Drug Addiction, Mental Illness, Homelessness…

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Drug Addiction, Mental Illness, Homelessness…

Post by 2Fingers »

Yes that is true but then we will have people say you can't force them to work.

We have become way too lenient IMHO and not just forcing them to look after themselves.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:36 pm This story seems to combine a lot the problem into one. :/

https://globalnews.ca/news/9220327/poli ... eless-man/
Very sad story for the constable and her family. Interestingly, the story says the homeless person in this case "... was once an accomplished actor and Emmy award-winning filmmaker with roots in Toronto". Who knows what made this person homeless, but it shows that a lot of times people already had a good start in life yet they end up on skid row. Imagine doing a drug that makes you feel so good that you could be lying on a couch shitting your pants and yet you're in absolute bliss. People have trouble quitting smoking and drinking and the feeling you get from that isn't even close. The only people who escape are the ones who really want to. Which is very few.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

donlever wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:21 pm .....we start guys at $27 bucks an hour as laborers.

No fancy ass skills other than show up and work hard necessary.
Don't we have enough crackhead drywallers already?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:15 pm
donlever wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:21 pm .....we start guys at $27 bucks an hour as laborers.

Don't we have enough crackhead drywallers already?
...no idea.

There will be no crackheads working for me however.
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

My insulator and drainage guy says that’s what he starts there labourers at simply because they struggle to find guys interested in that line of work
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCExpat wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:58 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:52 am Re open Giggle Mountain Hideaway and put the zombies there. Just get these people off the streets. There’s plenty of property up at Essondale to fire up some prefab buildings and they can have their own city.

Tired of the theft, the menacing, the mess, the eyesore and the danger these people put others in besides themselves. The gong show going on in Vancouver and other places needs to stop. It’s like the Walking dead down there. Bring in Norman Reedus to clean it up for all I care. But just fix it.
And out here in the country, the only thing I have to worry about are gophers - and I can shoot those from my deck ;) :mex: :drink:
It’s only because we are taking care of your drug addicts and homeless. Don’t worry they are working on ways of sending them back
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There are some well publicized gangs in our fair city doing really good business in the DTES. The Insites are a complete waste of fucking time and taxpayers money and only serve the purpose of being a nice little shiney object for political figures to talk about while on their soap boxes making false promises.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:10 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:52 am Re open Giggle Mountain Hideaway and put the zombies there. Just get these people off the streets. There’s plenty of property up at Essondale to fire up some prefab buildings and they can have their own city.

Tired of the theft, the menacing, the mess, the eyesore and the danger these people put others in besides themselves. The gong show going on in Vancouver and other places needs to stop. It’s like the Walking dead down there. Bring in Norman Reedus to clean it up for all I care. But just fix it.
And out here in the country, the only thing I have to worry about are gophers - and I can shoot those from my deck ;) :mex: :drink:
It’s only because we are taking care of your drug addicts and homeless. Don’t worry they are working on ways of sending them back
They're yours now Chef.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:28 pm

They're yours now Chef.
The homeless dude who killed Constable Yang is from Toronto. It’s stunning how many of the homeless drug addicts here in the lower mainland are not from here.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:42 pm The homeless dude who killed Constable Yang is from Toronto. It’s stunning how many of the homeless drug addicts here in the lower mainland are not from here.
If you were homeless, which Canadian city would you rather be in?

Sad story all around - and shows how someone with a seemingly good life can get knocked down so hard, that it's almost impossible to get back up.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:42 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:28 pm

They're yours now Chef.
The homeless dude who killed Constable Yang is from Toronto. It’s stunning how many of the homeless drug addicts here in the lower mainland are not from here.
He was an accomplished actor. It wasn’t his fault. We need to handhold and hug the homeless army. Scratch them a check and give them the free ride they’ve earned.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

It’s like giving bears garbage…. What do you get?

A bear that chases garbage and refuses to go back to reality of nature.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Like I said....27 bucks an hour...10% holiday pay....medical dental and long term after 3 months...show me something over 3 months we'll bump you to 30.

Another 3 well sign you up as an apprentice.

In 4 years you could be making 40 and on company pension.

My foreman are making a buck and a quarter easy.

Or.....keep doing drugs.

Your gig.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As an orchard owner in Jamaica told me, "lots of folks looking for jobs, not many looking for work."
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The line that always gets me is "we need to remove the stigma of ......"

When will the realize that the stigma also acts as a deterrent.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.