Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They are both vinyl plank. One is a 5 mm glue down. The other is 4-6 mm snap together like the laminate shit. So it’s a floating vinyl plank floor as opposed to the glue down vinyl plank which is for high traffics areas.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am They are both vinyl plank. One is a 5 mm glue down. The other is 4-6 mm snap together like the laminate shit. So it’s a floating vinyl plank floor as opposed to the glue down vinyl plank which is for high traffics areas.
In that case I would do glue down, but either would be fine. You won't have any dimensional stability issues with either.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I haven’t done a lot of vinyl, when we have it’s been for areas like basements and laundry rooms, a cheaper solution, etc as it’s a hardier product, you can get it wet. Your sub floor prep work has to be very good as it won’t hide a garbage subfloor all that well

King of Floors is a shit btw
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Its the best Doyle. You cut it in with a knife, its indestructible and cheap. I got some extra ghetto thin shit at lowes .99 cents/sq ft and laid it down in the basement. No glue or fuck all....just snap it in then pack a fresh bowl. The whole room was done in like 2 hours
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:59 pm I haven’t done a lot of vinyl, when we have it’s been for areas like basements and laundry rooms, a cheaper solution, etc as it’s a hardier product, you can get it wet. Your sub floor prep work has to be very good as it won’t hide a garbage subfloor all that well

King of Floors is a shit btw
King of Floors is an option. Why are they shit compared to Diverse Flooring? Or Home Depot? Every company has shit to good grades of materials one would think. I’m just not going to be at this place longer than 6 or 7 years but I also don’t want stuff that flakes or chips. Sounds like the 5 mm glue shit is the way to go. We have that shit in our office and hallways and bathrooms at work and it’s tough as hell.

The sub floor it’s going on is fine. Nice and level, no issues
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Go see my buddy Peter at Casa Madera Flooring on Hastings near Boundary
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 am Vinyl plank flooring... I’m looking to put some vinyl planking in a couple bedrooms, living room, hallways, bathroom and entrance way. A buddy who’s a flooring rep can get me 5mm glue down for $3.30 a sq foot. He swears by the shit and said it’s a lot better than the floating floor, which starts out a bit cheaper. I’m out of this crib in five years, so I’m looking to keep the costs down a bit. I don’t have $$ like the Chef, so the King of Floors might be the way to go. Installation is going to be the same regardless.

Anyone have this flooring in your home? Any feed back as per glue down vs floating floor?
I redid my flooring 2 - 3 years ago and I am not the most handy with tools. We went to King of Floors because they had the best pricing and their product is as good as other places plus they have more options. I went with the floating because installation was a lot easier and forgiving for me to do and I was glad I did.

Maybe there is something about what RD said about cheap material from KoF because there where a few times where I had to rip apart the flooring because 1 piece had a slight 2 - 4 mm warp and it throws out your flooring. I did lose it a few times and went all Hulk and smashed the shit out the plank, I could have cut the piece and used the good part somewhere else but it felt good to swing the hammer. Fucking 2mm is big for flooring.

We went with the thicker padding on the bottom and they get you on this, everywhere I went the padding was expensive. If you have a room below where ever you are putting the flooring expect to hear more foot steps, it is a lot different than carpeting. I did about 600 - 700 SQFT and it cost me $2000 grand (I think), I cannot remember but carpet for the same SQFT is almost double that price.

The big thing is to check on the level of your floor. I had to pause a few times to get the sander out (yep a damn sander) to level out some imperfections on the floor. I should have went to Home Depot and rented a proper sander. I did it this way as it was a peak so if i wanted to add floor leveler then I would need a lot. Maybe I was wrong in the way I did it but it worked.

I have never had contraction or expansion on the flooring but I can see a few imperfections on the floor a mm or 2 but shit it is supposed to be wooden flooring with natural imperfections.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I have the lighting in the kitchen that is 20+ years old. Your typical 4 fluorescent tubes with a cover. Want to replace it but when I look at Home Dept they only have LED lighting now.

Would something that only puts out 3000 lumens be bright enough?

How do you replace fluorescent with LED?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

2Fingers wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:14 pm I have the lighting in the kitchen that is 20+ years old. Your typical 4 fluorescent tubes with a cover. Want to replace it but when I look at Home Dept they only have LED lighting now.

Find 5000 K or even better 6500 K rated "daylight" LED replacement tubes for your existing fluorescent fixtures. They will be the "ballast bypass" type.

Youll need to open the fixture and re-wire it as per the diagram on the new tubes. Usually its power to one of the pins on one end and the neutral to one of the pins on the other end of the LED tube.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bruh what's up with soaring lumber prices?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/wh ... -1.5404001
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 pm
2Fingers wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:14 pm I have the lighting in the kitchen that is 20+ years old. Your typical 4 fluorescent tubes with a cover. Want to replace it but when I look at Home Dept they only have LED lighting now.

Find 5000 K or even better 6500 K rated "daylight" LED replacement tubes for your existing fluorescent fixtures. They will be the "ballast bypass" type.

Youll need to open the fixture and re-wire it as per the diagram on the new tubes. Usually its power to one of the pins on one end and the neutral to one of the pins on the other end of the LED tube.
Reef will look like Gene Wilder once he’s done
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Reef will look like Gene Wilder once he’s done
I finally found someone to help me and it seems HD likes to keep lights in a different location, I was able to find a slim LED 5,000 Lumens for $99.00.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We've converted about 1/2 the fixtures in our building from fluorescent to LED - much nicer light and cheaper. When turning the lights on in a room means switching on 2 banks of lights with 24 tubes, cheaper lights are nice to have.

Here's our new project - removing the (partially water damaged) floor in the gym to make room for a metal art studio.

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m getting a Jack Torrance vibe out of Corny