Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Meds »

The Wolverine was really good. I thought it was the best of any of the X-Men movies. That teaser after the credits was great. I hadn't paid much attention to it prior to seeing it, so the time frame of the movie caught me by surprise, but I welcome the fact that it didn't just carry on from the Origins Prequel.

As for the writing etc, I thought they did a good job of not reaching for the moon with the action and effects. I didn't feel like they were out to wow the audience with visuals so much as they were out to tell a decent story that seemed to flow like a good graphic novel.....exactly the way a CBM should.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Pacific Rim was a great summer CGI flick, just don't expect good emotion and dialogue :lol: . The aliens and robots were well done and the pacing was decent. If your just out for a fun action flick I fully recommend it, will probably see Wolverine next.

Edit - the 3D in this movie was also well done, it wasn't distracting or pointless.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Anyone else who thinks that Sharknado is one of the greatest movies ever made?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Anyone else who thinks that Sharknado is one of the greatest movies ever made?
:wink:

Haven't seen it yet, but sounds like the greatest concept movie since Snakes on a Plane. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Anyone else who thinks that Sharknado is one of the greatest movies ever made?
What's a sharknado?

Edit-oh man that looks so damn good it's not funny. It takes giant balls to actually spend millions bringing that to screen
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

OK shoot me if you want, I actually did not mind Oblivion
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Summer movies are for fags.

And kids.

And fags with kids.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:OK shoot me if you want, I actually did not mind Oblivion
Really? that movie sucked big balls, Thor looks like it's going to be a gooter one!
And it comes out in the fall, so it's not faggity like all the summer ones.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
Really? that movie sucked big balls, Thor looks like it's going to be a gooter one!

Thor? Is that some sort of homo erotic thing like Spartacus?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:

Thor? Is that some sort of homo erotic thing like Spartacus?
Nope, but Thor would kick Oblivion - Jack's ass. nohomo
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
What's a sharknado?

Edit-oh man that looks so damn good it's not funny. It takes giant balls to actually spend millions bringing that to screen
Just watch it as a bedtime movie with the kid. He kept asking when Snuffy the seal would appear.

It is up there with Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D.

Tara Reid getting her red wings just before the credits roll is an added bonus.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote:It is up there with Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D.
About 3 summers ago the wife and I were taking an evening walk on the seawall, and in the field near Second Beach they were playing this on an outdoor screen, and there were about 20-30 people sitting on the grass watching.

Now, in the same location, they play movies once a week to an audience of thousands.

(But I've got to say, none that I've seen since have been quite as good as Creature from the Black Lagoon)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

First saw it about 30 years ago at SFU. Buddy hop a ride on the back of my motorcycle. We kept the 3d glasses on for the ride home.

Priceless looks from the drivers around us when we stopped at lights and stared at them.

The movie is currently on one of the sat channels (not 3D) and I watched it with the wife and kid a few weeks back.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote:The Wolverine was really good. I thought it was the best of any of the X-Men movies. That teaser after the credits was great. I hadn't paid much attention to it prior to seeing it, so the time frame of the movie caught me by surprise, but I welcome the fact that it didn't just carry on from the Origins Prequel.

As for the writing etc, I thought they did a good job of not reaching for the moon with the action and effects. I didn't feel like they were out to wow the audience with visuals so much as they were out to tell a decent story that seemed to flow like a good graphic novel.....exactly the way a CBM should.
Saw it last night, and we all gave it a thumbs down. Could have been a good story, but ultimately everything relied on the 'surprise twist' at the end, which brought the whole house of cards down.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:The Wolverine was really good. I thought it was the best of any of the X-Men movies. That teaser after the credits was great. I hadn't paid much attention to it prior to seeing it, so the time frame of the movie caught me by surprise, but I welcome the fact that it didn't just carry on from the Origins Prequel.

Saw it last night, and we all gave it a thumbs down. Could have been a good story, but ultimately everything relied on the 'surprise twist' at the end, which brought the whole house of cards down.
You're hard to please. :P

I didn't actually think the ending was a twist. Saw it coming the whole time.....unless you mean the after the credits part.

The story was much better than the previous installments.

It's no Chris Nolan's Batman series, but still.....