FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar

Post by Carl Yagro »

Corndog, too early to book your tickets to Qatar to cheer for Canada?

2-0 at the half

EDIT: Book it! We Back.

:thumbs:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

That is freaking awesome. I remember 86 and how bad the team was.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

2Fingers wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm That is freaking awesome. I remember 86 and how bad the team was.
Is that the year we were the first team to not get a shot on goal, something like that?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Most fun I had with soccer was as a kid going to Caps game at Empire.

Absolute blast.

And a team chock full of great characters over the years.

....and well, for full transparency, being a fan of The Reds, Klopp, Salah, Jota, Mane, Van Dijk et all are making life enjoyable these days from that side of the pond as well.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:17 pm
2Fingers wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm That is freaking awesome. I remember 86 and how bad the team was.
Is that the year we were the first team to not get a shot on goal, something like that?
Compared to the world footy powers in 86, we were bad. But we lost the first WC game only 1-0 I think, so we weren't actually THAT bad considering our men's "program" back then. I believe we were the only team who couldn't score a single goal.
donlever wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:24 pm ....and well, for full transparency, being a fan of The Reds, Klopp, Salah, Jota, Mane, Van Dijk et all are making life enjoyable these days from that side of the pond as well.
Not a big fan of big money world football these days, but my team was the Gunners with the Frenchman Wenger running that great squad with Henry and Bergkamp. Also, just loved watching Zizou play. Zidane was an incredible player.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I became attached to Liverpool in the '80's when ex-Whitecap Bruce Grobbelaar signed on to tend net for them.

Then I got into Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush and Liverpool FC success and have been a fan ever since.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Must have been a big Steven Gerrard fan?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I’ll admit I tuned in for a bit today in between some around the house crap and running the kids to and fro.

World Cup qualifying is fantastic! The girls do well but also nice to see the guys compete with the best.

Christ if Canada can get back to the World Cup maybe there is hope for this hockey team we follow.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:38 pm Must have been a big Steven Gerrard fan?
Indeed.

Manages Aston Villa now.
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I'm a Gooner as well but that Champions League comeback win by Liverpool in 05 was some great viewing.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

However unlikely Liverpool has an opportunity to win an unprecedented 4 titles this year.

The PL title.

The FA Cup.

Champions League.

League Cup already won.

The Reds and Man City face off in an FA Cup semi-final as well as a PL first place battle (1 point currently separates the 2 with MC in first although Liverpool has one fewer losses) during a 6 day stretch mid-April.

Stellar stuff.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Image Image Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Looks like Canada won the CONCAF. Amazing since they didn’t make the World Cup last time. Lots of good young players on the team. Can’t wait until November
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sweden dominated the first half against Poland, but then Lewandowski scored on a penalty early in the second. After that Poland played strict defence with counter attacks and as Sweden had to press full steam ahead I guess 2-0 was inevitable. No World Cup for us. :(

Sad. We have a really talented team, but I guess we're in the midst of a generation change and many of the exciting players are at the beginning of their careers, so they lack that all important experience.

Alexander Isak (Real Sociedad) is 22
Dejan Kulusevski (Tottenham) is 21
Anthony Elanga (ManU) is 19
Mattias Svanberg (Bologna) is 23

I mean, sure, we have some older players too, like Emil Forsberg (30) and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (40), but there are a lot of young ones taking over. We played really well at the Euro 2020 that was played in 2021, but were rather unfortunately eliminated in overtime in the quarter final against Ukraine, in a game that Sweden dominated, but I guess we have all learnt over the last few weeks how hard the Ukrainians are to beat... :?

And then in the qualifications, after having beaten Spain at home, we were leading the group, but then lost games to Greece and Georgia (sic!) and finished second, meaning we had to go through the Czechs and Poles to reach Qatar. We did beat the Czechs, but then stumbled and fell against Poland. :cry:

Oh well, in 2026 there will be 48 teams, so it should be easier to make the cut.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.