retired last year). I consult to Architectural firms. My field is basically building science, building materials, specifying proper installation, construction contracts, site inspections, contract administration, etc. And yes, I work mostly on commercial, industrial, institutional and multi-family residential type projects. Anyway, the last major project that I worked on in Vancouver, we had some spray foam insulation in it. So maybe the City of Vancouver doesn't allow it on single family residential projects, but it is used on commercial projects.
Must be a different zoning as I’m in single family, the COV simply doesn’t allow it in single family, the other municipalities still allow it but are slowly adapting to the COV’s approach. The COV is always hardline with new building codes, to be expected, while it gets more laxed the further the municipalities are away from the City if Vancouver. Building new single family homes in Vancouver now is in the $300-$400 a square foot price now due to the insane required building practices - passive homes, Leed Homes, Green Build, Energuide etc. Not to mention the Builders and Sub Trades are charging through the roof. Vancouver Builders are making a killing. It’s a bit of a game in the COV now. They have Award Shows now for the home building industry that rivals the Oscars, it’s getting ridiculous, the builders act like celebrities. To bd honest I would dearly love seeing a massive correction in this industry
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey BC Expat, would love to pick your brain on contracts and administration, estimating. It’s an area I’m always trying to improve on, the hardest area in home building to be honest - Admin side.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:14 am Hey BC Expat, would love to pick your brain on contracts and administration, estimating. It’s an area I’m always trying to improve on, the hardest area in home building to be honest - Admin side.
I didn't get involved in estimating, but contract administration and construction contracts are something I have spent 45 years doing. So glad to be out of it now - my blood pressure is back to normal now :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:14 am Hey BC Expat, would love to pick your brain on contracts and administration, estimating. It’s an area I’m always trying to improve on, the hardest area in home building to be honest - Admin side.
You guys could grab a pint at the Astoria
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am
Chef did you used piss 'er up at the Sunrise Hotel? Of all the vancouver dive bars...that one was the diviest of them all
If you need air...call it in
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I think the last dive bar in Vancouver that I was in, was probably in 1974 or so - the Fraser Arms. Is it still there?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am
Chef did you used piss 'er up at the Sunrise Hotel? Of all the vancouver dive bars...that one was the diviest of them all
My only association with the DTES was through Ancestry and their places of business, a couple establishments they owned in and around ground central DTES. 3 generations prior to me were hell raised just a few blocks from ground central, in Strathcona. My Great grandpa - Bisnono’s house still stands at Prior and Jackson street, north east corner, 2nd house in (Well over 100 years old that house), they ran their booze business out of that house, Bisnono and Nono did, where many police raids took place. Nono spent time in Okalla, the dirty cops finally got ‘em after years of harassment. Nono was the one who bought one of this cities last standing stripper bars (bought 1940). My old man was the one who turned it into a stripper bar (1970) inspired by their friends over at the Penthouse. They were this cities East side OG’s. DTES was the heart of the city a century ago ya know. This was well before Docs time. It was a bustling area!! I caught the tail end of that era, ending in the mid 80’s. I didn’t ramp it up in those establishments like Blobbee did. Chef had an interesting child hood to say the least
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

https://www.vancouversafetysurfacing.co ... amEALw_wcB

Is this a good thing to put on your deck?

Tried a couple different things and not happy with the basic stain. Seems like I have to do it again ever 2-3 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

2Fingers wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:38 pm https://www.vancouversafetysurfacing.co ... amEALw_wcB

Tried a couple different things and not happy with the basic stain. Seems like I have to do it again ever 2-3 years.
Y'know, alotta folk are calling Joe Biden "2 Fingers" these days.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2Fingers wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:38 pm https://www.vancouversafetysurfacing.co ... amEALw_wcB

Never heard of it. Mostly use Vinyl when it comes to low cost deck surfaces. Tried Flexstone on a recent job at the request of the client. First time using it, not bad, it’s about the same price range as Vinyl. Flexstone is a liquid that is rolled on
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Vinyl plank flooring... I’m looking to put some vinyl planking in a couple bedrooms, living room, hallways, bathroom and entrance way. A buddy who’s a flooring rep can get me 5mm glue down for $3.30 a sq foot. He swears by the shit and said it’s a lot better than the floating floor, which starts out a bit cheaper. I’m out of this crib in five years, so I’m looking to keep the costs down a bit. I don’t have $$ like the Chef, so the King of Floors might be the way to go. Installation is going to be the same regardless.

Anyone have this flooring in your home? Any feed back as per glue down vs floating floor?
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 am Vinyl plank flooring... I’m looking to put some vinyl planking in a couple bedrooms, living room, hallways, bathroom and entrance way. A buddy who’s a flooring rep can get me 5mm glue down for $3.30 a sq foot. He swears by the shit and said it’s a lot better than the floating floor, which starts out a bit cheaper. I’m out of this crib in five years, so I’m looking to keep the costs down a bit. I don’t have $$ like the Chef, so the King of Floors might be the way to go. Installation is going to be the same regardless.

Anyone have this flooring in your home? Any feed back as per glue down vs floating floor?
We used a lot of vinyl plank flooring in commercial projects and multi-family residential projects. Designers seem to like the stuff. It's very durable and easy to clean. Floating floors (I'm assuming you are looking at laminate flooring planks), are very easy to install, but it does shrink and swell depending on the humidity in the house. I had it throughout my basement in the last house, and it was generally pretty good, but it does swell and shrink depending on the humidity in your house. That's probably wouldn't be a problem in Vancouver as your humidity doesn't vary as much as it does here in Alberta where it is drier in the winter when everything is closed up and heated - thus you have some shrinking in the winter and swelling or expansion in the summer.

I would go with the vinyl plank if it were my choice.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked