Is there a god?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

What is your belief?

There is one god, the Christian god.
24%
There is one god, not necessarily the 'Christian' one.
No votes
There are many gods.
12%
There might be a god, and I'm leaning that way as I get closer to death.
No votes
There probably isn't a god, but if I see proof, I'll change my opinion.
12%
There is no god or gods.
35%
Other.
18%

Total votes: 17

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Is there a god?

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How pety can this deity from interstellar space be for crying out loud!
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Tell us Doc, why did god give everyone different languages to stop them building the Tower of Babel? What was he really afraid of?

"And the LORD said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language there, so that they will not understand one another’s speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.

Genesis 11:6-8
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doc

Is the universe 6,000 years old?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:06 pm How pety can this deity from interstellar space be for crying out loud!
He was just stating the facts dude: Those who have an epiphany fall in love with God.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:32 pm Doc

Is the universe 6,000 years old?
I dunno Dude, is that what the aliens are telling you?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:

Everyone dog piled on Doc!!!!

If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 pm Tell us Doc, why did god give everyone different languages to stop them building the Tower of Babel? What was he really afraid of?

"And the LORD said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language there, so that they will not understand one another’s speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.

Well no one knows for certain

.. but personally I suspect our ancient ancestors were attempting to open a portal between this world and the spiritual world.

(God knew such a thing would be a detriment to mankind in the long run)

But then I'm not your average Christian. :mrgreen:

Why are you asking me and not searching that site I linked you to...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:40 pm :lol:

Fucking heathens...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:53 pm An oldie but a goodie is the bible!

Matthew 10:35-27
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."
Dat dere means those without the epiphany cannot understand/relate to those who have had the epiphany.

And that, as much as a person may naturally love family members, epiphany folk love God even more.
And that’s when it gets scary.

Then they start distributing the kool-aid.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:51 pm And that’s when it gets scary.

Then they start distributing the kool-aid.
Do I frighten you Per? :D

I haven't been to church in a dozen years...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I have to throw my god jabs every once in awhile here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So.... I guess we won't ever fully prove one way or another whether god exists, so maybe a couple of other questions to ponder....

Should religious be a basis for government? Should religion be considered when writing laws?

Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should churches that preach politics lose their tax-free status?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You and Dude will be cuddled up on his lap pretty quick :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:58 pm I have to throw my god jabs every once in awhile here.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 pm Tell us Doc, why did god give everyone different languages to stop them building the Tower of Babel? What was he really afraid of?

This is one of several passages where you can see that many of the stories have been copied from the older Canaanite religion, where El is one of many gods. ”Come, let us…” Notice that he is not saying ”I need to fix this!” but rather addressing the other gods in what was originally a group known as Elohim. This term is later used for the Jewish/Christian god alone, but it really is a plural form of the basic word for god. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_(deity)

Abraham wasn’t really a monotheist but a monolatrist, he believed in many gods, but he only worshipped one. And this is a pattern throughout the old testament.
https://www.ldsscriptureteachings.org/2 ... testament/

At some point an editor rewrote the stories and got rid off most references to other gods, as they were switching to monotheism, but it was sloppy work. You can see the very next sentence, after El or Yahweh or whatever you prefer to call him, it varies between dufferent parts of the bible, has asked the other gods to help him, they are suddenly gone! ”So the Lord scattered them…”
You find this type of inconsistencies throughout the old testament. They’ve removed the direct references to other gods but often left behind indirect ones, I mean, who is god supposed to be addressing with his ”come, let us…” speech?

Perhaps he is just an old man talking to himself and using a plural because his wife died recently and he hasn’t really gotten used to just speaking of himself. I can relate. I do that all the time. I keep saying ”we’re thinking of…” and then realizing I need to rephrase that to ”I’m thinking of…” I mean, in older tradition he did have a wife, Asherah, but in the bible she’s gone. Maybe he hasn’t gotten use to his widower state yet, and that’s why he says ”Come, let us…” ? :|

If so, I can certainly relate.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.