TV Shows: What are you watching?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: TV Shows: What are you watching?

Post by Arachnid »

The Missing is a pretty damn good BBC drama if you looking to watch something with the Missus.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Louie's great.. I'm a little behind but I loved the one with Robin Williams.

It's not TV but I sat down and watched F for Fake the other night.. it was an entertaining watch, not comparable to Welles' best work obviously but a decent way to spend 90 minutes anyway. Pretty fucking dated though. :lol:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Just started watching Marco Polo. Decent, but waiting for HoC S.3 to come out…trailer is available.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

My TV is on the fritz. 7 years old and doesn't owe me a thing.

What is this Smart TV some talk about? Any thoughts on what to upgrade to when the time comes? Looking for a 55-60", but don't need to spend $2000
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BladesofSteel wrote: What is this Smart TV some talk about? Any thoughts on what to upgrade to when the time comes? Looking for a 55-60", but don't need to spend $2000
Just happened to have picked up this on the weekend, to be delivered this Friday.

Samsung 55"

Perhaps a game next week and you and your lovely ladies can come and check it out!

The amount we watch cable as opposed to Netflix, online movies and streaming shows we figured that the Smart TV was a worthwhile investment. Plus the Skype feature could be interesting! Besides with a media room forthcoming a TV upgrade was a must! :wink:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BladesofSteel wrote:My TV is on the fritz. 7 years old and doesn't owe me a thing.

What is this Smart TV some talk about? Any thoughts on what to upgrade to when the time comes? Looking for a 55-60", but don't need to spend $2000
Also look at projectors. Best movie watching experience and quality for the buck. Throw in a Apple TV and you got a smart one.... 8-)

http://www.projectorcentral.com
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Already have Apple TV, and 90% of our viewing is movies.

Perhaps a projector is the way to go.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I use a projector for a lot of the movie/sports watching as I prefer the picture (and love the 120" screen). Though I have a dedicated Theatre Room in my basement which helps.

If you are using it in your living room w/ windows and perhaps don't want to mount it (ie: not a dedicated theatre room) I would suggest the BenQ W1070. You can get it in a short throw version (W1070ST) as well if you don't have a long room. It retails $850.00 (or $900) if you want the 3D glasses. Best price per square inch in my opinion.

W1070 Review
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

So I got this new laptop for school and it has NETFLIX on it. Fucking amazing. Late to the party for sure, just binged watched Breaking Bad and it was alright. Last couple of season were cumbersome. Glad it didn't go another three or four seasons.

What are you watching on Netflix? Portlandia looks ok for a laugh, kids on the block guys take me back.

Lots of decent docs too, any recommendations?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Dexter was good..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rats19 wrote:Dexter was good..
First couple seasons for sure, the last two were tired.

Homeland is on Netlix, a lot of people seem to like that, but I find it kind of "meh". Whatever you do, don't play the drinking game of taking a shot everytime Carrie cries or spazzes out. You'll be shitfaced real quick...

I enjoyed House of Cards. Spacey is quite the devious prick in that one.

Walking Dead was a favourite, but it's getting recycled lately.

HBO is really where it's at, but if you're after streaming it's unlikely HBO GO comest to Canada before 2018. Easily the best roster of shows around... Sopranos, True Detective, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Eastbound and Down, Curb your Enthusiasm, Band of Brothers... even Rome, Deadwood, the Pacific and Boardwalk Empire all had their moments.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Wathching The Wire for the second time .. don't remember which channel. First time through I didn't even have a PVR. Now, even with a PVR I still don't catch all the lines. Apparently a new season is about come out.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

5thhorseman wrote:Wathching The Wire for the second time .. don't remember which channel. First time through I didn't even have a PVR. Now, even with a PVR I still don't catch all the lines.
Yeah I got HBO after it started airing, so I had to pick up on DVD. Think I watched the entire series in about 3 weeks.

Took the entire Sopranos DVD collection overseas. Once a couple of us started watching it, more guys would see one or two episodes and be hooked. I think about a dozen guys wound up watching the whole series before the tour was done.
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Thanks guys.

Homeland is with that main character from BOB, enjoyed him in that role. Might check it out. The wire and Sopranos dont interest me, but neither did Breaking Bad. :crazy:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The Wire is one of, if not the, best programs HBO has ever televised.