Muzac For Munsters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Muzac For Munsters

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"Help me build a mountain from a little pile of clay." :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"Then the sign said: The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls"

^ When I posted that on the main board (to mock your last song) I knew folks would remember this:

"And the sign said: Long-haired freaky people need not apply"

Looks like I helped you find a sign song with a little meaning eh Mick. :drink:

Yeah well that still doesn't excuse posting Sound of Silence or quoting some random nut's love for it bucko!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I always equate this song with a Zombie Apocalypse. - Zombies (another metaphor of brainless consumerism) gathering outside a shopping mall, drawn by the lights, not talking - just shuffling.

The same way Don't Fear The Reaper is played at the beginning of The Stand, I think this track could be used in an iconic Z flick. If a decent one ever gets made again.

-anonymous random Reddit comment
Here ya go Mick. It's about zombies and shit

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:16 pm
Yeah... well... even though Jorge Ben wrote it, I’m partial to the better known Sergio Mendes version...

... and if you want an updated version there is always the new version Sergio released in 2011 with himself, the Blackeyed Peas and his wife Gracinha on vocals:

(a shortened version without the Blackeyed Peas appears in the soundtrack of the animated movie Rio)
Last edited by Per on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw, you often see this song referred to as Mais Que Nada, which is a misunderstanding or hypercorrection, if you will.

”Mas que nada” is a colloquial Brazilian expression, meaning a slightly ironic ”yeah, right” or ”oh, come on”. But people tend to see it as the Spanish ”más que nada”, meaning ”more than anything”, ”above all”, and figuring that it must be misspelt, or mistakenly written in Spanish instead of Portuguese, and changing it to the more correct Portuguese ”mais que nada” thus changing the entire meaning and context of the lyrics.
It shouldn’t be “more than anything”, it should be “oh, come on!”

So, even though ”mais que nada” may look more correct, the title is ”mas que nada”.

Also, the ”o’ariah raió Obá, Obá, Obá” in the beginning of the song (and repeated later) is not just random scat song, it’s an encantation of the warrior god Obá in the Yoruba language. Obá is one of many gods within the Candomblé religion which is fairly widespread among black Brazilians and has its roots in Nigeria. It has many similarities to the Santería practices of Cuba.

To be fair though, I would assume most people who sing this song have no idea that they are adressing an African deity.
But Jorge Ben obviously did. From what I understand he had an African mother, and growing up a Carioca he surely was familiar with local cults and traditions. He is also singing “this is the samba of an old black man” so makes sense to spice it up with some invocatians an old black man might use. :thumbs:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Watching that Sweet video made me think of this tune:

Somehow I always wanna hear this crap when I'm on the piss
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

The original version is still the best imo Per :D

How about some of Mendes' Beatles covers though eh

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:56 am Btw, you often see this song referred to as Mais Que Nada, which is a misunderstanding or hypercorrection, if you will.

”Mas que nada” is a colloquial Brazilian expression, meaning a slightly ironic ”yeah, right” or ”oh, come on”. But people tend to see it as the Spanish ”más que nada”, meaning ”more than anything”, ”above all”, and figuring that it must be misspelt, or mistakenly written in Spanish instead of Portuguese, and changing it to the more correct Portuguese ”mais que nada” thus changing the entire meaning and context of the lyrics.
It shouldn’t be “more than anything”, it should be “oh, come on!”

So, even though ”mais que nada” may look more correct, the title is ”mas que nada”.

Also, the ”o’ariah raió Obá, Obá, Obá” in the beginning of the song (and repeated later) is not just random scat song, it’s an encantation of the warrior god Obá in the Yoruba language. Obá is one of many gods within the Candomblé religion which is fairly widespread among black Brazilians and has its roots in Nigeria. It has many similarities to the Santería practices of Cuba.

To be fair though, I would assume most people who sing this song have no idea that they are adressing an African deity.
But Jorge Ben obviously did. From what I understand he had an African mother, and growing up a Carioca he surely was familiar with local cults and traditions. He is also singing “this is the samba of an old black man” so makes sense to spice it up with some invocatians an old black man might use. :thumbs:
An old friend who has passed used to believe the Baden Powell Trail in North Vancouver was named after the great jazz guitarist ;)

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

A little Carmen Miranda in wonderful Technicolor (along with Ze Carioca and Pato Donald) :D

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:33 pm
An old friend who has passed used to believe the Baden Powell Trail in North Vancouver was named after the great jazz guitarist ;)
Well, I was stunned to find out the legendary jazz musician Don Cherry apparently had a side gig commenting hockey on Canadian television...

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:30 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Well, I was stunned to find out the legendary jazz musician Don Cherry apparently had a side gig commenting hockey on Canadian television...
Imagine my surprise when I learned that it wasn't really Linus playing the piano after all.

Mind blown ;)

el rey del mambo