Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I don't have your mafia money. It isn't ship lap its plywood. The roof was done in 2000. I don't intend on going right over the top of the old shingles. The gutters are in decent shape. The work won't be done until spring , but I was curious what kind of $ I could save by ripping off the old shingles and getting rid of them. I guess I will find out more when I get a few quotes from some decent roofing companies. Fuck is that an oxymoron or what ?!
Probably isn't the same where you are but what some people have been doing here is finding a house that's being demoed and making a cash deal with that contractor and taking their old tar shingles there.
Just a thought..
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Over in drunken duncan the dump doesnt look through your trash too much...just bag it up and back up to the thing...if you want to ensure they dont look at your shit just have a clear bag of beer cans handy...those dump dudes will dive onto that like a 6am crackhead on a piece of rice in the carpet
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Huh? A 25 yard bin full of asphalt shingles won't cost you more than $800. weight dependant, unliess you have thousand layers of roofing up there. Are you that cheap?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

So am researching flooring so we can flip...
I have 2 dogs so hardwoods out..not to mention cost. Laminate or vinyl plank?
I'm leaning towards the vinyl but wondering if anyone has any handy advice on it or should i go laminate? It'll be like 1200+ sq ft of it including a kitchen.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:So am researching flooring so we can flip...
I'm leaning towards the vinyl but wondering if anyone has any handy advice on it or should i go laminate? It'll be like 1200+ sq ft of it including a kitchen.
What kind of dogs?

We put engineered hardwood with a matte finish in our place and haven't had an issue at all with 3 dogs and 3 kids. Though 2 of the dogs would get their ass kicked by cats!

Very durable stuff though, we've been here for 6 months now and I can't find a scratch.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote:
What kind of dogs?

We put engineered hardwood with a matte finish in our place and haven't had an issue at all with 3 dogs and 3 kids. Though 2 of the dogs would get their ass kicked by cats!

Very durable stuff though, we've been here for 6 months now and I can't find a scratch.
One of the dogs is 100lbs and does the scooby doo which will destroy the nicer stuff. I do like that better i agree but we are also flipping so more interested in laying something that wont kill the budget
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vinyl? Go ceramic at the very least.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
What kind of dogs?

One of the dogs is 100lbs and does the scooby doo which will destroy the nicer stuff. I do like that better i agree but we are also flipping so more interested in laying something that wont kill the budget
Go with some good laminate then, very durable and the new thicker stuff looks pretty decent!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Aaron i am really leaning towards the better quality laminate but those vinyl planks are so damn easy to throw down. You cut it with an exacto knife!

Corny no way for the ceramic. Its a bitch to install and it isnt suitable for living areas.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Aaron i am really leaning towards the better quality laminate but those vinyl planks are so damn easy to throw down. You cut it with an exacto knife!

Corny no way for the ceramic. Its a bitch to install and it isnt suitable for living areas.
If your 100lb dog will scratch the shit out of a hardwood there's a good chance he'll gouge a vinyl as well.

They really aren't that much easier than a click laminate!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

You're right...probably head that way. I once rented a house that had the shitty laminate and when water wasn't wiped up from the floor it would swell the seams. It left a bad impression but with the better quality water resistant versions available now I'm sure that wont be an issue
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hated laminate for years. Fucking garbage. But the stuff they have out nowadays is the way to go if your gonna flip the house. Cost effective, easy to install, durable and holds up to overweight dogs.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

These young guys trying to dump construction waste in north van got busted.
A disposal crew unloads construction waste onto a public trail near Edgemont Village on Tuesday. The pair were tracked down by police, who supervised the site’s cleanup by one of the men the next day. photos supplied - See more at: http://www.nsnews.com/news/vigilant-nei ... eA323.dpuf
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They probably work with Dude on his crew. Same assholes who drive a pickup full of drywall with the tailgate down on the Number 1.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Someone trying to get free demolition jk.
This 1908 north van heritage home is being offered for free, so long as you take it to a new piece of land with the cost of foundation work, permits, utility costs etc., moving the house will likely cost about $100,000 for this 1,800-square-foot home.

https://604now.com/north-shore-copper-c ... aoS4Osg2X4
Curious RD is that cheaper than building a whole new house? 1800 sq ft. for $100K basically.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.