TV Shows: What are you watching?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: TV Shows: What are you watching?

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:31 am When you watch it think about how old they were at the time.
Yes - and they had been together since puberty - living in a fishbowl, etc. I shouldn't have been shocked by their ages, but I was when it was first mentioned.

I still listen to Abbey Road and Let it Be at least a couple of times a week. Hearing the origins of these songs has been really interesting.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:31 am To me it gets more interesting as it moves along Corn.

I have a pretty extensive Beatles knowledge in my back pocket for various reasons and could make a series of comments, opinions and summaries but will wait until it is watched by most.

I will say the following though.

It wasn't nearly what Let it Be purported it to be.

Yoko was not at all the reason.

Hogg was a fucking idiot.

As was Alan Klein.

When you watch it think about how old they were at the time.

For instance Harrison was 25.
My grandfather was a professional musician (classical/symphony) and insisted that the Beatles didn't write a bunch of their music. He said it was too complex for "untrained mopheads" lol

Lever if you haven't already, have a look at Yesterday. I think it was on Prime but may be Netflix. I enjoyed it
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:41 am
donlever wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:31 am When you watch it think about how old they were at the time.
I still listen to Abbey Road and Let it Be at least a couple of times a week. Hearing the origins of these songs has been really interesting.
Indeed....add the White Album in there for me. The Giles Martin 50 year re-make using the tapes found in Olivia Harrisons basement has some stellar stuff.

Their ages when writing and releasing albums like Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Pepper is amazing.

McCartney and putting together Get Back in Jackson's show is something to behold.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am
3 and they're all streaming now (assuming US and Canada do the same)
Only the first episode is out in Canada, unless I missed the others.

To me those is so interesting as our son is huge into guitar and he and a couple buds have started a band very recently. Again, I am not musically inclined outside of enjoying it, he has picked this up and is playing every day for hours.

I’m really interested to have him watch and see what he thinks as well. I know they’re currently wonder how to collaborate and write music.

He’s written some stuff himself and plays some of the greats mixing tracks together but being a cohesive band is really different.

Not a huge Beatle fan with knowledge but McCartney has amazed me. One scene in particular just stood and, and likely did for some band members at the time!

Definite must watch! Excited for the other 2 for sure. 2.5 hours went by pretty quickly!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

It's all available now AP.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:44 pm It's all available now AP.
Sheeit. Have to catch those tonight!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah cruised through 1.5 last night until I couldn't stay up any longer and the last half of part 2 prior to football this morning.

May watch #3 tonight based on how the late NFL game goes.

Also...it will be a rewatch series (at least once in the current time frame of life) for me to ensure I catch everything thats there.
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:56 am Just watched the 1st part of 'Get Back'. Interesting for a few reason.

How was this kept under wraps for so long?
It's easy to think of the Beatles as creative geniuses, but this doc shows just that things didn't just 'flow' - they worked to get things sorted out.
It's long! Not sure if this is for the casual fans, or kids wanting to learn about the band - but for lifelong fans, it's a great window to their creative process and the world of being a 'Beatle', and their unique personalities.
This is one of the greatest documentaries I’ve seen in awhile
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

What it does is eliminates a ton of misconception about the end of this band which had been misinterpreted and misrepresneted for over 50 years.

Interestingly Jackson, in talking to Starr and Macca throughout the process, found that they too remembered a more Let it Be scenario taking place and that they were quite (and pleasantly) surprised to see otherwise when reviewing the footage.
DeLevering since 1999.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

donlever wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:13 pm Yeah cruised through 1.5 last night until I couldn't stay up any longer and the last half of part 2 prior to football this morning.

May watch #3 tonight based on how the late NFL game goes.

Also...it will be a rewatch series (at least once in the current time frame of life) for me to ensure I catch everything thats there.
Watched the first episode tonight. Fascinating stuff. And it’s easy to understand Harrison’s frustration. He is a great musician and songwriter in his own right, but the band is all about John and Paul. Which also is logical, because they are geniuses, but still. You get it. He wrote some great songs too.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Get Back was incredible. Subscribed to Disney+ just for it. The kid and I watched each night as each episode was released. He was a massive Beatles fan even before watching.

Yes Hogg is a twit, butt it was some of his ingenuity of hiding microphones and leaving unmanned cameras running that made Jackson's work so good. Jackson has been interviewed on XM's Beatles channel and talks about some of the computer manipulation to extract conversations that the Fab 4 didn't want to share at the time.

I'm so glad Jackson included some Yoko singing.

Cuz, Yesterday was a fun flick, cool premise. Better still was the two minute "who's on first" conversation with the wife the next morning when she asked what movie the kid and I had watched the night before.
"Yesterday"
"Yes, but what movie"
"Yesterday"
"Yes, what was the name of the movie"
"Yesterday"

I'll give her a break as she'd just came home from a 16hr shift.

Since we now have Disney + Wanda Vision is brilliant.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Get Back was fantastic! Really cool to see how everything came together. Little lack of management but you could see at that point in their lives each wanted to go their own way.

Yoko being right beside JL all the time had to be more distracting than they lead on in the doc. The scene of Yoko “singing” had my dog barking at the TV.

Kids love Disney but haven’t gotten into too many other series myself, typically just watch the escapism movies with the kids every now and again!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:36 pm The scene of Yoko “singing” had my dog barking at the TV.
HA!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:45 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:36 pm The scene of Yoko “singing” had my dog barking at the TV.
HA!
And then McCartney's kid copies her! Classic! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:45 pm
HA!
And then McCartney's kid copies her! Classic! :D
Linda's kid
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.