Drug Addiction, Mental Illness, Homelessness…

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Drug Addiction, Mental Illness, Homelessness…

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Great article explaining the government’s corruption surrounding the DTES SRO’s

The Homeless Industrial Complex

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/adam-z ... e-homeless
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

The rich taking advantage of the destitute for personal profit?!

:shock:

I'd say no surprise here but then 5th would call me cynical.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 pm ... but then 5th would call me cynical.
... and he'd do it snarkily.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 pm The rich taking advantage of the destitute for personal profit?!

:shock:

I'd say no surprise here but then 5th would call me cynical.
Everyone knows this has been going on for awhile. Special Interest groups like the Portland Hotel Society and Atira have been making shit loads of money doing sweet fuck all other than to protect their jobs but claiming they are doing goodwill. BC Housing owns the majority of the buildings in the DTES and toss the needy into these rooms like animals, rooms that are absolutely disgusting and rotting costing the taxpayer $3,500 a month per room.

BC Housing needs to sell these buildings back the private sector and build new, clean buildings to house the needy on government owned lands
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They should ship them all up to the ft mcmisery prison camps. They get 3 hots and a cot, Somalian security guards to make sure they stay "home" and we don't have to see them
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:27 pm
donlever wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 pm ... but then 5th would call me cynical.
... and he'd do it snarkily.
Hey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:40 pm They should ship them all up to the ft mcmisery prison camps. They get 3 hots and a cot, Somalian security guards to make sure they stay "home" and we don't have to see them
A party barge
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The boondoggle of the DTES

Kennedy Stewart’s wife Jeanette Ashe was a board director of Atira Women’s Resource Society, which is one of the largest not-for-profit housing operators in BC. Atira runs a few of the derelict hotels DTES via financing through BC Housing via financed by the municipality of Vancouver. The Winters Hotel owned by BC Housing that burned down recently in Gastown was run by Atira. You might now understand why Kennedy Stewart wanted to defund the police and instead throw that money at BC Housing

Shayne Ramsay was President of BC Housing for 20 years until stepping down recently over controversies. Shayne Ramsay is married to Atira CEO Janice Abbott. BC Housing’s budget rose from $600 million to $2 billion in recent years with the help of Kennedy Stewart. BC Housing finances Atira. BC Housing along with Atira have been on a mad scramble buying up derelict hotels in the DTES to meet the promise they made 10 years ago to build up to 114,000 homes to house the homeless, drug addicts and mentally ill in condemned buildings they won’t finance to renovate. They promised to “build” not buy rundown DTES condemned buildings. Janice Aboott was asked in a news story on Global how much her and her board members salaries are she refused to answer

BC Housing funding practices under review

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... r-funding/
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m sure the shutting down of these legendary establishments in the DTES brings a tear to Pacific Blue’s remaining eye. Lots of memories in that hood eh buds?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:30 am

Shayne Ramsay was President of BC Housing for 20 years until stepping down recently over controversies. Shayne Ramsay is married to Atira CEO Janice Abbott. BC Housing’s budget rose from $600 million to $2 billion in recent years with the help of Kennedy Stewart. BC Housing finances Atira. BC Housing along with Atira have been on a mad scramble buying up derelict hotels in the DTES to meet the promise they made 10 years ago to build up to 114,000 homes to house the homeless, drug addicts and mentally ill in condemned buildings they won’t finance to renovate. They promised to “build” not buy rundown DTES condemned buildings. Janice Aboott was asked in a news story on Global how much her and her board members salaries are she refused to answer

BC Housing funding practices under review

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... r-funding/
Some great points RD and so disgustingly true.

The only question is which option is better? Building from the ground up or doing a proper reno on existing buildings?

As we all know trades are at a premium so not having to build an exterior wall or doing foundation work would seem the better option.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

These people are living in filthy tents in the same gear day after day. You give them a 12 x10 room with a bed and a shitter and a shower and three squares they won’t even give a shit about the asbestos in the walls. Just cut them off the drugs. Clean the drugs up for sure and legalize them but nothing is free.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2 Fingers, everyone has been screaming for them to build brand new buildings on already owned government lands like Riverview because renovating these buildings on expensive downtown real estate is ridiculously expensive, so they don’t bother renovating them, cause it’s too expensive. There mentality is to just keep buying more of these rotting old uncared for buildings and throw the zombies in them at the expense off the taxpayer, the living conditions are quite disgusting. I find it funny how the legendary slum lords the Sahotas were so heavily criticized when in fact BC Housing, Atira, Portland Hotel Society are no better, in fact they are far worst slum lords than the Sahotas.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:16 am These people are living in filthy tents in the same gear day after day. You give them a 12 x10 room with a bed and a shitter and a shower and three squares they won’t even give a shit about the asbestos in the walls. Just cut them off the drugs. Clean the drugs up for sure and legalize them but nothing is free.
You know that all the major gangs make a killing selling drugs in the DTES? It’s quite hilarious, it’s not even talked about, it’s actually why tent city exists, quick and easy access to buy drugs of any kind in one centralized area. There was an actual gang turf war surrounding tent city s when it was at Strathcona park. The police are too underfunded to deal with it.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How do you feel about cleaning up the drugs like blow and X and even heroin for that matter?

Take the bikers out of the equation. Too many people dying. It’s not the zombies either. It’s the boys going on a stag for a weekend or a golf trip. Dabble in a little snowstorm and they are tits up. Yet the zombies lumber around no matter how much shit they do.

It’s step 1 for the province IMHO. Then tackle housing and food stamps etc.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 am How do you feel about cleaning up the drugs like blow and X and even heroin for that matter?

Take the bikers out of the equation. Too many people dying. It’s not the zombies either. It’s the boys going on a stag for a weekend or a golf trip. Dabble in a little snowstorm and they are tits up. Yet the zombies lumber around no matter how much shit they do.

It’s step 1 for the province IMHO. Then tackle housing and food stamps etc.
There’s the theory that the legalization of all drugs like heroin, cocaine etc will be a major blow to the gang world, kill it essentially and help protect the safety of the user but I don’t know about that. I think some countries have done something like this (Switzerland?) and apparently it’s showing good results, I could be wrong.