Is there a god?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

What is your belief?

There is one god, the Christian god.
24%
There is one god, not necessarily the 'Christian' one.
No votes
There are many gods.
12%
There might be a god, and I'm leaning that way as I get closer to death.
No votes
There probably isn't a god, but if I see proof, I'll change my opinion.
12%
There is no god or gods.
35%
Other.
18%

Total votes: 17

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Is there a god?

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:53 pm
Per wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:51 pm And that’s when it gets scary.

Then they start distributing the kool-aid.
Do I frighten you Per? :D

I haven't been to church in a dozen years...
When people love their imaginary friend or the voice in their head more than their family members, things can go very bad very fast.
That’s when people are willing to sacrifice their first born and shit. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:09 pm
Should churches that preach politics lose their tax-free status?
This one is easy! They should not be tax exempt to begin with!
Treat them like any other organisation.

Otherwise you get crazy shit like Trump burying his ex wife on his golf course so he can register it as a burial ground and avoid property tax.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Let's be honest Per, what really frightens you is that you know He could be real.

More real than we are in fact... since He created us.

And at this point you figure He'd be very pissed at you.

But please, by all means continue to pretend to be a Bible scholar, it's hilarious! :lol:

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusi ... -many-gods

https://www.thenotsoinnocentsabroad.com ... -testament
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:12 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:40 pm :lol:

Everyone dog piled on Doc!!!!

:lol:
You and Dude will be cuddled up on his lap pretty quick :lol:
If you're jealie we can give you the center lap area around the horn...
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If there is an all knowing, all loving deity that lets you repent at judgement,

I'm off tho Gomorrah to lick salt.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dude if they are letting psycho fucks like Clifford Olson into Heaven because he found god then well, not sure I want to share the same eternal cloud with the likes of him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:09 pm So.... I guess we won't ever fully prove one way or another whether god exists, so maybe a couple of other questions to ponder....

Should religious be a basis for government? Should religion be considered when writing laws?

Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should churches that preach politics lose their tax-free status?
Lol, Corn with the salvo of tangential questions to break up the dogpile :)
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:42 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 pm Tell us Doc, why did god give everyone different languages to stop them building the Tower of Babel? What was he really afraid of?

"And the LORD said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language there, so that they will not understand one another’s speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.

Genesis 11:6-8
Well no one knows for certain

.. but personally I suspect our ancient ancestors were attempting to open a portal between this world and the spiritual world.

(God knew such a thing would be a detriment to mankind in the long run)

But then I'm not your average Christian. :mrgreen:

Why are you asking me and not searching that site I linked you to...
Well, if you can bring portals into it then you can explain almost anything. Is that what your faith is based on?
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:53 pm An oldie but a goodie is the bible!

Matthew 10:35-27
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."
Dat dere means those without the epiphany cannot understand/relate to those who have had the epiphany.

And that, as much as a person may naturally love family members, epiphany folk love God even more.
Sorry Doc, just one more :(

Can one choose to have an epiphany? If not, how can god blame me for not having one to become saved?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:45 pm Let's be honest Per, what really frightens you is that you know He could be real.

More real than we are in fact... since He created us.

And at this point you figure He'd be very pissed at you.

But please, by all means continue to pretend to be a Bible scholar, it's hilarious! :lol:

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusi ... -many-gods

https://www.thenotsoinnocentsabroad.com ... -testament
I’m not a bible scholar, but I am a history buff, and the bible is interesting as it gives us a window into how people of the late bronze age/early iron age viewed the world. It’s fascinating.

And of course I do not fear any fantasy figure. There are perfectly logical reasons why people of old would invent deities, and religion has often worked well in order to unite a group and make them all pull in the same direction. Unfortunately that unity within the group has then often been used to dehumanize members of other groups and justify genocide. That part of religion I fear, the part that has bern demonstrated by eg Moses and Isis. I don’t fear their gods, as the evidence at hand makes it pretty damned clear there aren’t any.

And if there were a god, there’s always the chance that Swedenborg was correct. He claimed an angel had allowed him to visit heaven and he was surprised to find that there were more heathens than Christians there, but it turned out that in the end we are judged based on our actions in life. Thus many famous church leaders did not make the cut, whereas many heathens did. :thumbs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_C ... enborgian)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And if I were to die and despite all odds there were a god greeting me, I think Stephen Fry puts it best:
”Bone cancer in children, what is that about? How dare you!”

In theory, there could be an omnipotent god, or there could be a benevolent god, but taking a look at the world we live in, it is quite obvious that there cannot possibly be an omnipotent benevolent god. If there were, there wouldn’t be so much suffering.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:25 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:53 pm An oldie but a goodie is the bible!

Matthew 10:35-27
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."
Dat dere means those without the epiphany cannot understand/relate to those who have had the epiphany.

And that, as much as a person may naturally love family members, epiphany folk love God even more.
Sorry Doc, just one more :(

Can one choose to have an epiphany? If not, how can god blame me for not having one to become saved?
The way I see it, God leads you to the epiphany, all you have to do is follow.

And the way I see it, an epiphany is not necessarily necessary for salvation.

(only Jesus Christ comprehends the full mystery of salvation)

Also, the way I see it, Per's Swedenborg pretty much nailed it.

Meanwhile the Dude trusts a guy like Clifford Olson, lol...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:13 pm Well, if you can bring portals into it then you can explain almost anything. Is that what your faith is based on?
My faith is based on nothing less than epiphanies.

Portals are just for funsies...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:12 am And if I were to die and despite all odds there were a god greeting me, I think Stephen Fry puts it best:
”Bone cancer in children, what is that about? How dare you!”

[youtube] -suvkwNYSQo [/youtube]

In theory, there could be an omnipotent god, or there could be a benevolent god, but taking a look at the world we live in, it is quite obvious that there cannot possibly be an omnipotent benevolent god. If there were, there wouldn’t be so much suffering.
I guess you and Fry haven't heard about the enemy or the spiritual war that is raging.

The good news is the Bible tells us how it will end.

Spoiler Alert: No more suffering in Heaven.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

It seems Tim Minchin has had a change of heart: